Endless Conquest Suggestions

edited January 2019 in General Board
Below are my suggestions that I submitted to Broadsword regarding Endless Conquest. Feel free to discuss.

Restrictions listed on https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/endless-conquest-faq

- Cannot own or be given permission to access a house.
~ This is okay with me. However, I think F2P players should have access to the Housing Market to purchase items off of Consignment Merchants. Current restrictions do not clarify this.
Edit: my comment is addressed in the above link under Can Endless Conquest accounts place or use a house?

- Experience, bounty point, coin, and realm point gain will be significantly reduced and/or throttled compared to normal accounts.
~ This is good. I suggest adding a MTX feature where F2P players can purchase XP/RP/BP/coin buffs to temporarily alleviate their throttled gains.

- Will be unable to use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
~ I think this restriction should be removed. No reason to force players into New Frontiers if they have no interest. This is an opportunity to increase population in both Battlegrounds AND New Frontiers.

- Cannot skill up in tradeskills.
~ May consider reducing this restriction so F2P players can use Bountycraft and Siegecraft.

- Purchaseable access to the personal vault or /bank.
~ This is fine. I think adding an account-wide bank would be a great feature for both F2P and subscription players.

- Concentration buffs can only be cast on EC-enabled characters within the buffers' group and will be restricted in range.
~ This is an unnecessary restriction. Since "buff bots" are not accessible to F2P players, there is no reason to restrict F2P players from obtaining buffs from subscription players. The availability of buff potions also makes this restriction moot.

Restrictions still listed on http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Conquest (unsure if these are still being considered by Broadsword).

- 1 character slot
~ This should be expanded to allow enough character slots for each archetype (melee, caster, healer, hybrid?, and stealther). Perhaps allow F2P players to unlock archetype slots via the MTX store.

- 4 classes available in each realm (not spec-buffing classes).
~ I think the roster should be increased to all classes except for spec-buff classes. At minimum, classic races/classes should be immediately available while expansion races/classes could be unlocked via the MTX store.

- Will be limited to a maximum Realm Rank of 3L9.
~ This restriction should be removed entirely if the goal is to increase AND retain new players.

- Can only trade player-crafted items.
~ This restriction should also be removed entirely. If F2P players are to be competitive in RvR, they will require assistance in acquiring/purchasing gear that is not player-crafted.
Post edited by Tyrantanic on
"The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
"The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
"Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/

Comments

• edited January 2019 PM
    Are the moment, they want to provide an introduction to the game and hope to convert F2P to subscribers. If they just had faith in the MTX model and embraced delivery systems like Steam, we'd all be on F2P and this would be a non-issue.
    Post edited by Auberne on
  • I can see the reasoning behind no buying off merchants or trading non crafted items, with rps handed out like candy what's to stop every1 from making free account and trading over templates or setting all their gear to 1c taking merchants off list and buying from selves and canceling their paid account.
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • Auberne wrote: »
    Are the moment, they want to provide an introduction to the game and hope to convert F2P to subscribers. If they just had faith in the MTX model and embraced delivery systems like Steam, we'd all be on F2P and this would be a non-issue.

If Endless Conquest is only meant to be an introduction to the game, then they shouldn't be spending time/resources on it as we already have a trial account model. If they want a sustainable F2P model, then they have to utilize the MTX store.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • Boduke wrote: »
    I can see the reasoning behind no buying off merchants or trading non crafted items, with rps handed out like candy what's to stop every1 from making free account and trading over templates or setting all their gear to 1c taking merchants off list and buying from selves and canceling their paid account.

Based on the first link, F2P players can use the Market Explorer and buy items off Consignment Merchants. Restricting trading of non crafted items may not be considered as it's no longer listed on the official website. Since they plan to throttle RP earnings for F2P player, I strongly doubt those of us who are okay with paying a subscription would switch over to F2P accounts. Unless you only play one character that's not a restricted class and don't need vault space / crafters, there is no appeal in switching from paid to F2P as a current customer.
  • F2P should never get even close to what a paid subscription could/should acquire. That said, I have no constructive things to add for F2P since I’ve been paying all along. Yeah give them the jist of things, but if they want to compete, paid sub is needed.
  • A paid subscription should definitely be reserved for the full DAoC experience. However, if the goal is to bring in new players and retain them, then the F2P version has to be a functional form of DAoC. Restricting F2P players such that they cannot compete in RvR is counter intuitive and is no better than the trial accounts. I think Broadsword is going in the right direction with Endless Conquest assuming that the limitations that have been previously listed but are not to be found on the official site have been discarded.
  • F2P should have everything a normal account has except rp bonuses shouldnt effect them (bugg, holiday bonuses stuff like that) and maybe limit classes (no stealthers or spec buff classes anything else im pretty much fine with)

