Thoughts of a returning player.

2»

Comments

• null
    You don't need rr to be effective.... my guild has been running a new caster group on mid with spirit debuff train.... I was playing a rr1l5 bd when we started and most the group was alts with low rr
  • No it doesnt
  • The last time I ran into you static you were playing your bard and hit our group at mid safe stuck to pohzzz... I log on at 11pm est and we are always 1 group... now when we run into 2-3 fg hib and albs we will vultron to clean up the trash on the island
  • lol @ me stuck to pohzz HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I would like to see that pic
    and don't lie and act like you run 8, you run 8 in 1 discord and 8 in another and hold hands, can't ever get a clean fight against you.
  • I think this might be one of the reason a lot do not want to join the 8 man community. Constant criticism and having to defend yourself. Kedelin is one of the people that I mentioned earlier who came back and got back into the swing of things and kills it in groups now.
  • Staticc wrote: »
    lol @ me stuck to pohzz HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I would like to see that pic
    and don't lie and act like you run 8, you run 8 in 1 discord and 8 in another and hold hands, can't ever get a clean fight against you.

we dont hold hands with anyone...the other discord is the half the people who are playing hib.... i could same the same about you cause everytime i am in group and we hit you there is atleast 1 more group 30 secounds behind... if ya wanna get your boys to play a lil late and roll out at 12pm est you can get all the clean a** whoopins you want...
  • I think you have me confused with someone else, Honestly, the few times that we do get added by friendlies we try and pull out, but no one 8's on hib either.... And how do you do this so often if your logging on when are logging off? I honestly think you have me confused....
  • And Burkley, my laughter was of the thought of holding hands with Pohz, don't get me wrong he's a nice guy, but the only times that I have held hands was when this community told me to adapt, so I honestly gave that a try and joined the voltron to specifically beat up the groups that hold hands on Mid. Didn't care for it much as after we 16v16 them they just come back with 24, then 36, then jump to 80. I'll take my 8v16's then, but even those are getting far and few between.

I said nothing about Ked's chars, skill level, templates, time spent, simply said he doesn't run 8, because I believe he runs with Rizztal, and they are very rarely 8, and run the zerg half thru the fight if they are losing. I can record if you like. Rizztal's actual 8 is the next hardest fight that my group has next to IRC. Its why its so frustrating that they have such a skilled group and yet choose to run more than 8 on a consistant basis.

I'm the one that takes the game to serious but so many can't take a simple "hey, you know it might be easier if you did it like this". Some of the critisms given to people that normally don't run 8's is taken far to harshly, sometimes its given to harshly, but there needs to be a give AND take on both sides.

I have no problem admitting loses to Riztal when he does run 8. Its not 100% of the time, but I accept them and fight. I have respected his fights, while he jams mine and runs to zergs, and wilsons after 1 person dies. Its a tough group and still decides to zerg. Its what I like to call, Fake8.
  • i never said i fight you all the time... i was saying the few times i have that is what happened... you are caveo the bard right?? the last time i saw you was with pohzz on mid safe path about week and a half ago... maybe just shear luck that you both came up safe path at same time??? but most fights get added on ev... part of the problem is there is nightly 2 groups of albs, hibs and mids that will just spam update on ev map to zerg **** down.... has gotten better with event but most nights there is our group, jtt, baby and outer circle pug out.... no counting the late night mini zergs... sometimes its just 1.5 groups and actually makes for a good fight... you are the one who said all i do is zerg which is just peer BS... kinda like broadsword saying they are here to listen to the people and be transparent with everything... some nights its hard to even find groups not zerging so half the group leaves and forms a hib pug and we pug on mid to atleast have something to fight.... i dont know what they do earlier but you also have to understand when the mid groups seeing us killing **** on island they just all chase swords... cant stop people from following and as much as i hate set fights its getting thats the only way to havew clean fights.... or pic a zone not on the island/dragon keep
  • like i said when we voltron its to clean out the trash... cause sorry im not just gonna feed rps to the multiple groups... sometimes its with irc sometimes its with pillagers group... and yes we have been told by most groups on that outside irc we are the toughest mid group that runs late night.... but still with all the rr and items its harder then ever to kill 16+ with 8....
  • As far as i remember, Staticc did not say *only 8v8 arena, skip the rest. If they play 8v8 in a arena/area or if they quit playing at all cause the fav playstyle is zerg vs zerg, it`s the same result at the end.
    They`re not available, not as rp fodder for the zerg and not as paying customers. Each player that quits at the current state is a loss.
    There are enough empty Battlegrounds, make one of them lvl 50 with ffa ruleset and see what will happen.

