Pay to win a concern

edited November 2019 in General Board
I was dabbling on Pendragon and came across the soon to be Live Mithril merchant. You can imagine my surprise when I found a token that levels you to 50, gives you ML10 as well as CL15. All of this for the bargain deal of only 6500 mith.
Note this much mith will you only $50.00 USD!
Now per the patch notes the ML's suddenly are going to cost you only 450,000 bps. This significant bps price increase caught my eye. Luckily this new mith merchant will also sell you a ML10 token for the bargain price of 2600 mith, which is roughly $25.00 USD.
Note prior to the patch it would only cost you 7-8 plat of in game currency for the full ML coin.
Also note the entire [Curse] campaign will award 160,000 BPs for the main quest line, this will take you what approx 1.5-3 hrs time, depending on how it goes.

Dear to whom it may concern. I understand that you need the Cash shop, but do not make the same mistake that has been made many many times by other games. I am O-K with supporting DAOC, but very few people are okay with getting straight ripped. If you are going to make it pay to win, then consider making the items reasonably priced. I'm not sure that ML10 is worth approx the price of a two month subscription.

npq9w750rt0y.jpg

Post edited by Fateboi on

Comments

• edited November 2019 PM
    I'd say if there is any way to have more people join the game, that's a good thing.

Would consider above items rather a different sort of "Pay to play (fast)". That's ok in my book.

To win in this game, a fully equipped character is not nearly enough (fortunately), and i dont see this in dange (right now) ...

In case any sarcasm in your post escaped me and you consider the shop rather expensive - i gues there is always the alternative way of just skipping the mithril shop and subscribing the normal way :-)
    Post edited by yanik on
    First off, I am not happy that lvl 50, mls and stuff are on mithril merchant! Wish it wasn't.

However, it comes as a price of FTP, and if they added it, I wish it were actually more expensive then it is. People are lazy, and you can see some going to purchase the boost for 60$, and the less do the merrier for the health of the game.

Can you still gain xp and ml's the normal way? Yes. Can you buy ML from BP and glass? Yes. Sorry, but a lvl 50 untemplated 1l1 toon is everything but win. It's a start of the endgame, which is easy to get to anyway. ML price increases I am not happy either, but let's be honest, it was basically free, i have like 60 toons ml10 because it's so jokingly cheap, even if most don't even need ML10 but like 5-8. It's whatever, if you concerned, stack up of ML tokens, it's not a huge deal.

Thing is, the more expensive these tokens the better, people would happily PL for much less plats, it doesn't give any competitive edge, and the least amount of lazy people going to actually pay for it. It would hurt much more for 5$ then 500$.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • They should put high-end templates on the mith merchant, that way you can just pay a bunch of money and start RvR right away.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Dreamscape wrote: »
    They should put high-end templates on the mith merchant, that way you can just pay a bunch of money and start RvR right away.

That's what Bountycrafting is for.
  • I personally dont mind the lvl 50 tokens
    Why well its because they will prolly not know how to play the toon the only advantage they would have iscthey would beat me to 50 but would have omost no skill with that toon plus by the time you get curse and OW done your cl15 and i have stocked up on ml tokens and with every thing giving bps now it wont be hard to get them hell a run of curse and glass quest would pretty much get you ml10 maybe a little bet of repeat Qwest

Thats just my thinking i mean i dont ever plan on buying those tokens because i want to learn my toons at the same time i support the myth merchants
  • Only pay to win feature would be to buy RPs or cash specific abilities. Neither exist.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
    Other games in this genre are sustainable and 100% f2p, because their Cash shops are reasonable and fairly priced. I pay for two accounts and both have the 10 yr title. That said pay to win is never the way to go, many games have learned it the hard way.
    Intentionally slowing down the XP for EC accounts. Intentionally jacking up price of ML's to 450,000 BPS.
    Then guess magically you can pay for it in the cash shop FR?!

It won't effect me, but I feel bad for these EC/ returnee's because things could be so much better for them.
    You should'nt have to rip someone off in order to get them to stick around. Make the prices reasonable and they will buy them left and right, then hop into RvR (allegedly).

GL
  • There is nothing pay to win about the current mith store. lvl50, ml10, and cl15 are all obtainable in 10 hours or less of playtime with help from friends/guild. Anyone who has been playing this game also knows being lvl50, ml10, and cl15 is not a "win." Its a start but far from a win. The mith store is for the impatient and to provide some income to BS.

