Recommended Character for New Player

edited July 2018 in General Board
Hey all -

I played this game a little bit when it first came out, but have been away for a long long time. I've been playing around with a couple of classes across all realms and having a ton of fun. With that said, I'm concerned about my inexperience.

1.) Any recommendation on classes that are newbie friendly (Any realm)? I'm actually not concerned about the difficulty of the class, but how easily they can perform their role in a group? For example, I normally play support classes - but if I screw up it might be dunzo for the whole group.

2.) How long should I stay in battleground getting the feel for my class before shooting up to 50? My main concern is people wont be patient with new players at 50, meanwhile in BGs people have been pretty cool so far.

thanks and appreciate your help!
Post edited by Rhizz on

Comments

• light tanks are very good atm and pretty easy, bm / merc / zerk

don't got so many buttons and your role is pretty easy / self explanatory

I had a lot of fun running around on mine for awile, u just trash stealthers/casters like nobodys business

and i suggest just rushing to 50, its better to learn how to play again and what other chars are like on the real level, not trying to learn stuff in bg's and hit 50 and find out a lot of classes are waaaay different then you tried to learn how to fight in bg's

good luck and welcome back
  • but in the end, you will do the best on what ever char you enjoy the best

you can probably play anything and make it work once you get comfortable with the game again, but imo to thrive you must play one you truly enjoy, you tend to do better on things you like, and its not about winning or losing anyway, its just about trying to have fun^^
  • Welcome back!

1: Albion - Wizard/Cabalist
    Hibernia - Eldritch/Enchanter
    Midgard - Spiritmaster/Runemaster/Bonedancer

I'd have to say these are probably the most 'upfront' simplistic classes in terms of roles and group effectiveness. They can fill a caster spot and your variance of forgiveability is fairly high.

2: Really as long as you feel is necessary until you're comfortable with the basics. Depending on the time you're able to play Hibernia would be best at during EU primetime for BG's/Zergs and Midgard for US primetime. Albion, currently, is the most difficult in terms of end game BG/Zerg capabilities.
  • here are a few 1 fight clips of some different type of character styles...caster / melee / stealther, perhaps watching what live action looks like on the different types you will get a vibe for what you wanna do

Stealther - farming coastguard (scout)

Melee - low rank light tank fighting stealthers (think rr5)

Melee - low rank bm fighting multiple visis

Caster (solo) - solo caster out fighting some multiples

Caster (zerg) - ranged caster in zerg fights

maybe watching a few dif types of play will help you decide how you wanna rock it ^^
  • can still bomb to if you wanna has fun and go that route B)

Caster (pbaoe) - kamakazie style

Caster (solo pbaoe) - putting down rr11 svg and rr8 zerk
  • Nice to see some positive feedback, you guys make me :) at times.

Honestly, if you play support classes and like them, play that. They are always welcome in groups, on any realm. Don't worry too much about letting your group mates die...the standard line is always "you were out of range" and all will be good :)

Welcome back!
  • Thanks for the help everyone :) Really appreciate it!
  • edited July 2018 PM
    if you like support here is my healer, with yellow buffs and like 318 dex I think duo with a bd lol

maybe @StreetCred will take you under his wing and drop a duo vid proving he can pick up some new old coming back players and still rip ! id watch and be a fan^^
    Post edited by Huehuaehue on
  • In regards to you asking when is a good time to make the jump from BG to NF, the sooner the better. The first 2-3 years I played was in Molvik only. I was afraid to go to "big boy" RvR in NF because I thought I was inexperienced. Turns out there were a lot more people much worse than me at lvl 50 and you assimilate very quickly. It takes time to learn where to go and where not to go, but if you can find an 8man/zerg and play your class well enough you will enjoy it much more than BGs
  • Definitely light tank like Hue said.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • You mentioned you usually play support classes. If you are looking for rvr experience then doing a support class isn't a bad start. All support classes are needed. For Alb it's Friar/Cleric, for Hib its Druid/Warden/Bard, and for Mid it's Healer, Shaman (or you could possibly substitute heal warlock but not as wanted as double healer). Any of these will get you experience in rvr groups. All realms run bg's but during EU primetime it's Mids and Hibs and during U.S. primetime it's Alb and Mids.
  • I was in your situation when I came back. Played a bit if molvik/CV on a skald and merc, then I started playing hib.

If you are gravitating towards support classes, I strongly suggest you play warden, friar or aug healer. They are the 3 easiest support classes to play well in my opinion. Clerics, druids and shaman are a bit more complicated because you have the double role of rupting/shearing and healing.
  • SymSym
    edited July 2018 PM
    Also, you can try a heretic. They have an uninterruptible (at ranged) DD that can tick to 600-800 over time. Or can be click spammed for like 250-300 every 1s with high dex. In addition, heretics get a good single target heal as well and good group buffs (10% health armor and power). It’s the only way for someone to play an uninterruptible ranged class in DAoC and is newbie friendly. Good for Zerg surfing and small man.
    Post edited by Sym on
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • Rhizz wrote: »
    Hey all -

I played this game a little bit when it first came out, but have been away for a long long time. I've been playing around with a couple of classes across all realms and having a ton of fun. With that said, I'm concerned about my inexperience.

1.) Any recommendation on classes that are newbie friendly (Any realm)? I'm actually not concerned about the difficulty of the class, but how easily they can perform their role in a group? For example, I normally play support classes - but if I screw up it might be dunzo for the whole group.

2.) How long should I stay in battleground getting the feel for my class before shooting up to 50? My main concern is people wont be patient with new players at 50, meanwhile in BGs people have been pretty cool so far.

thanks and appreciate your help!

depends on your play style.

do you play solo (lol, don't play a healer), small man, group or zerg ?
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    Definitely light tank like Hue said.

light tanks for solo or zerg .... no
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • null
    I like my zerker solo, group and is still fun in zerg open field battles
  • edited July 2018 PM
    i certainly like my savage for small man and fg, but for solo or zerg, meh.

the solo aspect depends a bit of upon you face op solo classes with solo specs and gear at solo spots or just solo in rvr in general i guess ....
    Post edited by Muylae on
  • Play a sneak like everyone else. Well, almost everyone.Especially if you have a bot account. or 2. or 3. etc.