Goodbye my friend.

edited November 2019 in General Board
I don't know if this is allowed. But this is the most depressed I've felt in a while.

I have played Dark Age since I was 10 years old, I am now 28. I'll never forget seeing it on Portal and knowing i needed to play!

My entire life I have played Dark Age of Camelot and I can remember different parts of my life with DAOC being in each. I remember SI, TOA, NF, Catacombs, Lab and Classic server coming out. I remember every 50 that I ever got, every guild I was in, every server and cluster, and every friend I made along the way.

In so many times of my life this game has been my best friend and I've played the game through so many crucial points of my life. This game was there to take my mind of school, to take my mind off a failing marriage.

[edited] to see my aging best friend again.

When I saw BS release EC I was so happy! New life and been brought to my childhood and adolescent companion! But as I read the restrictions I began to feel morbid.

I thought it may be a rush of judgement but as I attempted to play today I sat and stared at the grim.

The execution of EC has been horrid. Perhaps one of the worst moves I have even seen in an MMO. The restrictions are far too complicated and even unplayable. I can't enjoy any time on my characters (the ones I am even to log on with) Why couldn't a system like ESO be executed? It seems so simple.

So here I am. At the end of the line and I finally am confronting the end. My best friend is dead and I will never be able to spend a proper night with it. I will never meet the people I use to.

I think for the last time in my life I stood in Camelot. Good bye Albion. Good bye Hibernia, Good bye Midgard. Good bye Dark Age of Camelot. You truly meant so much to me.
Post edited by Driralin on

Comments

• Well, you know, you could just try subbing.

You want depressing, you can look at the Hunter RR5. An entire playstyle destroyed.
  • Why not subscribe?
  • edited November 2019 PM
    You are telling us that daoc was the most important thing in your life and you can't throw 15 bucks at it?
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Buffsteria wrote: »
    Well, you know, you could just try subbing.

You want depressing, you can look at the Hunter RR5. An entire playstyle destroyed.

Hush child, this isn't about you.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • If this is the same goodnight from way back in the day, then ball up and drop 15$ get on game and hit me up. Thats like going to the World Series for free, but complaining about what seat you got. If you want to sit up front with the big boys, you gotta pay.

TC
  • Welcome to dying?
  • Lmao, listen unless your significant other plays Daoc with you, it is the ruination of marriage. Trust me lol.

Also, I totally understand unsubbing if you don't like something, but hell you just got back and aren't subbed. It's free, why not see how much they patch and move around before writing a public eulogy lol.

I think the restrictions are an awful idea and have said so from the beginning, but Its going to be a trial and effort situation for awhile. If you want this game to survive and evolve into an incarnation that is good enough, stick by it and try not to be so negative and act like its dead. Be patient and give feedback.

Broadsword isn't perfect but they listen to and interact with players more than Ive seen in the old days of Mythic and a hell of alot more than other MMOs. It's been live for what, 4-5 days?

Also, if DAOC helped you ruin your marriage so sweetly, just pay the damn subscription fee. You young folk spend more on lattes and weapon skins for other games anyway.
  • Mirewolf wrote: »
    It's been live for what, 4-5 days?

almost 3
  • Pretty telling that the feedback here is "just sub" when that completely defeats the purpose of implementing a full-fledged F2P model.
  • You can't have a full fledged F2P model alongside a sub model. The F2P model is meant to be an indefinite trial account. Nonetheless, I still think they need to make some slight adjustments so they can bring more players into the game. Removing the /played restriction and expanding the class availability to all classic classes would make this significantly better than its current implementation. I've already seen numerous threads on other sites where players have refused to try EC because they couldn't access old characters. This is a problem.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
    Tyrantanic wrote: »
    You can't have a full fledged F2P model alongside a sub model. The F2P model is meant to be an indefinite trial account. Nonetheless, I still think they need to make some slight adjustments so they can bring more players into the game. Removing the /played restriction and expanding the class availability to all classic classes would make this significantly better than its current implementation. I've already seen numerous threads on other sites where players have refused to try EC because they couldn't access old characters. This is a problem.

That's what I mean. In its current form, it's misleading. EC is not F2P, but it's a glorified trial account for a lot of the people that would actually be coming back to play an EC account.

That's not going to be a sustaining model in the long term. Gotta strike while the iron is hot with this, and I suspect it won't take long for it to cool.

It's "try it, then sub" instead of "play for free, forever if you so choose, but you're gonna have an uphill climb compared to your subbed counterparts." The former is a mistake.
    Post edited by elninost0rm on
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »
    You can't have a full fledged F2P model alongside a sub model. The F2P model is meant to be an indefinite trial account. Nonetheless, I still think they need to make some slight adjustments so they can bring more players into the game. Removing the /played restriction and expanding the class availability to all classic classes would make this significantly better than its current implementation. I've already seen numerous threads on other sites where players have refused to try EC because they couldn't access old characters. This is a problem.