That will give people a decent start 3L9 is total **** for realm rank if you are limiting it it should be limited at like rank8 where they can atleast compete.
  • Isn't playing a worse version of DAOC even free a massive turn off? The whole point is to get new blood back into the game, not restrict them to a version worse then what you get in the battlegrounds.

The $ can be made in the mithirl shop, but BS doesn't even have a clue how to run it. *hint* yanno online and not via some secret hidden NPC in the town that causes a CTD.
  • Should have like traveling merchants set up for mithril tons of money for them... only have dumb masks
  • I would suggest limiting F2P as much as possible. Love it or hate it, I'd look to Elder Scrolls Online for inspiration. They have a robust cash shop full of cosmetics and quality-of-life items and I'd like to see a similar model here.

Throwing things to the wall to see what sticks:

Allow all classes.
    - Yes, I understand that this would mean that people's buff bot accounts go Free and Broadsword loses revenue from them. I'd suggest to offset this by offering QOL items in a cash shop that people would actually go for: 2 hour double realm point buffs or whatever. Something that people would want but isn't some "iwin potion." The rationale for allowing all classes is to let people explore whats there, find something they really enjoy playing...and maybe go subscription. Would the double-RP buff sell? I have no clue; that's open to debate. I have no idea what people would consider worth their money.

Implement a max of RR5.
    - Let people obtain their class-defining realm ability (which also speaks back to my first point about people finding something they really enjoy playing). RR5 gives enough toys to compete here and there, however, if they want to keep going they can consider a sub. If not, they can still log in and have some fun. I don't think that a wider mix of ranks would be a detriment; it might be a nice change of pace for newer/inexperienced people to not run into RR10+ all the time. Besides, if the whole point is to increase and retain population, don't give people more reasons to quit than necessary.

Allow /xp off.
    - Speaking with former players in other games over the years, I know that many have special places in their hearts for Thidranki (and the Battlegrounds in general). For some folks, coming back just to screw around in Thid on the weekends might be the best thing since sliced bread. Allow them to make xp-locked characters and increase the action there and in the other battlegrounds.

Give subbed players some passive buff love.
    - 100% passive bonus to experience and realm points. %25 passive faster crafting speeds. 50% more bank space. Anything that is highly desirable but not game-breaking for those that don't have it.

Sell cosmetic items to everyone.
    - I'm not sure if this is realistic as I don't have a clue about character models, textures, etc., but sell some fancy cosmetic armors and weapons that work on both old and new character models. For some folks, looking cool is part of an MMO. Play to that and make some money off it.

Again, just some ideas. TLDR: limit F2P as much as possible. Implement a robust cash shop with only QOL and cosmetic items. Allow F2P to get RR5, play all classes and /xp off battleground characters.
  • One thing that should happen is if someone changes their name they should not have to copy/paste their character files to retain their hotbars and qbinds. If you paid ADDITIONAL money this stuff should not happen. Can’t use the idea of enticing new or old folks into buying things if it doesn’t work properly. Just a thought.
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    One thing that should happen is if someone changes their name they should not have to copy/paste their character files to retain their hotbars and qbinds. If you paid ADDITIONAL money this stuff should not happen. Can’t use the idea of enticing new or old folks into buying things if it doesn’t work properly. Just a thought.

This is because the UI is stored locally and tied to the character name. While I think BS could change how these files are identified (characeter slot ID rather than name), it's not worth taking their time away from other projects. The copy/paste method works and it's not a huge inconvenience as it takes less than a minute to do. Maybe we'll get a change regarding this minor inconvenience when they update the UI after Endless Conquest. Perhaps the ability to save and load hotbar/qbind setups through the client.
  • I understand Beetle, just pointing one instance out. Most games pay for extras do not have you doing extra work. lol
  • Outside of the game to make it work in game. We are in an App game culture now.
  • edited January 2019 PM
    [edited]

Obviously there is a demand for classic DAOC. If they want to bring them back onto Live then they need to not be as restrictive. A lot can be said and improved in the Cash shop to make up for the revenue. Right now it’s pretty clumsy interface (random NPC in capital city) and the masks aren't that great.
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • JakJak
    edited January 2019 PM
    What is the point in bringing f2p when the lower lvl quests/game play are bugged to hell and back? This will not retain players at all.