I don't mean be rude but this mindset is LOL. Ok sooo lets break it down why it is..

there isn't enough players in zergs on some sides which is why zergs are unfair / unskilled (staticc mindset).
    this then causes 8v8 because numbers imbalance.

solution:
    if we make a battle ground so people can 8v8 in them this will resolve issue....

WRONG this is why:

well the zerg's will go ok. well no one to kill out here lets all join the battleground and kill the 8mans its better then no rps.

You did not read their suggestion. There is no rp-reward in this battleground/whatever for killing players, just a group-quest reward, like the daily solo quest.
    No rp for less or more players, so no reason for a zerg to join this battleground. All players outside your own group are enemies, So a battlegroup could join, but for what? Destroying other ppl fun? Just because they can?
    I`m pretty sure that some players would try exactly that, the same special aholes that are roaming the solo areas with 1 fg.

I don`t think it will work because even this 8v8players have some kind of greed for rp`s, i don`t believe this *fair fights, challenge, etcetc*, but thats my opinion, build up within the last 2 years on *somehwere* and on Ywain.
    But you`ll never know if you don`t even try.

F2P is announced for first half 2019, that could be *late spring*. Patch 1.125 is...well....

And if you have better ideas/suggestions like this arena thing, let us know.
  • Staticc wrote: »
    Oh, and I never read post count. Xyroman, and never known you to 8v8.

Quite the point --- there is myriad things you don't know -- yet you comment on them like they're fact
  • You guys are having a decent conversation, keep it civil please there's no need to cross into the realm of RL and attacks.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Ked, I very rarely see Riztals group, with or without you by themselves. And the wilsoning after 2 people die does not equal a win. Riztal's group is a tough group, when Riztal is Pac'ing. But to say I stick Pohzz shows how little attention you pay. I've only ever voltron'ed up to beat the 16 slot, and 90% of that was with TWF, not Release inc. I have, do, and will continue to run RI players, I think most of them are good, but likewise, they run a lot of sidecar and 16 slot. However when grouped with me they have the fronted knowledge that I run 8. And the times that I do/have voltron'ed up, I stop trying to find 8v8's. Its specifically to fight against the obvious zerg that is killing action. Usually takes about 45 min of running laps on the island without seeing anything to get to the point that I start asking where the zerg is.

Xyroman, Child please.
  • edited August 2018 PM
    As far as i remember, Staticc did not say *only 8v8 arena, skip the rest. If they play 8v8 in a arena/area or if they quit playing at all cause the fav playstyle is zerg vs zerg, it`s the same result at the end.
    They`re not available, not as rp fodder for the zerg and not as paying customers. Each player that quits at the current state is a loss.
    There are enough empty Battlegrounds, make one of them lvl 50 with ffa ruleset and see what will happen.

I don't mean be rude but this mindset is LOL. Ok sooo lets break it down why it is..

there isn't enough players in zergs on some sides which is why zergs are unfair / unskilled (staticc mindset).
    this then causes 8v8 because numbers imbalance.

solution:
    if we make a battle ground so people can 8v8 in them this will resolve issue....

WRONG this is why:

well the zerg's will go ok. well no one to kill out here lets all join the battleground and kill the 8mans its better then no rps.

You did not read their suggestion. There is no rp-reward in this battleground/whatever for killing players, just a group-quest reward, like the daily solo quest.
    No rp for less or more players, so no reason for a zerg to join this battleground. All players outside your own group are enemies, So a battlegroup could join, but for what? Destroying other ppl fun? Just because they can?
    I`m pretty sure that some players would try exactly that, the same special aholes that are roaming the solo areas with 1 fg.

I don`t think it will work because even this 8v8players have some kind of greed for rp`s, i don`t believe this *fair fights, challenge, etcetc*, but thats my opinion, build up within the last 2 years on *somehwere* and on Ywain.
    But you`ll never know if you don`t even try.

F2P is announced for first half 2019, that could be *late spring*. Patch 1.125 is...well....

