ETA for classic server?

I'm sure this has been asked many times before.... What is the ETA for the new classic server?

Comments

• Sept 22nd beta testing. Should be fun.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • probably never
  • never gonna happen.
  • They said end of summer
  • Looks like it’s going to need to compete with 2-3 “classic” free shards; I just want a gareth prior to the stupid class buffs (healing styles, you get a DD style and you get a style DD). The game was most balanced to me in that time period even with Vamps running around on a ranged buff server which I like. They wasted too much time from announcement to get this going, it would’ve boomed if they did it right imo for the first couple of months then leveled out
  • edited September 2022 PM
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    Sept 22nd beta testing. Should be fun.

Hey DaRedANT!

Unfortunately you got that information from someone (puter) who has had a history of putting out his own personally misguided erroneous opinionated conjectures, more specifically, he again injected one of those into the partial quote where you pulled your quote from.

This is the quote from puter from the link provided: Alpha/Beta testing will be open at the end of the summer (*In the United States that is September 22 2022) “people to hammer away at the content we created.” We will rely on player feedback.

Notice what I bolded there. I did not hear that in the twitch stream a few months back, I only heard ""... end of summer"/"people to hammer away at the content we created""

So this may be news to guys like puter, but no season ends the same day another begins. Seasons end the day before the new season begins. So there are actually 2 different times for each season that we typically recognize. We look at the Astronomical start, and the Meteorolicical start.
    Here is a breakdown of this year's starts:

Spring Astro. start - March 20, Meteor. start - March 1
    Summer Astro. start - June 21, Meteor. start - June 1
    Fall Astro. start - Sept. 22, Meteor. start Sept. 1
    Winter Astro. start - Dec 21, Meteor. start Dec. 1

Reference from: https://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons

So what this means is, 1. The date that puter gave was incorrect by at least 24 hours assuming this is what the dev's meant on their twitch feed, so instead the date should be Sept 21, 2022.

However, we do not know exactly when beta will begin as despite the dev's best intentions, those of us who have played MMORPG's for any length of time know that in most cases, there will be unexpected delays in projects of which the time may not be able to be efficiently made up.

So therefore, it would be better to conclude that yes, the dev's intended for "end of summer" as a factual basis with the date being Sept 21 2022, but don't be surprised if this does not happen until a few weeks/or even a month or so later. Especially given the fact that we have yet to have any word definitive in confirming the Sept 21/22 dates, even less than 10 days out from the time of this posting.

As an example as to what I mean of a more "definitive", WoW's site and you'll find that they are talking about bringing back WOTLK expansion, WITH a definitive date that is just 2 weeks away.
    Most other game producers have done the same thing -- when they are close enough to being ready, they give a definitive date. Until then, the community will be lucky if anyone from the dev teams take the time to have a press conference concerning such matters.

So in other words, don't expect Broadsword to be any different in this regard. It is dangerous to put out false information, as it causes other ill-informed players to make ill-informed decisions. I.e., I would bet there are a lot of folks that have put in for vacation starting Sept 22 (from what puter said) for a week or 2, only to find out the hard way that the beta may not happen til weeks later.

And guys, I am with you on this. I want to play as bad as you, but let us wait on something more concrete from an OFFICIAL Broadsword spokesperson before we start throwing conjectured dates around eh?
    Post edited by LordGriffon on
    "And that's the Bottom line. Cause Stone Cold Griff said so!".
  • Unfortunately you got that information from someone (puter) who has had a history of putting out his own personally misguided erroneous opinionated conjectures, more specifically, he again injected one of those into the partial quote where you pulled your quote from.

This is the quote from puter from the link provided: Alpha/Beta testing will be open at the end of the summer (*In the United States that is September 22 2022) “people to hammer away at the content we created.” We will rely on player feedback.

Notice what I bolded there. I did not hear that in the twitch stream a few months back, I only heard ""... end of summer"/"people to hammer away at the content we created""

So this may be news to guys like puter, but no season ends the same day another begins. Seasons end the day before the new season begins. So there are actually 2 different times for each season that we typically recognize. We look at the Astronomical start, and the Meteorolicical start.

"TLDR notes taken by Zzx/Zyzix"

Context.

However, you are correct that there is no official date.
  • DaRedANT wrote: »

Hey DaRedANT!