That's what I mean. In its current form, it's misleading. EC is not F2P, but it's a glorified trial account for a lot of the people that would actually be coming back to play an EC account.

That's not going to be a sustaining model in the long term. Gotta strike while the iron is hot with this, and I suspect it won't take long for it to cool.

It's "try it, then sub" instead of "play for free, forever if you so choose, but you're gonna have an uphill climb compared to your subbed counterparts." The former is a mistake.

This times 1000
  • If you were a Traveler in Time what era of daoc would you go back to?
  • KoeKoe
    edited November 2019 PM
    Shoke wrote: »
    You are telling us that daoc was the most important thing in your life and you can't throw 15 bucks at it?

Or wait a few days from launch/release for the bugs to be worked out since so few of us bothered to test on pendragon first?

I don't mean to squash the OP's feelings, simply to encourage him or her to just be patient on what is really a community driven patch.
    Post edited by Koe on
  • Get rid of class restrictions so old player accounts can play ALL of their toons. Keep the RR restriction tho. If they had higher RR toons then pay to get full usage again.
    BS is trying to figure how to grow the population and maximize profits. Unfortunately they have a small staff so they need our input to steer the ship right. Ywain isnt a friendly place for new players as its confusing and complex.

Once again we have a patch come out with too many changes. Even veteran players that are playing have a hard time following the rules and changes.
    Post edited by Sepphiroth75 on
  • Vewdoo wrote: »
    If you were a Traveler in Time what era of daoc would you go back to?

Post DF patch after they nerfed weapons.
  • Telling a returnee "just to sub" won't fix anything. If you read Discord you'll see ALOT more people just like him posting similar things.

Unfortunately BS only gets one shot to get things right, after that they leave and never look back.

• Vewdoo wrote: »

I'd like to try again from Oct. 2002 now that I have a computer and internet that works with it.
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    Telling a returnee "just to sub" won't fix anything. If you read Discord you'll see ALOT more people just like him posting similar things.

Unfortunately BS only gets one shot to get things right, after that they leave and never look back.

Their (unsure of pronoun) complaint in this post is about how they're being affected specifically by things which seem to affect only EC accounts. I feel that my remark was in line with what the complaint addressed.

I agree with you about BS but not 100%...that they listened to us about Midsummer quest showed me that on occasion they listen. The only thing I see them not going back on is that it seems they have a Master Plan that they won't budge from. I hope it works, I just have no idea what it is.
  • If he says that DAoC was the most important thing in his life, but he doesnt want to pay for it, then its a bit strange. So I dont know what the problem really is. I wont think about it and go on playing now.
  • I wasn't going to come back to this but I wanted to clear some things up.

1.) I KNOW I am not the only one that feels this way. This note I wrote to Dark Age of Camelot was originally just on Discord but several people encouraged me to post it here so there can be further discussion.

2.) Telling people to simply sub is not a good response. EC was - atleast to me - advertised as DAOC Free-To-Play. I came back because I believed this game would be saved by going Free-To-Play. Despite my love and passion for DAOC this game is not worth $15/month in its current state (please understand this is just my opinion, and despite how it may appear I really do want the game to succeed). I have always believed that this game can be successful with Free-To-Play.

Yes, I can easily pay $15/month and continue to play but that's not the point. The last few times I have attempted this I have hated the state of the game and it has felt barren... I wanted EC to fix that. By going Free-To-Play I was hoping it would bolster the population to the point that it was enjoyable again. But it won't. EC, in its current version will not save DAOC.

I would like to also mention EC is far too complicated.

3.)
    You can't have a full fledged F2P model alongside a sub model..

This is 100% not true. I mentioned it in my note, ESO has a F2P model alongside a $15/month sub model. There is no limitation as to what characters you can play, no limitation to purchasing items, and no limitation to abilities or buffs. You hardly notice the difference when playing F2P ESO. The game was so modeled off of DAOC, why cant we copy back?

4.)
    Mirewolf wrote: »
    Lmao, listen unless your significant other plays Daoc with you, it is the ruination of marriage. Trust me lol.

I know this is true but I wanted to explain why I mentioned my marriage. Like many others I have left and come back to Dark Age of Camelot. While I rarely played DAOC while I was married it was there for me when my marriage was ending. That's why I mentioned it in my note, it mattered a lot.

5.)
    Vewdoo wrote: »

I know I may be a minority on this but Catacombs era. I have spoken to my friends a lot on this and I have realized (especially after U and P classic servers) I loved Post-TOA and NF DAOC. Honestly, 2016 may have been my favorite year of DAOC. We did really well in a Hib Small-Man.