And if you have better ideas/suggestions like this arena thing, let us know.

lol that would be even worse. they will stop using that arena if there are no rps. if it has a quest for kills this will make it ez for people to hop in and complete the daily and leave. this sounds like a ez rp gimmick to me more then anything.. you could literally hop in and exploit getting quests done quickly by killing each other close to the respawn point.. besides the amount of coding involved probably isnt financially worth it.

i also agree with you on the rp thing these guys talk about honor and bla bla its all about the rps.. they only do the 8 mans for the faster rp. they where doing this even when i was playing originally. they call people names and talk down to them because they are soo awsome... lol yah people are going to stay in a game and pay monthly to be bullied by people. lol

Did you look at staticc daocutils link? look how many millions and millions rps he has over his toons. tell me this guys not about the rps..

I like how everyone comes up with all these other ideas rather then simply grouping up as a realm... its kinda funny.
    Post edited by returningplayer on
  • The 1 time daily quest reward is the ONLY reward, I have suggested to make it a zero RP for kill reward, then the people would want to 8v8, which is mostly about the fair fight, can have their fair fights as close to possible without putting in more coding to make it only 2 FG's in the zone at a time and make a line to zone in. having 1 daily quest does make it enticing to get some other people to hop in and try and complete the quest to make it a bit worth to try out, if that doesn't work, then go out and join the BG and zerg around for your RPs. I hear a lot of people attacking 8v8 because we peach that we want fair fights, well this is putting our money were our mouth is. If the fight, the challenge, is what really gets your going, then the RP's mean nothing. And this give more actual even fair fights, which is what we want.
  • seems to me the ez coding is make rps the same in zergs and 8mans.
  • Staticc who were your Tristan original toons, I’m interested in whether I remember you from back in the day. Ked is also a fellow tristanite original :)
  • I know he is, we have talked about it. All my originals are in my sig, I was GM of Unbroken Unity, with TheBone, Cillian, Phamin, Raudah, Kitten, Madathese, and a few others. Muffin is Fiionna's wife, but her Druid was in UU, and Knaji started in UU. Trying to remember other names...
    TheBone was my Co-GM, Raudah/Kitten and Phamin were the ones that moved with me.
  • Phamin and my ment ran the Sub 50 and gimps crew in OF. Once made Atabishi publicly admit to being gimp and bad so he could join our group and be my debuff bot lol. That was back when you could buy casting speed as an RA and have +25% casting speed and damage in your gear, was pure insanity
  • honestly take ur lil reunion to another thread.. this thread isnt about 8man reunions.
  • Ahh, Atabitchass. Brings back old names. I was Burkley an air thurg that zerged, tower humped with a DI bot strapped to my butt and ran occasionally with Xeev, Wodka and Orc in mid towards the end before I sold. Those are the main names I remember that were big into 8 manning iirc. It has been a decade or so can’t remember much lol. Oh and I also was the prime whiner against stun nuke and shrooms on vnboards haha
  • Ultimately the problem is the population first and foremost.

There are not enough people to compliment everyone’s play style and there’s not enough to cater for 8v8 or Zerg vs Zerg.

The game does also cater to the old blood, the game is scarily unfriendly and old school to new players, not as in unfriendly people, just that any new players probably will have played other mmo’s and not have the trouble of limited info of a game which is alien to new folk.

You make 1 char, then make another, how do they get gold/armour/weapon across to their other char?

DAOC has got to adapt and it’s all down to broadsword, their shockingly late patch 1.125 is absolutely frighteningly late, PVE is a mess, bugs that have exsisted for years (pet pathing for one) are still apparent and new ones (right click crash and capital cities crash) are not even recognised or acknowledged by broadsword.

Hero’s Zerg might not be for everyone but to blame that for the population is silly. People adapt, I get 2 hours a day to play EU time at about 2pm EST and hero’s Zerg is in full swing. It’s a good laugh heros’s TS channel and people play for FUN, I know I certainly don’t count RP or keep checking if I’ve completed a daily quest or how I’ve ‘owned’ other peoples groups.