Unfortunately you got that information from someone (puter) who has had a history of putting out his own personally misguided erroneous opinionated conjectures, more specifically, he again injected one of those into the partial quote where you pulled your quote from.

Spring Astro. start - March 20, Meteor. start - March 1
    Summer Astro. start - June 21, Meteor. start - June 1
    Fall Astro. start - Sept. 22, Meteor. start Sept. 1
    Winter Astro. start - Dec 21, Meteor. start Dec. 1

Reference from: https://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons

So what this means is, 1. The date that puter gave was incorrect by at least 24 hours assuming this is what the dev's meant on their twitch feed, so instead the date should be Sept 21, 2022.

However, we do not know exactly when beta will begin as despite the dev's best intentions, those of us who have played MMORPG's for any length of time know that in most cases, there will be unexpected delays in projects of which the time may not be able to be efficiently made up.

So therefore, it would be better to conclude that yes, the dev's intended for "end of summer" as a factual basis with the date being Sept 21 2022, but don't be surprised if this does not happen until a few weeks/or even a month or so later. Especially given the fact that we have yet to have any word definitive in confirming the Sept 21/22 dates, even less than 10 days out from the time of this posting.

As an example as to what I mean of a more "definitive", WoW's site and you'll find that they are talking about bringing back WOTLK expansion, WITH a definitive date that is just 2 weeks away.
    Most other game producers have done the same thing -- when they are close enough to being ready, they give a definitive date. Until then, the community will be lucky if anyone from the dev teams take the time to have a press conference concerning such matters.

So in other words, don't expect Broadsword to be any different in this regard. It is dangerous to put out false information, as it causes other ill-informed players to make ill-informed decisions. I.e., I would bet there are a lot of folks that have put in for vacation starting Sept 22 (from what puter said) for a week or 2, only to find out the hard way that the beta may not happen til weeks later.

And guys, I am with you on this. I want to play as bad as you, but let us wait on something more concrete from an OFFICIAL Broadsword spokesperson before we start throwing conjectured dates around eh?

Solid piece of trolling would read again.

Hey DaRedANT!

Don’t expect Broadsword to be starting Sept 22, only to find out the hard way, that the beta may not happen til weeks later.

That’s all you needed to say.

Sept 22 is the end of summer, that’s the date they said during the podcast. They said “End of Summer 2022”. So that’s the last day.

Note : Don’t plan vacations around a game, dude.

DaRedANT wrote: »

Hey DaRedANT!

Don’t expect Broadsword to be starting Sept 22, only to find out the hard way, that the beta may not happen til weeks later.

That’s all you needed to say.

Sept 22 is the end of summer, that’s the date they said during the podcast. They said “End of Summer 2022”. So that’s the last day.

Note : Don’t plan vacations around a game, dude.

Did you not even pay attention to what I, and more specifically what Broadsword has said?

You said "Sept 22 is the end of summer" and quoted puter as to where you got that information from. Again, THAT is not true. Sept 21 IS THE END OF SUMMER. You have fallen into the misinformation trap that I warned you about that was put out by puter, who is NOT any kind of peer reviewed, recognizable, subject matter expert in anything, including meteorology (weather and the seasons), much less an official Broadsword spokesperson.

Also, I would also add, that just a few days ago (almost as if Broadsword was intentionally making my point for me), they just put out in their newsletter to expect access to the server in beta status at the end of September.

Reference:

"The testing team is on track to being completed with server access by the end of the month."
    From Broadsword's Newsletter #65 Sept 20, 2022.

So in other words (unless something wild happens in the dev circle at Broadsword) in the next week (+2 days), and seeing as which Sept 30 (being the LAST day of "the month"), it would stand to reason (despite what puter thinks and puts out) that Friday, Sept 30. 2022 will be the day that Broadsword allows full access to the new classic server in beta status.
    And don't think that date was pulled arbitrarily out of the air. Notice it is on a Friday, which gives a full weekend for the initial start for beta to allow more players more time to get started.

But go ahead and listen to puter's misguided opinionated conjecture and wait til Saturday, Oct 1. before coming in to join the rest of us. We'll keep the lights on for ya.

"And that's the Bottom line. Cause Stone Cold Griff said so!".
  • Hello ! Opening of the server in BETA Planned today at what time please ? :)
  • Keep chasing that unicorn!! lol
  • Newsletter stated they're in alpha so not sure where you're getting beta from
  • But go ahead and listen to puter's misguided opinionated conjecture and wait til Saturday, Oct 1. before coming in to join the rest of us. We'll keep the lights on for ya.

