The cost of Race, Gender and Name Tokens

edited October 2018 in General Board
Hi. Ok. Firstly lets put this out there. I like the idea of MTX and have used similar micro transactions elsewhere. The problem here is this doesn't feel as if its equating to a "micro" translation. When the cost of a cosmetic change is equivalent or more than the monthly cost of playing the game (which we're all still paying for at full price), it begins to add up, especially as Race and Name changes are probably going to be the most common.

Race Change Token at 2450 mithril is around £20 or $26.3
Name Change Token at 1475 mithril is around £12 or $15.8

Can we get a consensus on this, as I for one would take advantage of this to re-spec high ranking toons, but i'd delete / reroll anything sub RR3-4 if I knew I was going to be waisting 20 quid on something I could remake in a weekend. I know of at least 4-5 potential changes i'd want to make across my 2 accounts, but spending upward of £80-£100 on this, seems like a waste.

I know that there will be a natural balance (as with all market places) were the price settles down based on demand, but I reckon these prices will put a lot of people off actually using them, especially when there is so much more to buy including weapon / armor changes. Also, why would the gender re-spec be set at a far lower price, if the mechanism behind the change is the same or similar?
Post edited by Auberne on

Comments

• edited October 2018 PM
    Sucks that I made my Inf my crafter, otherwise I would just reroll Highlander. Tokens to transfer crafters should be the next thing. Would love to consolidate my Mid crafters.
    Post edited by DaRedANT on
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • It's all about perception. The average consumer would rather buy 5 name changes at $5.00 a pop then 1 name change at $25.00.

That pricing is far too high IMO for a race/name change.
  • edited October 2018 PM
    It's all about perception. The average consumer would rather buy 5 name changes at $5.00 a pop then 1 name change at $25.00.

Maybe they don’t want a lot of them. If it were too cheap people could change names every week.

• its a business, im very happy to see real prices, me and my friend searched long and hard 1 time for a game with good pvp that was free, and both ended up spending like 80$ the first month on costumes and pets and stuff to make ourselves look cool lol

most sucesfull games these days are free and run a cash shop for stuff like daoc is finaly implementing, im glad to see prices like this, I know I paid it on other games no problem to alter my char how I wanted, I was very surprised when I used my plat to transmog my char gear it only took a 5$ code to do all 3 pieces I wanted, and thougth damn they are losing out I and im sure everyone else was ready to pay a lot more

get your bread boo boo ! and hire some more staff and get **** poppin again
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    It's all about perception. The average consumer would rather buy 5 name changes at $5.00 a pop then 1 name change at $25.00.

Maybe they don’t want a lot of them. If it were too cheap people could change names every week.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that. Based on that view point the pricing makes sense.
  • What, penalize those out who want to make a single change, to deter those who would otherwise abuse the system? Why not make the pricing reasonable but limit name changes to 1 or 2 per character to avoid people just swapping names every week (why you;d do that is beyond me). BS are going to make major bank anyway.
  • I do agree that cost is huge.
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Maybe they could make the name/race changes scale the way that respecs purchased from your trainer do? Have this at the account level and not per character. Start at $5, or some percentage of the final price, and increase exponentially until you get to the final price they have listed above.
    Post edited by Ophidian on
  • At $30 a race change is WAY to high.. wtf!

Infact a free race/name/gender should be given to all current accounts
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Whatever the price is going to be- stick with it b/c I don't want it lowered down the road and feel like I got ripped off.
    Post edited by Natebruner on
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781
  • I agree with Nate. Make it a fixed price now and keep it. The bad part is it is pretty damn expensive and literally anything under rr5 isn’t even worth spending the money on. Just retool and hit rr5 in a few nights of rvr
  • Just my two cents but its too expensive. I was going to race change 1 or 2 chars. I just dont think its worth it with the current state of the game and the population and that alternative server coming out in maybe 2 months.
  • I personally think it should be 30$USD for a name change .. Race should be 1 month sub equiv. No matter how much bitching is done about the price.. people will pay it.
    ~Westies
  • Interesting! Considering most names are already taken I would never insert cash on the chance I might snag a cool name. Race changes? You mean like changing my celt hero into Firby? Why? After all these years I already have one of everything.
  • maybe they could look at the old [/respec buy] method [when ra/realm stones weren't avaliable like candy] where each subsequient purchase is exponentially increased to prevent this type of abuse.

e.g. 10 > 25 > 50.
  • The cost shouldn't exceed a monthly subscription, in my opinion.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • edited October 2018 PM
    I think $15 for race change and $10 for name would be good.
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

• edited October 2018 PM
    DBL
    HERORIUS

• I have zero problems with the price that Broadsword has set. These should be available to folks that REALLY want them, and the cost should be high enough to prohibit people from changing their name every single day. Makes perfect sense to me.
  • Yeah i only have 2 toons that I am for sure changing both name/race on. I'll pay whatever....

But business wise makes more sense to have a lot of people changing races/renames.

Just don't lower that price down the road !
    HERORIUS

• I also don't think many people are going to re-name the same toon TWICE.
    Surely they have mapped out and saved the name they really wanted.

HERORIUS

• Having a high price isolated quite a few. Same thing for other mith stuff. I refuse to pay much if anything at all to change looks and stuff. If it was pretty cheap I might consider it
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Natebruner wrote: »
    Yeah i only have 2 toons that I am for sure changing both name/race on. I'll pay whatever....

But business wise makes more sense to have a lot of people changing races/renames.

Just don't lower that price down the road !

I’m doing 1 name change, and 2 race changes. Prices are fine imo. I agree don’t change price down the road.
  • They should give every paying customer 1 free race/gender change per account/realm when implemented.
  • Snaillyn wrote: »
    They should give every paying customer 1 free race/gender change per account/realm when implemented.

Agreed, one of each. That in itself would bring some people back.
  • Just watched the prices on this when i was about to buy a Mithril pack for a race respec.
    Considering i have a Firb Druid cus the manual said back then you needed the str.... i was kinda shocked.
    Was about to buy the 5750M pack but that would not be enough for my shitty choices of races in 17 years.
    1k for a race respec and i wouldn't had hesitated.

Out of pure principle not feeding a greedy corps, im not buying anything from the Mitril shop.
  • Prices change all the time on consmedic or optional purcheses (think video games you pay $60 to play day one (120 if it's a ea game because you need the deluxe addition) and then $20 a month later when there's a steam sale))

You are paying for the opportunity to do it now... And your right some whales or people with great need will pay at "full" price but price should go down (I like the increasing cost if name change is used offen)