Quitters

Sad that xy so close to rr14 and left. Guess hero will be only rr14 in daoc history. And shame on u too clumsy :) no dedication imo

Comments

• Shots fired
  • What does rr14 mean when the game no longer exists? Absolutely nothing. And from the looks of it, it might be sooner than later...

Even those that remember the game will generally only remember the 1st to rr14, not the 2nd, 3rd, etc.
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    What does rr14 mean when the game no longer exists? Absolutely nothing. And from the looks of it, it might be sooner than later...

Even those that remember the game will generally only remember the 1st to rr14, not the 2nd, 3rd, etc.

The game costs EA next to nothing since DAoC is its own IP. Until the Dev team gets cut, this game will continue to exist. Maybe even long enough for another private server to pop up.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • People will pay and play what is fun. Apparently people aren't having as much fun anymore
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    People will pay and play what is fun. Apparently people aren't having as much fun anymore

For some. Game is still active during prime time hours. Action has been increasing a bit as well. There are tons of Albs, more Mids have appeared, and Hibs have good numbers in both prime times. The current community on Live is certainly less toxic than it was before the holidays. It's been very fun.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • I agree, it was awesome to see what our 40 mids did lastnight vs hibs and albs when they had way more than us
  • I agree that Live is still going just pointing out that people will pay and play what is fun.

Active Subs should be taken in context I.e they aren’t logging in.
    I agree that Live is still going just pointing out that people will pay and play what is fun.

Active Subs should be taken in context I.e they aren’t logging in.

Wouldn't those be considered inactive subs? :p
  • Not if they’re still paying. lol
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    Not if they’re still paying. lol

Eh. I consider those who don't pay as unsubbed. Paying doesn't necessarily dictate activity which was Fateboi's point, I think. However, there is no way for us to know how many subscribers are actively playing which was my point. So it's really moot to say paying accounts aren't playing since that data isn't available to us beyond word of mouth.

Regardless, despite the population drop, there's still an active player base. The population is just small enough that non-prime hours feel like ghost towns.
  • We just had amazing action all night tonight. On a monday. At one point there were 3 zergs of equal size. Then it became good Alb v Hib fights all over the war map. The only lacking piece is the 8v8, which is why in my opinion zergs should stay away from EV for the most part.

Let them quit, when they come back we'll just be higher RR and it will be easier to collect RP's from them.
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • Was a fun night defending Nged from the Albs. Fight went on for over 30 minutes or so.
    Was a fun night defending Nged from the Albs. Fight went on for over 30 minutes or so.

Yeah, and we just couldnt breach the lord room. Way to many Hibs playing their defensive position way to good :-)
    Was fun, beside the fact i forgot to join our own BG and wonder why i made only 35k rp after 4 hours, hehe.

Tubben* <X Bodycount X>
  • Careful lest this fatalism towards Ywain become self-fulfilling.
  • edited May 2019 PM
    [edited]
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • Quiters should all take kicks to the face, round houses for everyone!
  • So what's the word on BodyCount and Pale Horse
  • edited May 2019 PM
    [edited]
    The rest of us went back to Hib and made Fifty Shades of Slay
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    What does rr14 mean when the game no longer exists? Absolutely nothing. And from the looks of it, it might be sooner than later...

The North remembers.

Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • @Tubben ever considered Mid? Hib already has a significantly lrg pop US primetime
  • 3 groups of sneaks does not constitute a large Hib population Fate. lol
  • The last few days we had to fight vs larger mid/alb numbers :)
    But yes, we spoke shortly about mid. But we all had resources on hib, and almost none on mid.
  • edited May 2019 PM
    Fateboi wrote: »
    People will pay and play what is fun. Apparently people aren't having as much fun anymore

[edited]
  • edited May 2019 PM
    [edited] And i for myself like the live daoc. I dont like the /use abilities on gear, thats about all.
  • edited May 2019 PM
    Maylox wrote: »

[edited]

Hard to know what the majority of DAoC players prefer, OF or NF, without polling. I personally doubt that classic DAoC is what the majority want since every private server loses a large fraction of its population once the nostalgia wears off. Live used to have classic DAoC servers during the Mythic era where ToA was removed but retained all other expansions and content. These servers were eventually closed during the super cluster, Ywain, and never made a return for reasons unbeknownst to me. I don't remember how the classic population compared to the normal ruleset population, but I do know there were more normal ruleset servers and (eventually) mini-clusters than classic servers.

