Catch Up in Caledonia Event

Have you or your friends been thinking of coming back to Dark Age of Camelot? Or are you a veteran player just looking for a change of pace!?

Join us this Friday, March 5th for your chance to start fresh and rapidly progress to the end-game with players around your level!

What is Catch Up in Caledonia?

A10-day long event that will take place entirely in the Realm vs Realm-enabled Caledonia battleground zone.

Players will start at level 1 and rapidly progress to level 50 all while earning gear, master levels, champion levels, and realm ranks along the way!

By the event's end participants will be ready to competitively RvR in the Frontier!

When does the event start and end?

The event starts precisely at 4 PM EST / 9 PM GMT on Friday, March 5th and will end on Monday, March 15th.

How does the event work?

For the first 3 days of the event, newly created level 1 characters will be automatically zoned into the Caledonia battleground where they will vie for control against the enemy realms!
  • This will be the ONLY way to get inside the battleground zone. Once inside, characters can voluntarily leave but CANNOT return!
  • All monsters, center-keep guards, and siege weapons are removed for the event. The only way to progress is by defeating realm enemies in battle and turning in related quests.
  • Charm-pet classes will be able to create a pet to charm at their realm's portal keep.

Full event details on the Herald link below

Click here to visit the DAoC Herald!
DAoC Community Lead
Broadsword Online Games
Tagged:

Comments

• Bravo, I know this is similar to the other place but props to you guys for doing something different and bringing a new aspect to it
  • I don't think this will be nearly as popular...missed the ball again, imo. I hope you have something planned for NF immediately after.
  • I just like that it's an event and something new!
  • I just came back and I am actually very excited about this.
  • KoeKoe
    edited March 2021 PM
    I just dropped my draws. This looks amazing. Few comments:

1) Will bp/rp pots work and if so is there a bp/rp cap for this event? (you mentioned the level cap but indicated realm rank may be higher than 5 at end).

2) Can you make it so xp/rp can't be turned off. Otherwise you may have 2 things. a) thid/molv people in set groups trolling the slow levelers (my kids, namely) and b) irc types dominating the first level instances. For b) it's less of an issue if they are at cap level, since once others are there the zerg types can form up and react in numbers.

3) This event may be fun enough (60-80% participation) that it does wierd things to underpop bonuses. Would you consider making the underpop bonus relative to Caledonia vs nf for the duration of the event? I promise it will help the game and create more action.

4) off #1 above, any chance you could lift the BP cap only in caledonia and also put in a bp merchant that sells the trophy mobs the bp merchant sold as well as the veteran subscriber rewards (for 600k bp+- so you'd have to participate to... participate for your 16 year trophy mob/pend bracer/tourn ring/djinn consignment merchant). I think this last one may be enough incentive to get the veteran players to participate for 10 days, which will both increase action and also give them something new to do (who might not otherwise, being set in their ways). Hopefully it also stops all the spam i see in region on a daily basis asking for that stuff for inordinate amounts of plat.

I see this being hella fun, even for my kids.Bravo, whoever thought of this.Please send a newsletter, email notification on this one. I can see a TON of lapsed players coming back for this (especially as you noted it would apply to free accounts as well).
    Post edited by Koe on
  • Koe wrote: »
    I just dropped my draws. This looks amazing. Few comments:

1) Will bp/rp pots work and if so is there a bp/rp cap for this event? (you mentioned the level cap but indicated realm rank may be higher than 5 at end).

Are you joking ?
    This event is a new proof that BS has absolutely no clue what is wrong with this game...
    All what is promised can be reached in half the time the event will last, easily.

Unless....
    RR11+ can be reached easily... then they would have some kind of a point....
    Balance in Ywain is so unbelievable off that only massive RR gives SOME compensation....

Mahv
  • Dude this event just sounds amazing tho it brings up some questions like how are you going to get cls and mls if you can leave the bg or mls i can see getting them after. And how would you train unless there are trainers there or can literally do /train.