Each section is broke, Zerg, 8v8, small man, duos/trios and solo, a lot of players in their respective playstyle bitch, ever read 1vs1 or 8vs8 in daoc’s discord channel, pure toxic, bitching and peen stroking. That environment needs to be moved away from to help make new and returning players welcome and to be part of this wonderful game we ALL love.
    Demmpsey - Animist
    Demmps - Vampiir
    Mimins - Bard
    Dempseas - Warden
    Dempsee - Hero
  • @Catdogchicken

Bang on. i fully agree the game caters to old players not new players. i also agree the 1v1 and 8v8 enviroment is incredibly toxic as well.
  • Not many truly "new" players. If you have never played DAoC than I doubt you are jumping to try it now after it's been up for 17+ years, no matter what change they make. It's all about catering to returning players.
  • i think if the removed the db mechanic portion of the daily quests and made it give a way bigger bonus to pre rr 10 people it would go a long way for returning and new players.
  • edited September 2018 PM
    My 2 cents.... if you want to fix RvR.... make Keeps defensible structures that are MUCH harder to take... but offered MUCH greater rewards for both taking AND defending.

As it stand keeps take 5 minutes to take, and really ain't worth defending because the moment the attacker takes the outer wall it's actually easier to hold the outer wall that the damn inner keep itself.

Makes keeps tougher. Make guards Elite mobs. Make Oil more of a threat. Give buffs to the realm that owns the keep while within X range of the inner keep.

Seiges used to take FAR longer than they do now so zergs spend more time taking them than running around killing 8 mans. Taking 1-2 keeps in a night should be a hard thing to do... not running around taking 7 no one bothers to defend.
    Post edited by Jhaerik on
  • edited September 2018 PM
    Jhaerik wrote: »
    My 2 cents.... if you want to fix RvR.... make Keeps defensible structures that are MUCH harder to take... but offered MUCH greater rewards for both taking AND defending.

As it stand keeps take 5 minutes to take, and really ain't worth defending because the moment the attacker takes the outer wall it's actually easier to hold the outer wall that the damn inner keep itself.

Makes keeps tougher. Make guards Elite mobs. Make Oil more of a threat. Give buffs to the realm that owns the keep while within X range of the inner keep.

Seiges used to take FAR longer than they do now so zergs spend more time taking them than running around killing 8 mans. Taking 1-2 keeps in a night should be a hard thing to do... not running around taking 7 no one bothers to defend.

completely disagree (EDIT after i wrote all of this i guess my opinion is much like your lol but i still prefer an incentive or simply a direct forcing to open field battles, not keep sieges). if you want to fix rvr remove keeps and tower. came back 1 month ago, last time i played OF were up. i remember everyone was open field looking for a fight. now everyone is just jerking in tower\keeps and that's not fun. i rolled a warden and 99% of the time that mean watching a wall spamming group heal. i rolled a hero to have something to do since with herorius we go inside the keep to try and do something but if i want to roll something else that isnt heal\hero\vamp it would be 99% useless.

OF would fix another thing imho. in my old server (vortigern) there was an "etiquette" and that was hib\emain was the region for zerg vs zerg, mid\odin was the region for 8v8 and guild vs guild, alb\hadrian was the region for solo.

i don't think BS have the manpower to do another rework of the frontiers but i think it would be nice to have something in between old and new one. something like separate frontiers with teleporter (not the old 15 minutes though) with different map layouts to cater more to different play styles (solo, 8v8, zerg). keeps i don't know i guess i would leave the new ones but i'd rework the towers. either remove them or reduce them and make them work like BO in warhammer online. each region 1 keep 2 tower when you have everything it's locked you get bonus etc.
    Post edited by Skywalker on
  • I come from an age before mythic sold out, zergs where around but 1 zerg would run into another, this accounts from 03 when it was 400 or more on a pvp map fighting over a keep.tower or roaming in hoards hunting for other hoards, I remember a player, he was told a HO sorc would not work so he proved them wrong, people seem to forget that this game was built around the big mass battles in pvp, sure there was 8v8 and solo fights but if you wanted that you stayed away from the main areas, when mythic sold out the focus of the game changed and the game started to die, old players started to drop cause of mass changes to characters, I had an animist that could put out a small field of mushrooms for defense, boom update I get 1 mushroom, games like daoc get bought out but that thing they saw in daoc at the time making it worth buying was also 1 of the 1st things they got rid of with the changes, I was thinking about playing again but now that I tried a fast free account and seen what the game is now wow no thank you, graphics are the worst I have seen in years blah blah blah ya its an old game but you wanna make money with it update it, this game could be popular again with very little effort with whats out there now