Exploit or not... I genuinely need confirmation.

So, game mechanics are designed to make you move slower when heavily damaged. However, as many of us know, side stepping (strafing) ignores this speed penalty and allows you to move at full speed + sprint. It is used fairly regularly to escape death these days.

Is this intended and if not is it an exploit to use an unintended bug (For lack of a better word) to your advantage?

FYI I am not talking about in combat staging to land positional styles.

Comments

• Sin's use this exploit too when using vanish ....
  • Just wondering, do you fight stealth zerg vs stealth zerg? Most of the fights I get now days people are pretty classy and just happy to have a fight. Nobody gives a hoot about in game statistics anymore. My opinion of course.
  • Nope i dont play stealther , but i know some people using this exploit with vanish .
  • wondering how you "see" a sin using that exploit with vanish :)

is it like the old sprinting backwards in the water :)
  • run through is accepted; therefore all mechanics are. #1 not intended #2 (comma missing) no, use at will
  • @Carol_Broadsword any guidance one way or another?
  • Substrate wrote: »
    run through is accepted; therefore all mechanics are. #1 not intended #2 (comma missing) no, use at will

Sub does not protest.
  • edited October 2019 PM
    I am willing to bet run through/strafe weren't an intended feature. But also aren't an exploit. Simply a use of in game mechanics that sadly heavily favor the players that learn to use them instead of just saying they're exploits. Real exploits would be "Geometry exploiting, Lag Jumping, Screen Dragging. The ones that will actually get your account suspended if caught using.

As for Strafe when low HP. It's not a hard concept to grasp and anyone can do it VERY easily. Use it yourself to get out of a bad situation. It's not breaking ToS or an exploit. Just a use of game mechanics. Poor ones if I say so myself but nothing illegal.

Strafing although it seems hard it just takes a little practice. "Stick a Buffbot or a friend to you in a duel and learn to strafe around/through them and land side/back styles. Once you get that down go and master it on players in NF. Takes a day or two to get it down.
    Post edited by Impounded on
    Impounded - Warrior__________Gimpound - Champion
    Chantsy - Paladin____________Shaquilleoatmeal - Berserker
    Cowtastrophe - Hero__________Shrimpsticks - Infiltrator

Feel free to add me on Discord: Impounded#5743

>Daoc Videos<
  • Substrate wrote: »
    run through is accepted; therefore all mechanics are. #1 not intended #2 (comma missing) no, use at will

The reason why run through exists is actually very simple and has its origins in a problem that existed in a number of other games such as Helbreath: lack of run through created opportunities for players to block each other.

Using Helbreath as an example, say you wanted to block an area that was accessible through a narrow passageway. You'd just stand there and other players couldn't pass through you. DAoC solved that issue with run through. It created other issues but it solved a major one.
  • Yea collision detection has its pros and cons.