I directly copy+pasted a TLDR of the dev stream that was posted in the DAoC general discord and gave due credit to the person who put it together. Your interpretation of their summary has nothing to do with my opinions. Furthermore, you're wrong about the testing phase: it's in alpha, not beta.
  • after awhile it starts to feel like this classic talk is just to bait old players into playing again for a week in anticipation before the server is never talked about again until numbers dip once more.

they got me i reactivated for 1 month :/
  • I'm guessing if it's still in Alpha it won't be ready till at least early next year maybe spring for the release maybe?
  • Figured i'd check in after another year. Apparently theres actual active testing on the new server for the past 3 months???!???!?

Any ETA? I would like to stop playing <shall not be named> and start resubbing.
  • Hope this is still being worked on.
  • edited January 2023 PM
    So , great chance now.
    **** is ****, so if live DAoC manages to set up a proper server many people will switch over.
    Which could mean as many as 3000 players active on a single DAoC server again for the first time in 10 years.

So please make it happen.
    thank you
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • Endoria wrote: »
    So , great chance now. so if live DAoC manages to set up a proper server many people will switch over.
    Which could mean as many as 3000 players active on a single DAoC server again for the first time in 10 years.

So please make it happen.
    thank you

First time in 4 years actually since you're mentioning those places that shall not be named. You should temper your expectations because BS will not deliver the same QoL that has been seen elsewhere for the past 4 years either. Expect something more vanilla.
  • I'd take a grindfest official vanilla (real 1.65 source code) server at this point. Some people won't like it, but the 1-2 day to 50 is too fast on these private servers.
  • puter wrote: »

First time in 4 years actually since you're mentioning those places that shall not be named. You should temper your expectations because BS will not deliver the same QoL that has been seen elsewhere for the past 4 years either. Expect something more vanilla.

I will happily take a release-day NF with a revamped OLD RA system over what other places have been offering.

Honestly, I don't really care how this new server actually looks, just that we get a chance to play and see for ourselves. Then I can decide how much time I want to spend there. Fact is, there is a player base that would play a new server and other places messing up their projects is great news if BS can release a server into the right time window.
  • I'd take a grindfest official vanilla (real 1.65 source code) server at this point. Some people won't like it, but the 1-2 day to 50 is too fast on these private servers.

Agreed, at least it would be 1.65 grindfest without weird extra content and arbitrary changes to gameplay and classes by devs who like one realm over the others.
  • it all depends on if Broadsword has actually been working on a server this whole time or not. The time for testing the new server was supposed to be in September based on some earlier post (the source for that info is no longer available from what I can see) This thread is one of the only active posts in whole DAOC forum so clearly there are people out there who want to play. Broadsword is being very tight lipped about this whole thing and it would be nice to see some real info come out, if even its to just let us know they are still (actually) working on this and its make progress daily/weekly.
  • It's been said multiple times that the server is in closed alpha. Though I do agree an update on that would be welcomed
  • I would happily volunteer my time to do some solid testing on the Alpha version of this server.
    I am not interested in the live server content.
  • edited January 2023 PM
    Endoria wrote: »
    I would happily volunteer my time to do some solid testing on the Alpha version of this server.
    I am not interested in the live server content.

Same. I haven't subbed since TOA was released and have been saving my $15 a month until Broadsword releases an actual classic server based on 1.65.

[removed please see the rules]
  • Alpha testers were reached out to by Carol via Discord. Chances are if you're not subbed, you wouldn't have been considered.
  • edited January 2023 PM
    puter wrote: »
    Alpha testers were reached out to by Carol via Discord. Chances are if you're not subbed, you wouldn't have been considered.

Ya thats fine, I'm not subbing to DAOC in its current state lol. F*** ToA and everything that came after it.

This subbed-only-invites limits their tester pool substantially. [removed please see the rules]

Let's hope they have quietly been making some great progress and an announcement is around the corner in the next few weeks.... .... .... .... .... ... ?
  • Is this really coming out or is this Camelot Unchained coming out?
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Given that private servers appear every 2 years and enjoy a lot of popularity, I think an official version of that server would be very popular too. I would certainly subscribe to get access to it and start over again.

I just absolutely despise a lot of the later DAoC content and pretty much bailed when I finally reached RR12.