6.) I respect, admire, and love you all. I do not mean ANY of my notes and comments to offend anyone, especially the people and Broadsword that work VERY hard to keep this old dog running. This really began as a personal note that I needed to express and share that blossomed into feedback and a desire for discussion. Thank you for taking time reading my thoughts.

Goodnight wrote: »
    I would like to also mention EC is far too complicated.

3.)
    You can't have a full fledged F2P model alongside a sub model..

This is 100% not true. I mentioned it in my note, ESO has a F2P model alongside a $15/month sub model. There is no limitation as to what characters you can play, no limitation to purchasing items, and no limitation to abilities or buffs. You hardly notice the difference when playing F2P ESO. The game was so modeled off of DAOC, why cant we copy back?

I don't think EC is complicated at all. It just needs to be fleshed out.

ESO F2P Restrictions: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/esoplus

DAoC F2P Restrictions: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/endless-conquest-table

Regarding ESO, it's pretty clear their F2P model relies heavily on progression speed and cosmetics (see link above). Endless Conquest has this already incorporated into its model (see link above). The only hard restriction on this end is crafting which is a toss up. I could see crafting becoming available for EC players if it was as slow as the classic days. Housing is a form of expanded vault space so it makes sense that EC players cannot own a house much like F2P ESO players do not have additional bank space.

ESO F2P players need to purchase DLC while subscription players do not. DAoC does not have this opportunity as development of an expansion requires resources Broadsword simply does not have which is quite evident with their patch history. This is likely made up by the class restrictions. However, I would argue that the current class selection is too narrow and should expand to all classic classes / races. I sound like a broken record about this but it really needs to happen for EC to attract new players. The seven days /played should also be removed for returning players as it has clearly prevented some from coming back. I think they could get away with selling MTX tokens to increase the RSP cap if they are hard set on 60 points.

There's still room for improvement so long as feedback continues to be provided by players and Broadsword acts accordingly.
    Post edited by Tyrantanic on
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Somewhere Far Beyond it might have worked. I'll light the Last Candle.
  • Cartoan wrote: »

I'd like to try again from Oct. 2002 now that I have a computer and internet that works with it.

See we all say this but Oct 2002 what we don't remember is none of us were level 50 for the first MONTH or so, of intense grinding. And none of us were r10 or so until well after that first year. Most of us still R5-6 on one-two chars.

We can slam the game as tough or whatnot, but if anything this patch was a sort of attempt at the good old days, with only 30% of the pain rather than 5%.
  • Goodnight wrote: »
    This note I wrote to Dark Age of Camelot was originally just on Discord but several people encouraged me to post it here so there can be further discussion.
    They are probably all not subbed.

You are saying the game isn't worth $15 a month from the perspective of a free player. This can be solved by subbing. The subbed accounts don't have the restrictions that make the $15 a month not worth it, my head is hurting just from trying to explain this, good night.
    This note I wrote to Dark Age of Camelot was originally just on Discord but several people encouraged me to post it here so there can be further discussion.

You are saying the game isn't worth $15 a month from the perspective of a free player. This can be solved by subbing. The subbed accounts don't have the restrictions that make the $15 a month not worth it, my head is hurting just from trying to explain this, good night.

Again telling an EC that their perspective will change or get better by "subbing" is very dismissive and unhelpful.

@Goodnight hope to still see you around in Discord m8.

GL
  • Koe wrote: »
    Cartoan wrote: »

See we all say this but Oct 2002 what we don't remember is none of us were level 50 for the first MONTH or so, of intense grinding. And none of us were r10 or so until well after that first year. Most of us still R5-6 on one-two chars.

We can slam the game as tough or whatnot, but if anything this patch was a sort of attempt at the good old days, with only 30% of the pain rather than 5%.

You're right, Koe. It was hard watching people rvr and growing while stuck outside of old frontiers. Now that I've given it more thought, the game today so much more fun what with easy access to respec stones and voice chats.
    And now for the glory of the realm!
  • The thing that really annoys me about the EC thing is, I could totally understand limiting people from playing characters that weren't 39+ and a perk of subbing is getting 100% of classes but you can't even play all your 50's. I have a 50 rr6 warrior I would love to play, nope...can't do that. I can't even play many of my molvik characters which would be good for a returning player to get the pvp back under their feet.

Then to top it off, I have asked 3 times on the official facebook of DAoC if you can run a free (bot) account and sub an account and multi box them. They said EC doesn't allow you to run 2 EC accounts or you get banned...fine. At least answer if I can sub my main account and still have a buff bot.

I think you missed that part that I said I have tried playing the game subbed... and its terrible. It's not worth the $15. On my last attempt to play the game, before EC, I usually spent two hours trying to get a group. Then I noticed there was only 11 people in NF for my Realm and half were buff bots.

I wanted EC to save this game because, as I have stated multiple times above, a proper F2P would bolster this game.
  • Population is increasing now. We just had 250 in hib.