But all and all this should be lots of fun
  • Names wrote: »
    Dude this event just sounds amazing tho it brings up some questions like how are you going to get cls and mls if you can leave the bg or mls i can see getting them after. And how would you train unless there are trainers there or can literally do /train.

There'll be NPCs inside the zones for all of this including activating CL's, training them, trainers, arbiter, etc :)
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • What, if any, respec limitations will there be? And what are you going to do to prevent one realm from dominating the event again?
  • Names wrote: »
    Dude this event just sounds amazing tho it brings up some questions like how are you going to get cls and mls if you can leave the bg or mls i can see getting them after. And how would you train unless there are trainers there or can literally do /train.

There'll be NPCs inside the zones for all of this including activating CL's, training them, trainers, arbiter, etc :)

how about guild activation?
  • Oh tha that's a good one and thanks for the info
  • This sounds fantastic. I'm a new player so definitely plan to participate.

One question: Will we be able to group with people in other realms, or is it restricted to only your own realm? Seems like grouping with other realms would eliminate the chance of one realm dominating.
  • Koe wrote:

2) Can you make it so xp/rp can't be turned off. Otherwise you may have 2 things. a) thid/molv people in set groups trolling the slow levelers (my kids, namely) and b) irc types dominating the first level instances. For b) it's less of an issue if they are at cap level, since once others are there the zerg types can form up and react in numbers.

3) This event may be fun enough (60-80% participation) that it does wierd things to underpop bonuses. Would you consider making the underpop bonus relative to Caledonia vs nf for the duration of the event? I promise it will help the game and create more action.

4) off #1 above, any chance you could lift the BP cap only in caledonia and also put in a bp merchant that sells the trophy mobs the bp merchant sold as well as the veteran subscriber rewards (for 600k bp+- so you'd have to participate to... participate for your 16 year trophy mob/pend bracer/tourn ring/djinn consignment merchant). I think this last one may be enough incentive to get the veteran players to participate for 10 days, which will both increase action and also give them something new to do (who might not otherwise, being set in their ways). Hopefully it also stops all the spam i see in region on a daily basis asking for that stuff for inordinate amounts of plat.

1 - No way to obtain them as you can't zone out, whether or not we add one is in discussion. Each level cap has a xp/rp limit other than once you hit level 50 then there is no RP limit.

2 - Probably not, at least not for this one, but will discuss it. Remember everyone starts at 1 and in the zone so won't have uber battleground items/templates.

3 - I'll find out more on #3

4 - BP cap is a code change and applies game wide, this won't change just for an event. The veteran rewards are not being offered outside of vet rewards as it just cheapens the reward if you can do x and get the item as opposed to a sub reward, we also won't offer them on MTX (the items at least) either as it's too close to pay to win. BP trophies......hmmmmmm interesting

puter wrote: »
    What, if any, respec limitations will there be? And what are you going to do to prevent one realm from dominating the event again?

The NPC that activates CL's will also give the free respeces as you get from the King right now (EC & sub accounts), plus the usual new toon respecs.

Re realm domination, some discussion about this just yet especially due to some feedback/comments from the community

uglydruids wrote:
    how about guild activation?

No guild creation in the zones.

One question: Will we be able to group with people in other realms, or is it restricted to only your own realm? Seems like grouping with other realms would eliminate the chance of one realm dominating.

Normal RvR rules, Alb v Hib v Mid, same as in NF. Mordred style is not off the table as a future (future future) possibility.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Ty carol for all the feedback on our concerns
  • a mordred style one in the future would be interesting because it might offer the only opportunity to play with (voice chat even?) some of your nemisis on other realms (for those who don't switch realms on this server). Not sure if thats good or bad but maybe builds community.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    I've seen a lot of criticism for this event, but I'll throw out my support as someone who typically only posts to whine. Many vets may be able to reach RR5 far faster than 10 days, but the gated progress will hopefully keep people on more even footing and will be beneficial in helping new, returning, or casual players who don't have the ingame knowledge or group of friends that will help them advance that quickly otherwise. I'm not sure that the 3 day lockout on new characters is necessary, but I guess you're trying to prevent RvR from getting too empty during the 10 days.