DAoC is an old game with an aging player-base. Most have moved on. No new server, private or live, will ever capture the population this game had 15 years ago. The few of us that continue to play (any server), I think, can agree that no other MMO has the RvR game play that DAoC provides at its core. CU may put an end to that but I will make that judgement for myself when (if ever) it releases. I suspect Ywain's current population crisis stems primarily from resentment towards Broadsword as each major change has led to an apparent decrease in population. The newest private server is more a scapegoat for players quitting than an actual cause as its population has dropped significantly and continues to do so. Some players have returned to live, some (most?) have quit altogether.

While I think the F2P model will bring some new players into the game, I doubt that it will retain many. A significant number of current players have voted with their feet and refuse to pay until Broadsword makes the necessary changes (mostly reversions) to bring them back. Based on the number of posts here and on other forums, I think a clean slate server, regardless of ruleset, coupled with a F2P model will have the best chance to bring AND retain players so long as it's not like Ywain. This means Broadsword must listen to its player base for any new server to be even remotely successful. I personally do not care which direction is taken (F2P, new server, or both) so long as it means having a healthier and steadier player population.

In the mean time, RIP zergs =)
  • The masses want f2p, and what's attractive about the 'other side' is the even reset and level playing field that is offered. This is could work on Live via the seasonal or ladder gameplay. No reason to reinvent the wheel look at Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and how they keep on chugging along.

What people want is subjective and very fickle, Kuji personally snapped his finger and over 1/2 of the Live population went away. In everyone's defense who no longer can post on these forums. ALOT of them where on the test server and made thread after thread after thread with very detailed feedback.

Hoping that Live can keep it going, tbh I'm not really convinced, but this is the game that I enjoy and I'm willing to pay my 32$ USD / monthly for the time being.

GL

p.s. Can hibs stop zerging on US primetime that would be swell k tx
  • There is only at sat/sun a hib zerg on us prime. And only if there is an alb/hib zerg out.

Based on the previous two weekends, I will only lead a HIb BG when there is another BG actively running. Therefore, I will no longer start at a set time and it will only last as long as there is zerg action.
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Maylox wrote: »

[edited]

Hard to know what the majority of DAoC players prefer, OF or NF, without polling. I personally doubt that classic DAoC is what the majority want since every private server loses a large fraction of its population once the nostalgia wears off. Live used to have classic DAoC servers during the Mythic era where ToA was removed but retained all other expansions and content. These servers were eventually closed during the super cluster, Ywain, and never made a return for reasons unbeknownst to me. I don't remember how the classic population compared to the normal ruleset population, but I do know there were more normal ruleset servers and (eventually) mini-clusters than classic servers.

DAoC is an old game with an aging player-base. Most have moved on. No new server, private or live, will ever capture the population this game had 15 years ago. The few of us that continue to play (any server), I think, can agree that no other MMO has the RvR game play that DAoC provides at its core. CU may put an end to that but I will make that judgement for myself when (if ever) it releases. I suspect Ywain's current population crisis stems primarily from resentment towards Broadsword as each major change has led to an apparent decrease in population. The newest private server is more a scapegoat for players quitting than an actual cause as its population has dropped significantly and continues to do so. Some players have returned to live, some (most?) have quit altogether.

While I think the F2P model will bring some new players into the game, I doubt that it will retain many. A significant number of current players have voted with their feet and refuse to pay until Broadsword makes the necessary changes (mostly reversions) to bring them back. Based on the number of posts here and on other forums, I think a clean slate server, regardless of ruleset, coupled with a F2P model will have the best chance to bring AND retain players so long as it's not like Ywain. This means Broadsword must listen to its player base for any new server to be even remotely successful. I personally do not care which direction is taken (F2P, new server, or both) so long as it means having a healthier and steadier player population.