All I really want is a new server that actually reflects the game during what I would call its prime playability level, Shrouded Islands.

No ToA bonus, simple and accessible templates without weeks and months of grinding epic dungeons, dragon raids or artifact encounters. No class balances patches and expansions that added stupidly broken classes or buffed classes with style procs or new spells.

I especially enjoyed when realms had a very unique identity in RvR with realm-unique RAs and class combinations that played entirely differently.

I have absolutely no issues spending 2-3 weeks doing PvE to level up and equip a character, but it should be possible for casual players too and not just people who can no-life it. Access to decent templates should not require the luck of the draw during a raid to get the same item EVERYONE else also needs. It should also not be stupid afk grind of content to get pity currency with which you can buy stuff after 10 raids.

Players need to have the ability to do content with just a group that rewards them for the time spent in a way that is not outshone by just afk sticking to a raid and not doing anything. (Which is a major problem on a certain private server right now)

When I think back to SI money was generated by everyone doing PvE content to salvage items, then pay crafters to make your equipment and if you were lucky you maybe had an epic dungeon BP or weapon, but NOT having those did not mean you were at a significant disadvantage, you just used crafted items with the same or very similar stats and replaced them some time in the future if you got lucky.

I want those simpler times back, where you did not have to farm for a week to get the 1/3 Scalar scroll drop, then level 3 days on blue scarabs for your scarab vest level 10. Just plain and simple good old DAoC. (With NF please, playing OF with hib bomb stacks on keep stairs when it was on Live was bad enough, no need to recreate it)
  • Endoria wrote: »
    No class balances patches
    Cries in Paladin as their sole purpose of existence is replaced by a potion................
  • If p servers are doing a great job, then why are you here asking for essentially the same thing?
  • edited January 2023 PM
    If p servers are doing a great job, then why are you here asking for essentially the same thing?

They aren't doing a great job though. They are all broken in different ways, with anachronisms or changes made by the devs to make it more to their liking, bugs in the code, or falsely implemented calculations and math.

I every server I played on had bugs, content problems or developer-introduced changes that alienated a large portion of the player base within a very short timeframe. Starts with simple mechanics not working as they did on live, like for example instant debuff pull, monster aggro, pet damage shields, monster absorb calculation, spell resist rates, you name it. Given that they had to basically invent all the code from the ground up means it was pretty much guaranteed to come with major issues.

I expect those problems to be non-existent on an official server, or easily fixable because the code already exists.

All I saying is that private server have a large fanbase, because they bring back a time in the life of DAoC that was very popular with a lot of players. Just paying on the most recent private server has reminded me why the game was so much better before 500 different use charges on items were added that had to be rotated to be active all the time to tingle the most optimal performance out of your class. Playing that version of the game is a chore and for people who were not as knowledgeable about the game it was impossible to understand why an enemy was so much better than you and what all the effects that keep firing off actually do.

AF debuff, resist debuff, Absorb debuff, fumble proc, armor piece debuff, bleed, dot poison, weapon skill debuff, 10% damage conversion proc, essence damage procs, stackable body/matter/heat dots, the list is nearly endless and that is only active procs on weapons you might encounter and have to know what they do.

I still have a video somewhere where I am rr11 I think on my infiltrator and absolutely massacre 3 NS (all rr3) in a 3vs1 fight with spirit legendary weapons. I never saw any of those people on those characters again, because they had no idea what the **** just happened to them and how to fix it. It was just too much stuff to everywhere that impacted how fights were going and, to many items that could be used on too many new and unbalanced classes.

That is why I enjoy servers with a classic ruleset and none of the ToA or later additions. Not because the content was all garbage, but because they added items and abilities to the game that made it too time consuming to obtain and then master for the majority of players to still be competitive.

And you only stay motivated for so long if you are constantly dunked on without understanding why. I personally never had that problem, but it is an issue I know many people complained about when they tried playing solo. They reverted back to playing in stealth zergs because they were unable to get the same performance out of their characters that other players did. Either by being mechanically bad at controlling them, having bad templates based on bad advice by people who had no idea how to build them, or a simple lack of understanding of which item charges you need to rotate through to maintain optimal performance.