Good start, regardless of potential nitpicks. Hope you have more events like this planned throughout the rest of the year. This sort of thing is far better for Ywain's health than a Catacombs revamp or prettier housing plots. I know for a fact that you're getting at least two returning players for this event, and a potential third.
    Post edited by Drane on
  • I'm looking forward to this event, even though i am mostly a Gaheris carebear.
    Honestly, rather than new servers, such events, showcasing other locations and rewards, may be something that can be used to bring people back.
  • Drane wrote: »
    I know for a fact that you're getting at least two returning players for this event, and a potential third.

I know of a well -known player who is going to anonymously return for this.
  • Siabra wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this event, even though i am mostly a Gaheris carebear.
    Honestly, rather than new servers, such events, showcasing other locations and rewards, may be something that can be used to bring people back.

yeah I saw the teaser that maybe they would unlock some other type of PVE reward (trophy mobs?)
  • Like the idea :) +1
  • Should be fun!
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • Should have an event for equipment catch up too... level catchup was never the issue with DAOC, it was templates and some high-end items templates used - that'd be the real catchup.
  • Please fix enchanter pets in Caledonia
  • copy an event from another server it is still necessary that it is adaptable to the population of the game which is absolutely not the same as on "the other server"
  • However, i really like the ideea of random porting. Adds more action throughout the BG and also a random element to the action therein. Devs could consider implementing this for all BGs on Ywain.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    A little bit of critique for it

- Should have been a PVP ruleset to stop so many people from following each other.
    - Should start with a set of gear, even if it has no real stats, just the AF alone would help out vs higher-level people (fighting orange-purple con players isn't fun when you're naked)
    - SM, Chanter and Cabalist pets are really overpowered for the event during the earlier levels

Just my thoughts :)
    Post edited by BloodOmen on
  • After playing it for a few hours more there's a few things that stand out

- hard to get exp as a soloer as exp seems to be tied to killing blow and people either don't want to group or groups are full

- multiple groups following each other - this goes back to my previous post, PVP Ruleset really should be enabled for this so groups can fight groups rather than it being 3 way realm split/imbalance due to numbers.

Apart from that its quite fun.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Might even be a bug with experience, had 3-4 hits on an orange elf, got the deathblow afterwards and got zero exp. RPs and BPs seem ok tho.

tphd1o3qot7x.png

Edit: nevermind, just realized you only get exp from the tasks, that's a bit meh.
    Post edited by BloodOmen on
  • Great event so far. Loving it!!

But, for the love of all that holy, and I'm begging for this change: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it easier to get credit for a kill.

Requiring a killing blow for credit is a major major pain, especially for anyone who wants to run solo. It also makes groups in the same realm compete with each other for a last blow, which I suspect is no fun for anyone.
  • But, for the love of all that holy, and I'm begging for this change: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it easier to get credit for a kill.

Totally agree with that one. It's not so bad if you're in a group but as a solo player, it's significantly harder to get credit when groups just roll past and kill your target.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    After having tried this event for the past couple nights, here are my observations and suggestions.

Levels 1-4 and 5-9 instances are becoming increasingly difficult, more time consuming, and significantly less fun to get through. There are fewer players in them and, come Monday, there will be no source of new characters to populate them. Couple that with the inability to compete with higher level players, even with the buffs, it's simply not enjoyable. I was still one-shot as a level 1 by a level 4. The buff doesn't work in its current state and there is very little time to adjust it properly. I've experienced a handful of players out right quit because they couldn't level in there. Not a good sign for an event that's suppose to be fun for all. Consider removing these instances altogether.

