This is more of an observation than a criticism

You could argue that people are just happy to have an event... you could also look at the numbers and see clearly people rather play with lower-level characters with no or few MLS/basic templates than playing a fully-fledged level 50 RVR experience.

So during this event I've been doing 4 things

1. I've been participating in the event up until level 30-35

2. Been playing live (level 50) and seeing the impact of the event (only on a solo level - it killed RVR)

3. Gaheris - Some from Gaheris seemed to log over to live to try the event, but it's just that, the event

4. overall across all of the above and the conclusion was:

People enjoy/enjoyed this event, more than they enjoy the current level 50/templated RVR and that is just fact.

Summary: Based on this, I think a classic server would flourish as odd as that sounds, why? because people clearly want a new/equal footing rather than RR1-4 vs RR8-13 on live, that much is evident.

Again, this is only my opinion and what I've gathered during this event. Feel free to discuss further.

Comments

• For further context, I talked to a lot of people that natively play on "Those" servers during this event and they were playing live, this event did something right and they need to run with it.
  • RR disparity is a poor argument considering that gap can be narrowed within a few weeks of casual play. I understand the templating part. It has less to do with equal footing, which is always fleeting, and more to do with a smaller skill gap (i.e. less overall abilities). You're right that the event has forced everyone on equal footing. However, I don't think you want to make the comparison that the event is equivalent to a classic server since the disparity (levels, RR, templates, etc.) will start on day one.
  • Well, the bottom line despite the back is I think DAOC could do well from a total reboot. Arguably, that'd tie in with a Classic Server, it's fairly evident 'new' rules entice people.... the real question is how far will they run with it.

Personally, I think a classic server with a fresh start entices more subs than a current server, again, that's my personal opinion.

I'd wager real-life money on a fresh start (done properly) bringing in more revenue and interest than current-day servers... as subjective as that may sound I stand by it.
  • Summary? a brand new server would do more for DAOC than continuing its current course. Rewind DAOC to PRE-TOA and you'd have a 3000+ player base at your helm.. and I'd wager my own money on that.

People don't play private servers because they're free @John_Broadsword and @Carol_Broadsword they play them because the GM's listen. all you have to do is listen.. you'd take a hit but you'd gain so much more if you just listenened.
  • I agree and this is what most people who have played this game have been saying for a while ... the magic is certainly disappearing now that people have MLs / artifacts and some people are starting to buy recipes for curse/frozen stuf.

but I think just as important as the points you made are the fact that action is constant. I think the event has shown that NF in its design is not fit for purpose for the current population.
  • I noticed the same thing while playing this week. I enjoyed the relatively "leveled" playing field. I also enjoyed the fact that nobody had OP gear. I havent played since 35-40, but I can only imagine this weekend the people with cursed gear, stupid powerful /uses on items and other things that I have always known have kinda ruined 50 RvR for me (as opposed to when I started playing 50 RvR when ML10 weapons/armor was king and even then it wasn't game changing)
  • @BloodOmen hmm I think you took a couple shortcuts there in your argumentation.

People are playing the event because it's an event, a short duration thing that changes it up from the regular RvR that's beennthe same for 19 years. For sure it'll draw a crowd.

Now what makes this event fun...

Constant action, small map, no boating porting, just run out and bam action. The biggest complain on Ywain is the size of NF vs pop. So yeah, having an event where players are concentrated in a small area is going to be fun.

You could say that "well classic server will have more pop"... Any new server with any ruleset will have drastically more pop than ywain, it's just the effect of novelty.

Current level cap is 45, we just started getting MLs and everything, so it seems to be too early to say that people enjoy the event because it doesn't have ToA...

Maybe returning players will start getting overwhelmed with the quantity of abilities as MLs, artifacts and templates become a thing. That could be an argument towards "classic".