You can transfer that analysis on every kind of gameplay scenario. If people die too often, they will group up into bigger zergs. If the game is to complex for people to learn it and understand, then the result will be that you have "better players" who will constantly farm the "less good" players. The later item additions to the game exasperated that issue in my opinion and returning to a server with an SI ruleset would remove 95% of that in one swoop.
    Post edited by Endoria on
  • edited January 2023 PM
    Endoria wrote: »
    I expect those problems to be non-existent on an official server, or easily fixable because the code already exists.

This right here is setting you up for some major disappointment. Good luck.
    Post edited by puter on
  • Great post @Endoria, I can fully commit to what you have said.
  • Curious as to what the draw is to such a bland version of the game? ToA was/is amazing (yes it was hot garbage and riddled with issues) and has since been changed drastically. Is it just a nostalgia thing? You actually enjoy bland gameplay? What happens when the population starts dropping heavily because of the way classic plays out?
  • Less buttons to press is why they want classic. Then when sweaties pass them up in RR, they'll cite that as the reason they can't compete and inevitably quit.
  • Curious as to what the draw is to such a bland version of the game? ToA was/is amazing
    6pza67y9mgk5.png

TOA was the single biggest disaster to hit this game. 1 monster drops 1 item (maybe) and that monster is on a huge respawn timer. If you're not part of a huge guild, with members committed to camping that spawn, there is little to no chance you will ever get the item let alone see the monster that spawns it. Also, you have to contend with the jerks out there who already have the item "But i want it for an alt" so they get TWO while you still have zero. Oh then you need to farm scrolls which are also insanely expensive or hard to farm, then you have to grind the item up to level...
    F***.
    That.
    Terrible, TERRIBLE game design.

Give us Shrouded Isles back.
  • What you just described hasn't been in the game for over a decade.
  • edited January 2023 PM
    I also said earlier i quit when TOA launched and havent subbed since. I don't care if they changed it, I don't want artifacts, I don't want cow people, I don't want cata classes, I don't want any champion levels. I don't want anything but Classic/SI.

This is like me saying my favorite flavor of ice cream and having people argue about it with me. "I dont want Raisins in my ice cream" ... "You know dude, raisins aren't that bad in ice cream" YES THEY ARE
    Post edited by ACrispyTaco on
  • No, it's like saying: I like X but hate Y even though I haven't tried Y.
    What you just described hasn't been in the game for over a decade.

It was the content that was responsible for the single largest drop in player numbers.
    Better just play WoW and raid with your guild, because there you do not have to camp GoV for 24h only to see someone solo it with 3 accounts before your guildies can arrive.

People quit because they could not be arsed to care about a game that made it virtually impossible to maintain competitiveness in RvR without no-lifing every new content update.

• My original point is still valid. Gearing on Ywain is arguably easier than the classic days.

Your real gripe with content is the added buttons. That I can understand.
    My original point is still valid. Gearing on Ywain is arguably easier than the classic days.

My gripe with the content is that people left the game because of it.

you trying to misrepresent what people write in this thread seems to be your normal modus operandi.
    Please scurry along, I'd like to discuss with the adults instead of wasting words on you.
  • edited January 2023 PM
    Nobody is complaining about the # buttons to press. You are implying that because you have a massive fragile ego and want to have a superiority complex over other people.
    Stop telling people WHY they don't like TOA (especially after they clearly said why)

Using alt, shift and ctrl my mouse alone has over 40 buttons, not including keyboard. I assure you, nobody cares about buttons to press lol. What a dumb thing to get hung up on and try to hold over peoples heads as some sort of "GOTCHA"
    Post edited by ACrispyTaco on
  • People left the game because of the grind. Grind has been fixed.

People won't come back because they can't compete.
    Reason 1. too many buttons, plz make classic
    Reason 2. too many high RRs, plz make new server

Not much to discuss here when the points have been proven time and again.
    No, it's like saying: I like X but hate Y even though I haven't tried Y.

No its like saying "I don't want Raisins in my Ice Cream" Then you come along and say "There still raisins in the ice cream but they're less **** than before" I dont care what raisins you put in the ice cream.
    I. DONT. WANT. THAT. $HIT.
    Nobody is complaining about the # buttons to press. You are implying that because you have a massive fragile ego and want to have a superiority complex over other people.
    Stop telling people WHY they don't like TOA (especially after they clearly said why)

Using alt, shift and ctrl my mouse alone has over 40 buttons, not including keyboard. I assure you, nobody cares about buttons to press lol. What a dumb thing to get hung up on and try to hold over peoples heads as some sort of "GOTCHA"

What are your views on AHK?