Now, the 10-50 BG...Kill credit is still very difficult to achieve. I've heard through the grape vine that it's a technical issue preventing credit to be awarded similar to the NF missions (i.e. Personal and Group). That's not good. There needs to be an alternative way to gain XP for low level players as the level cap increases throughout the week. Low level players simply cannot compete with high level players. The only chance they have is to leach off other high level player kills, hopefully landing a death blow for credit, or to get PLed by higher level players in a group. As the week goes on, there will be a very large disparity between players levels due to time constraints for those who simply cannot play every day. This event will become less populated with each level cap effectively killing it before the final day is reached. Remember, the title of the event is Catch up in Caledonia, not Be Left Behind in Caledonia.

Since it is not feasible for BS to change kill credit from deathblows to tagging (i.e. damaging another player that dies for credit regardless of who gets the deathblow), then there needs to be an alternative catchup mechanism in place. As new characters will not be allowed to enter the event on Monday, I suggest that a minimum level is imposed as the level cap increases for each subsequent day. Players who do not meet said minimum and are still in the event should be granted sufficient XP from another source to reach said minimum level. My personal suggestion is that the minimum level be no less than 5 levels of the daily cap. Simply increasing the XP bonus for low level players won't solve the issue. Recall, that 1,000,000 x 0 still equals 0. One potential way to address this problem is to introduce a new task specifically for players who are more than 5 levels below the daily cap that allows them to PvE their XP. This can be as simple as introducing a scouting quest where players need to reach any PK or the CK itself to gain credit (think Molvik and Leirvik tower quests). The XP reward can range from multiple bubbles to a whole level per completion until the minimum level is reached. A more dynamic approach would include "markers" scattered throughout the map to encourage players to roam instead of camping the three PKs and CK. The nuances don't need to be fleshed out for this current event other than to provide a path for low level players to gain enough XP to be competitive with those at level cap.

This event is not original. That's fine. It can still be fun and has been depending on the time of day. However, there are a number of poor design choices made, regardless of the reasons for them (i.e. old code). I'll leave my suggestions regarding some of them for a future event after this one finishes. In the mean time, there needs to be some way to address the inevitable level disparity between players as that is the immediate problem, foreseeable since the announcement. Please introduce a catch up mechanism ASAP before the event bleeds too many players into their graves.
    Post edited by puter on
  • edited March 2021 PM
    I applaud BS for doing this event because it shows what make dark age a great game .... When people get to levels 45+ however I suspect the enjoyment and novelty will wear off for many as the reality of modern daoc sets in (MLs, CLs, item /uses etc). Then after event ends going from constant action in Caledonia back to an oversized NF that has never been popular with the majority of people who have ever played daoc.... hopefully BS can use this opportunity to reflect on what actually keeps people playing this game.
    Post edited by Esel on
  • Esel wrote: »
    ...I suspect the enjoyment and novelty will wear off for many as the reality of modern daoc sets in (MLs, CLs, item /uses etc).

After dabbling on that other server, I'm actually really looking forward to MLs, CLs, and other "advanced" DAoC features here.
    Esel wrote: »
    Then after event ends going from constant action in Caledonia back to an oversized NF that has never been popular with the majority of people who have ever played daoc....

I actually really like NF. It was a VAST improvement over OF. That being said, it would be great if they shrunk it down a bit to match the current population.

• On paper seems like a fun idea but as a couple others have pointed out if you don't have a group to run with regularly and you "fall behind" its really hard to catch up and becomes pretty unenjoyable pretty fast.
  • any possibility to make this a instant level 10? very difficult to level to 5 with no one in the bg to fight
  • Agree with that. The lower level zones are pretty barren now, something needs doing with them... maybe merge them into higher-level zones or something.
  • Have tried a few times.
    Got rolled over within seconds.
    Deleted the toon.

Complete waste of time .
    Great event.
    Well done BS.

Mahv
    ...I suspect the enjoyment and novelty will wear off for many as the reality of modern daoc sets in (MLs, CLs, item /uses etc).

After dabbling on that other server, I'm actually really looking forward to MLs, CLs, and other "advanced" DAoC features here.
    Esel wrote: »
    Then after event ends going from constant action in Caledonia back to an oversized NF that has never been popular with the majority of people who have ever played daoc....

I actually really like NF. It was a VAST improvement over OF. That being said, it would be great if they shrunk it down a bit to match the current population.