And yes, people play shards because it's free. There are other factors but you can't dismiss one of the biggest difference between the official game and a shard...
  • Outside of nostalgia, I'm curious as to why a new server should be classic. I've never understood the hate against ToA expansions and beyond and I've played since pre-SI days. Yes, gear has evolved making prior equipment obsolete. This is a common problem in MMOs, especially older games. I also understand that when these expansions were first released there was a large disparity between the old and new gear making competition difficult. This has all been resolved, some of which has been fixed for over a decade.

Yes, Broadsword made the same mistake with Curse and OW campaigns in regard to phasing out old equipment with new (DF revamp was fine minus the ablative stacking which has also been corrected). However, not only have they reduced the equipment disparity by cutting /use and proc values, they've also introduced a clear path for everyone to access end game items without having to grind for countless hours or field thousands of plat (see Bountycraft). It's probably the singular best change they've made since taking over other than maybe Supremacy potions.

What this all boils down to, for me, is the classic crowd wants a simpler game. One template to cap all stats involving mostly SC armor, minimal to no /use charges, less than three bars worth of abilities, and a large grind to keep "try hards" from pulling away too quickly to maintain a psuedo level playing field. Not a single classic person has asked for dynamic events which is literally what this game needs to stay interesting after 20 years. Yet, it's the most praised implementation on the "other side".

While I agree that a new server, even if classic, will yield thousands of players, there's no way it will maintain that number. I personally think this event is a test run for an actual progression server, as it was stated before by BS that they believe Ywain is THE game. That said, more events that are similar to this one down the road will likely be better for DAoC as a whole. The real issue is whether or not they can overcome technical barriers that prohibits them from making creative adjustments.
  • Broadsword already knows that a new server will do well. They've known this since four years ago when they did a survey. The problem is Ywain. They've spent four years trying to get Ywain in good shape (with little success) and now they've decided to roll the dice with a new server. I'm glad they're doing a new server, but pro-Ywain players are right to be very concerned.

The reason(s) why a new server should be "classic" is primarily a matter of resources (or lack thereof). By far the easiest way to change the game is to go back to something that once was. In general, this is also a failure of imagination from players ("please bring back OF", "please bring back ruined keep", etc.)

I look forward to the new server, but I have no desire for a classic experience (although I'm open to it), so I think it is a very interesting question: Why should a new server be classic? This is why I recently suggested to pro-Ywain players that a new server to *replace* Ywain might not be a terrible idea, because it would solve the problem of splitting players (which is a HUGE problem). The suggestion was not received well.
  • BloodOmen wrote: »
    Well, the bottom line despite the back is I think DAOC could do well from a total reboot. Arguably, that'd tie in with a Classic Server, it's fairly evident 'new' rules entice people.... the real question is how far will they run with it.

Personally, I think a classic server with a fresh start entices more subs than a current server, again, that's my personal opinion.

I'd wager real-life money on a fresh start (done properly) bringing in more revenue and interest than current-day servers... as subjective as that may sound I stand by it.

I agree that they should have a classic server but I do not agree with a reboot they made it really easy to compete now a days for people to just step in and play. But if they make a classic rule set server does that mean no scripting? I thing it should bring it back to the essence of game play the grind to get levels and gear that is what classic should truly be about.

• I really don't see the hate against scripting. Its free and anyone can do it. I makes life easy. I like hitting one button to mezz and demezz. or heal and debuff. instead of having 4 buttons for those examples, I have 2.

I also don't see why people do not like DAOC with everything past SI. I like the new abilities and faster casting. Makes he game faster in a way. Like its already been stated, BS has made getting MLs easy. I mean your Atari 2600 was a great console. but it doesn't compete with the PS 5.
  • @minibard na xbox x is better XD
  • I just want to reiterate I wasn't having a go at them for the event, I was simply making some observations. I'd love to see them do more, the event was good, it was unexpected and it clearly was a success... like I previously said, they need to hold onto that success and run with it, run with it like Usain Bolt.