Guide: Easy and cheap macroing for improved RvR performance!

SymSym
edited April 2018 in General Board
Hey,

I figured some people may not be aware of a simple way to improve their play and performance in PvE and RvR.

Macroing is legal in RvR and works as such for the following examples:

1. Binding enemy target ability and friendly target ability to the same button, thus allowing two commands to share one button depending on who you target. Example: single target heal and nuke on one key based on if you click an enemy or ally.

2. Binding multiple styles to one key. Example: side positional style and anytime style in that order to same button. So one press starts with side positional, and then after queues up an anytime as a backup. This is all done with one press of one button.

3. Binding one or several instant debuff spell and then a casted spell to one key stroke. Example: one button press casts instant con debuff, instant haste debuff and then immediately casts a castable DD.

4. Debuff train assisting. Example: one button activated quickbind for /assist macro, then immediately casts a body/heat/cold debuff. So every time you assist, you automatically cast a debuff. This way your MA target is debuffed before the first DD lands.

5. Switching to appropriate weapon before executing style. Example: if a shield tank that also uses 2h, every 2h style button assigned can also include a keystroke that clicks your weapon in quick bar. Such that shield slam key will press your shield quick bar slot then immediately hit slam. Vice versus if shield is out hitting a 2h style can select your 2h weapon then immediately press the style.

The cheapest way to do this is a programmable gaming mouse or keyboard as such as this Logitech 9 button mouse that costs only $19. The included software let’s you bind any keystroke combo to any key for use in DAOC.

Logitech G300s Optical Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse – 9 Programmable Buttons, Onboard Memory

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RH6R7C4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jtv0Ab1GECK2S

Or this one with 12 side keys for MMOs for $41:

Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse, RGB Backlit, 20 Programmable Buttons

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ywv0AbN7E85N9

Additionally any Razer brand mouse or keyboard allows the same using included Synapse software.

Then you just use Logitech gaming software to set your macros to whatever button you want!

Hope this helps! Further tips are appreciated!
Post edited by Sym on
Symonde (Cleric)
Symfriar (Friar duh)
Symsorc (Double duh)
Sympets (Theurg)
Symmond (Arms)
Some random mids and hibs

Comments

• edited April 2018 PM
    Good advice! Great post and if more people would do this their game play would improve 10 fold. I use the Razer Naga (20 buttons that can be macrod) and a razer gamepad for the left hand which has about the same amount of buttons. Also learn how to qbind right away!
    Post edited by GlissZewks on
  • These gaming mice can easily be bought at Frys, Best Buy and even Walmart.
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • Helps quite a bit to take stuff off of your bar.

I know Logitech can extend this to their keyboard. I've got some of my keyboard keys double bound for allied/enemy cast spells. That functionality likely extends to other brands as well I'd think.
  • Yes you can use AHK, but it requires scripting which some people are not comfortable with. Also it doesn’t allow binding to your mouse. I know how to code but even for me setting up AHK was a hassle. It’s much better if there is a nice GUI to walk people through the process of macro binding. Maybe someone can make a GUI for AHK.
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • I´ve used the Logitech G600 for a long time and it was very very nice. I didnt use all the keys on the side, I guess I only used 6 of them but the extra button for the ring finger was actually quite amazing. Used it as str-modificator tbh.

Switched to a fps mouse and I miss a few of the extra buttons from now and then tbh !

BUT autohotkey is a pretty decent solution too imo. Using it a lot.
  • AHK is overwhelming for some. The programs that come with these keyboards and mice tend to be very user friendly in comparison.

That said, there is a ton of documentation for AHK. It'd likely be made even easier if people decided to share a few of their scripts as well.

I also think AHK can do things the keyboard and mice software can't at times - I thought there used to be a one button weapon toggle if I recall... Unless it was a different game.
  • edited April 2018 PM
    I've got a logitech g600 but can only seem to bind one keystroke to each of the buttons..? Any advice on how to bind two keystrokes to one button?

EDIT: nevermind! I was in mouse-memory mode, so i was limited in what I could do. Switched to hardware game profiles on computer, works now.
    Post edited by Flowerpought on
  • I had the same problem @Flowerpought
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • Anyone have guidance on how to set this up? I only have 2 extra buttons on my mouse but would be very interested in setting up something that would allow me to heal/debuff/nuke etc by pressing "3" for example (I am assuming this is what the basic gist of this post is for?).

Being new back after 5 years, I don't recall how to do any of this.
  • What I did was use keybinds and make my mouse or keyboard press execute both.

Ie - keybind disease to numpad 7, and keybind cure disease to numpad 8

Go into your mouse/keyboard program or whatever you are using, and make the single button execute both Num7 and Num8 at once.

You need some way to change your keyboard/mouse binds... really depends on what hardware you are using.
  • edited April 2018 PM
    AHK is a lot smoother than the macro software for peripherals. You can also bind to your mouse with AHK. That said macro's really shine when you use a programmable peripheral in tandem with AHK.
    Post edited by Ysuro on
  • This is super helpful, thank you for posting! Anyone else have problems getting the Logitech multi-key to recognize the first keypress first?

I've noticed the backup (anytime) style firing first when trying to sidestun, despite being clearly square to the side.
  • Wik, you can do that using auto hot key but it’s not super user friendly. Otherwise you have to buy a specific gaming mouse or keyboard.
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • Sym wrote: »
    Wik, you can do that using auto hot key but it’s not super user friendly. Otherwise you have to buy a specific gaming mouse or keyboard.

Ugh, so basically either learn how to use the program you guys said isn't very user-friendly or get a mouse with more buttons on it? :(

I have a really nice mechanical keyboard for gaming but no clue how I would know or find out if it was capable.
  • Wik wrote: »
    Sym wrote: »
    Wik, you can do that using auto hot key but it’s not super user friendly. Otherwise you have to buy a specific gaming mouse or keyboard.

Ugh, so basically either learn how to use the program you guys said isn't very user-friendly or get a mouse with more buttons on it? :(

I have a really nice mechanical keyboard for gaming but no clue how I would know or find out if it was capable.

Check the manufacturers website.

If it's a Logitech or Corsair it likely comes with macro software that you can download. Depends on the manufacturer.
  • If you already have a nice keyboard, might as well spend a few hours to learn auto hot key. Tons of YouTube videos on it
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)