Fair enough if you like NF. I know a lot of people do. but no one can deny that it's far too big for the current population. It's not unusual to spend 80% of your time roaming to find action. keeping /rw open and porting / getting boats has become a skill in itself. Needs to be shrunk to 1/3 of its current size.
  • My character is Lv10. other player are over level 20. why same BG?
    I cannot join group and paly solo. all enemy are purple and I die one shot dmg.
    I lost all money for buff, finally no buff. how to get exp?
    I go big frustration. please put on mobs for lower players exp.
  • When I first read about this event, I completely missed that levels 10-50 are all stuffed into the same BG. As someone who can't get in every day, sometimes can't get in multiple days in a row, my ability to participate in this event is pretty much non existent at this point. I agree with an above post about how it feels pretty bad to fall behind in the "catch up" event.

Like I said in my first post, I'm really glad that you're at least showing a willingness to run these sorts of events. I hope your next one happens sooner than 3+ months from now, and I hope you can iron out the issues.
  • Total play time of my char is 14h20’ and I am lv14... Now DAoC promised fast levelling in Caledonia. How can I catch up if I am unable to win against lvls 24 fighting in the same environment? What is your advice?
  • Where was it promised it was going to be fast leveling?
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Where was it promised it was going to be fast leveling?
    Join us this Friday, March 5th for your chance to start fresh and rapidly progress to the end-game with players around your level!]
    Players will start at level 1 and rapidly progress to level 50 all while earning gear, master levels, champion levels, and realm ranks along the way!

Seems pretty clear cut to me, not sure what point you're trying to make here.
    Post edited by Drane on
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Was also stated it wasn't going to be the fastest way possible which some people keep bringing up as to why the event is terrible because they aren't leveling like a PL.

The xp is actually pretty quick as long as there's plenty of stuff to kill. This turns in to an issue in the low level stages because everyone is at the higher stages
    Post edited by Triq02_Dave on
  • Was also stated it wasn't going to be the fastest way possible which some people keep bringing up as to why the event is terrible because they aren't leveling like a PL.

The person you were responding to stated very specifically what their issue was, and it wasn't that the leveling is slower than a PL. No one in this thread has that issue. You're talking complete nonsense.
  • I've seen plenty of people complaining about the leveling speed. Whether that's here or discord
  • So I guess everyone hit the obvious flaw in this event which is the leveling speed of players and someone organised, starting early and playing a lot is obviously going to be a much higher level than someone just starting out a day later...a mix of such wide levels is never going to work.

A better way, would be to make everyone say level 40 with a cap of level 45, so there is still some reward in the event. But what you earn are realm points and xp, then when you exit the event you are pinged back to level 40 and then through an NPC your earned realm points are converted back into XP and you are levelled up back in the real game.

That way everyone in the event is still the same level, giving everyone the same chance but you still get to level your character once you exit with the XP you earned from the event.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Or maybe part of the event is having that level discrepancy, rewarding players who get higher levels faster. Most people who were lower levels are playing in the zerg , of course it's difficult to get kill credit when you are running with 3fg, that's part of the penalty that you pay.

It's an event, it's supposed to be different to the borefest that is 50 RvR. You know what you can chose not to participate in the event - go PvE or do a curse raid. I think Hero still had a BG up at 50 on EU time - maybe you can join him
    Post edited by Esel on
    Or maybe part of the event is having that level discrepancy, rewarding players who get higher levels faster. Most people who were lower levels are playing in the zerg , of course it's difficult to get kill credit when you are running with 3fg, that's part of the penalty that you pay.

It's an event, it's supposed to be different to the borefest that is 50 RvR. You know what you can chose not to participate in the event - go PvE or do a curse raid. I think Hero still had a BG up at 50 on EU time - maybe you can join him

But how does that make it a fun event? Games should be about fun.

It's not fun being level 10 and running into a group level 25 player who will kill you. That isn't fun I assume? I don't know I didn't play the event but could see it would be the result...