A new server is irrelevant without any advertising

A new server is dead on arrival without any advertising of it. It is just populated by the current playerbase and a small amount of existing players hearing about it or checking in on the game. Making it sub only, which BS have stated they would be doing, is a terrible idea. No one is going to come back to the new server if they have to fork out a sub just to try it. This server NEEDS new people. What exactly is a sub only fresh server going to achieve anyway? It will just be Ywain levels of gameplay as it currently stands except in a different ruleset. Very exciting -_-

Enable EC on the new server and loosen the restrictions. Much more popular F2P games have way less restrictions than EC, it's actually really embarrasing. You are supposed to restrict classes/races/features that might entice players to sub to unlock them, not restrict almost everything so that new players feel like they are forced to sub to unlock necessary gameplay.

Just my opinion

Comments

• edited February 2021 PM
    I dunno. At the moment im more of the belief that the game's problem isnt that people don't know about it, it's just that it isnt anything special. Anyone who ever played the game seriously certainly googles it every now and then just to see whats up, but the development of it looking in from the outside just sort of looks dead. You could check back on their website once every 6 months and you'll pretty much still be reading the same patch notes and its all meager stuff.

I doubt the freeshard of which you're not allowed to speak by name here ever had any advertising and everyone knows about it. Or at least enough people know - which allows it to operate as though its a server with a population from 10 years ago.

Maybe it can be achieved and I’ll be proven wrong but I also don’t think it’s realistic to expect any actual new players, just old ones.
    Post edited by Grizlie on
  • The game and the new server advertises itself by people telling other people about it. This is a big part.
    Though, some additional advertisement wouldnt harm anyone.
  • Grizlie wrote: »
    I doubt the freeshard of which you're not allowed to speak by name here ever had any advertising and everyone knows about it. Or at least enough people know - which allows it to operate as though its a server with a population from 10 years ago.

We know, that the freeshard is just great. With no horses, no speed of the hunt, no interesting items, no MLs, at most 1bar of abilities.... wow, it is so fascinating, Im impressed. You really need to be a great player if you can play there.
  • edited February 2021 PM
    I think the absence of some of those things you mentioned is pretty lame too... But I’d rather have no speed of the hunt and [removed]

By the way the whole “I’m a competitive DAoCer” persona is just pathetic. Who cares if you’re not a great player? This isn’t modern warfare or WoW or LoL where tons of people play and hundreds of thousands are actively engaged in streams or watching tournaments or playing in them. It’s a 20 year old game called dark age of Camelot. It’s like ridiculing someone for not being great at minesweeper. How about having a game where people can play and not have to feel like they’re the greatest at it and that’s okay because they’re playing to have fun? You think that might be a good business model?

[removed]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • Its ok if you are not a great player.

• If something new happens - and no one is around to see it. does it matter???
    advertising is a must.
    no advertising, no growth.
    even we the players, want (have wanted) this game to advertise more.
    i know its older, but do yall realize how many people never heard of DAoC ?

and now a dose of reality: https://web.archive.org/web/20050515015623/http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml
    click that OLD link from 2005, tell me what you see for the server numbers.

this is back when those were good numbers for mmo's.
    because not many people were building there own pc's.
    not many were gaming on a pc.

the world is different now.
    yes i know you need funds for an expac and a huge team to design everything under the sun.
    but that comes with money, you want money? you need more people.

how do you get more players if the game is hidden under 17yrs of dust.

plz advertise.
    me lub u rong time.
  • Advertise the game, scrap Ywain, scrap most things after ToA, QOL changes ... you will triple population at least.
  • A good start would be actually giving your player base some kind of update... we was promised an update by the end of March 2020. Look where we are now? Still nothing being said.

There alot of people waiting on some kind of news, but the longer it takes the more theyll lose.