In the mean time, RIP zergs =)

Classic servers died due to no population. The last time I logged onto classic before the cluster the hib population in the frontier was three. That included me. It's all nostalgia, people remember being happy back then and assume classic will bring that back. It doesn't.
  • @Badnagen I played on the classic cluster off and on until it died out as well. Vampiirs didn’t really help things either tbh there was a lot of glaring balance issues.

It was a fun time while it lasted
  • @Tyrantanic you’re a good leader and I’m
    not hating at all (actually want to play Hib more, but pop). Weekends are fun when the action is steady throughout the day EU and US primetimes.

GL

Based on the previous two weekends, I will only lead a HIb BG when there is another BG actively running. Therefore, I will no longer start at a set time and it will only last as long as there is zerg action.

I thought Hib was the only realm that didn't have an active BG during primetime, has that changed? If so, which realm is the underdog?
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus

For some. Game is still active during prime time hours. Action has been increasing a bit as well. There are tons of Albs, more Mids have appeared, and Hibs have good numbers in both prime times. The current community on Live is certainly less toxic than it was before the holidays. It's been very fun.

While I agree the community is less Toxic of late, I am seeing a frustrating trend of private BGs. It is certainly their prerogative but dang it makes it hard to get a group/BG when you /who bg and nothing shows up ...you ask in region and get silence...but then see a 2-2.5 group mini-zerg running. I am sure they are doing an alliance bg but when it is the only bg running it hurts the game to be so exclusive IMO. Mid has been REALLY bad about this lately.
  • Dale_Perf wrote: »
    We just had amazing action all night tonight. On a monday. At one point there were 3 zergs of equal size. Then it became good Alb v Hib fights all over the war map. The only lacking piece is the 8v8, which is why in my opinion zergs should stay away from EV for the most part.

Let them quit, when they come back we'll just be higher RR and it will be easier to collect RP's from them.

IMO The 8 mans need to go to the southern portion of the maps to do their thing. EV has the RP bonuses so expecting the masses/zergs, many of whom are the casual players, to give that up so that 8mans can run it is wrong IMO.
  • @Mace80 yea I’ve been in Mid almost exclusively lately and the first thing I noticed was a very glaring separation of the “RVR alliance” vs everyone else.
    I’ve never had any issues getting into groups or RVR’ing in any realm. I can see how others who are newer would feel excluded or even turned off by certain BG leaders.

Regarding 8’s on EV they know they will get added and they aim to steer clear of the BG’s. It’s not the BG responsibility to cater to their play style.

GL
    @Mace80 yea I’ve been in Mid almost exclusively lately and the first thing I noticed was a very glaring separation of the “RVR alliance” vs everyone else.
    I’ve never had any issues getting into groups or RVR’ing in any realm. I can see how others who are newer would feel excluded or even turned off by certain BG leaders.

Regarding 8’s on EV they know they will get added and they aim to steer clear of the BG’s. It’s not the BG responsibility to cater to their play style.

GL

Agreed, I have my old guild from way back when on mid. It isn't in an /asend as it is literally just my toons and my brother's. They've offered us invites only if we join existing larger guilds. In equal parts nostalgia, principal and logistics (what happens to my current guild house) I'm not too keen on that idea.
    @Mace80 yea I’ve been in Mid almost exclusively lately and the first thing I noticed was a very glaring separation of the “RVR alliance” vs everyone else.

GL

I tried to play on Midgard when I stopped playing my ranger full time. I've played daoc for about 15 years so I have one of about every class. More than one of some. I find it very hard to get groups on mid. Basically I have to play what ever toon is in short supply and needed, I don't get to choose what toon I want if I also want a group. I prefer to play the lower population, but I don't like getting run over solo all night. Mid also seems to have a paranoia that any time something goes wrong there must be spies. I think this fuels the position of not inviting new people.
  • Nevermore isn’t a bad guild and they will group up. I consider them to be very nice, they took my Mid toons in!
  • I even made a warrior named Keltrollius. lol
    Nevermore isn’t a bad guild and they will group up. I consider them to be very nice, they took my Mid toons in!

I have toons in all three nevermore guilds, decent people in all three. Guild population kinda low on all three lately. Doesn't matter, accounts go down tomorrow, after 15 years I'm tired of watching it die. Good luck Kelt.

Skinnyjeans
  • Take care Skinny!