If i make a char say named Mithbought and buy lvl50, ml10, and cl15 then grab some kings gear and hit RvR i dont think anyone is gonna start saying "screw that guy, he's so paid to win." They are gonna say "more rps."

I dont think crying pay to win is a good idea to do unless its true and its far from true right now. If they add BPS, RPS, or rare tough to get gear to Mith store then by all means start saying pay to win.
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Only pay to win feature would be to buy RPs or cash specific abilities. Neither exist.

This reminds me, how would I go about finding a RR12 hunter for sale?
  • Buffsteria wrote: »
    Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Only pay to win feature would be to buy RPs or cash specific abilities. Neither exist.

Ask the Lord of the Realms. He seems to be good at acquiring RR12 accounts.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • I have no problem with having someone pay to get to end game. Don’t get me wrong, I w/a paid sub, can do it for way less RL cash. We pretty much got someone last night 50 ml10 cl15 in less then 1h and he was rvring with us pretty much instantly. People who come back and remember the old grind, or even experienced a lil bit from EC. Can just bypass it all, and just group up and rvr. The new kings should be enough to make it worth trying in rvr asap.

They might as well make everything buyable on the mith store. Everything but RP/BP.

TC
  • Snaillyn wrote: »
    They might as well make everything buyable on the mith store. Everything but RP/BP.

agreed
  • I don't really consider level 50, MLs etc.. pay to win. Its more like pay to get rvr-able. Which in the end...is really what we all want....more people to rvr with.
  • Buffsteria wrote: »
    Tyrantanic wrote: »

then buy a name change lol
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »

apart from the the dreadful pbaoe and mezz changes, the pay for rp mechanic is what disgusts me the most about this patch. paying to get to 50, paying to get ml's, paying to get cl's, stupid, but ok. paying to get more rp (endgame) wow, just no. i'm already paying for the game, i don't want to pay extra to compete at the end game.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • @Muylae you don't have to, you get monthly battlefield potions and you can also buy battlefield potions with aurulite/BPs
  • The whole point of going f2p is to have everything available for free if you give yourself the trouble, but also to have everything (or almost everything) available in the mythril store to facilitate endgame access to players that want to pay.

It doesn't affect in any way because everything on the mythril store you can get in game for free.
    Shoke wrote: »
    The whole point of going f2p is to have everything available for free if you give yourself the trouble, but also to have everything (or almost everything) available in the mythril store to facilitate endgame access to players that want to pay.

It doesn't affect in any way because everything on the mythril store you can get in game for free.

It actually will directly impact their bottom line and overall account retention. Intentionally slowing doing CL xp and making ML1-10 cost increase to 450,000 bps, therefore basically forcing people towards spending Mith.

If your a paid sub now you have to spend even more time then you had to pre-patch, AND you are paying for your sub. Without CL15 you are missing significant hits and without ML1-10 you are missing significant abilities.

Path of Exile does an excellent job of offering value added items in the cash shop and ALSO at an extremely reasonable price. This keeps the customers coming back to their shop and overall more people are purchasing due to the value/deals offered. Typically I would spend 60$ per quarter in Path of Exile. I never FELT ripped off or forced ever...

GL
  • I understand what you're saying, I think you using the term Pay-to-win is confusing people.
    Pay to win would be paying to win the game. getting a lvl 50 ml10 cl15 toon isn't paying to win, it's paying to get out and RvR.

I feel like what you're trying to get across is they lowered all exp, and raised the price of MLs up a whole boat load. Then they dangle this character in front of your face for a whopping 50 bucks.
    Plus they took away your quests for RPs, and put these potions for a big RP bonus

coming from the game 2 weeks ago to what the game is now, it's huge changes and sometimes change is good, is it now? IDK time will tell i guess.

You can compare the character boost to a game like WOW, there boost are 50 bucks too, and they would just put you to 110 when the cap is 120.

then you have F2P games like Elder scrolls online, you could choose to play for free, or you could get a sub account which gave you access to all the seasons but would give you some of the paid currency to spend with the sub.

I came back a couple of days before the EC patch.
    I just feel sorry for the current players that have played for the last 6 months and kept the multiple accounts open and have no choice but to continue to sub or completely start over with a free EC account.
  • 50 dollars for lvl 50 / ml10 / cl15 that price is waaaaaaaaaay to expensive.i smell cash grabb ;)
  • does myth rp bonus, battlefield bonus pots and bound buggane draughts stack----