I had two friends come and try the 2 weeks free to play. I can't tell you how many quest bugs they ran into. They didn't report any, as what is the point with a 2 week trial account. Why would people come to play the game and run into the same issues and then want to PAY for things? They wouldn't.

As much as I want the game to continue and the population to increase for a healthy rve game. These things are not going to happen when these issues continue to be outstanding and not addresses/fixed.
    Post edited by Jak on
  • At least we will have masks!
  • An old fashioned paper bag mask....we can color our masks!!
  • I don't know much about Ultima Online but it looks like Broadsword launched a F2P version of it. Restrictions look tame. Hopefully, they'll take a similar route for DAoC.

https://uo.com/endless-journey/
  • edited January 2019 PM
    DAoC kinda requires some effort to learn, not everyone going to enjoy it, but what's the issue, not like WoW is not a mess today with all the changes there. I also may be old player, but when I returned and got alot of fresh 50's doing quests till 35 then ToA, I only had one quest bugged in alb which I could never do, not more. Hib/Mid I could do all without bugs on many chars.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • edited January 2019 PM
    Gavner wrote: »
    DAoC kinda requires some effort to learn, not everyone going to enjoy it, but what's the issue, not like WoW is not a mess today with all the changes there. I also may be old player, but when I returned and got alot of fresh 50's doing quests till 35 then ToA, I only had one quest bugged in alb which I could never do, not more. Hib/Mid I could do all without bugs on many chars.

[edited] They are learning the game and adapting on the fly.
    There is a significant demand for not only something NEW, but also Classic/SI with QoL updates for DAOC as we knew it. If F2P is the future of Live DAOC then JBS and team need to figure it out and not make it so restrictive that they will quit instantly.

My suggestion
    Season and/or Ladder play which is limited in duration 2-6 months and at the end will automatically transfer you back onto Ywain live. This will allow the classic or SI or Mordred style of playing and in the end funnel them back onto Ywain. If they don't want to play Live fine you just wait until the next ladder or season in the meantime.
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • If there was desire for a classic server, **** and the like wouldn't tank in population after a couple months. Nostalgia is what brings in many of these players. When it wears off, the population drops. That being said, introducing a ladder server with rotating rulesets and Ywain rollover could keep new/returning players around longer than the current model. Definitiely a good way to spice things up.
  • edited January 2019 PM
    If there was desire for a classic server, **** and the like wouldn't tank in population after a couple months. Nostalgia is what brings in many of these players. When it wears off, the population drops. That being said, introducing a ladder server with rotating rulesets and Ywain rollover could keep new/returning players around longer than the current model. Definitiely a good way to spice things up.

I agree, but it's not that simple it's the "newness" factor combined with the Classic/SI/QoL changes. This is why f2p won't have a very significant impact on Live. How many will stick around at rr nothing to get farmed by all the rr11/12's in the game?!

They need to go all in and do a hard RP reset on Ywain live at some point or else f2p accounts will NEVER stick around on Live. (they get their cake and eat it too for free fifty on 'other servers'). Why I suggest something like a ladder/season play on Live to attract them and then auto transfer them to Ywain at the end.
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • Let them play all the way to 50, but they can’t go to NF til they become a paid subscriber. Let them craft, buy a house, etc, etc. They just can’t goto NF. Might improve the battlegrounds, more folks in CV more likely to hit RR5, then have a few RAs before paying to goto big boy RVR.
  • No OW, Curse, or Bountycraft
  • edited January 2019 PM
    Keltorius wrote: »
    Let them play all the way to 50, but they can’t go to NF til they become a paid subscriber. Let them craft, buy a house, etc, etc. They just can’t goto NF. Might improve the battlegrounds, more folks in CV more likely to hit RR5, then have a few RAs before paying to goto big boy RVR.
    Keltorius wrote: »
    No OW, Curse, or Bountycraft

This is too restrictive and isn't conducive to the goal of bringing in new/returning players. The key to making EC profitable is the MTX store. While having new players purchase a subscription would be great, the ultimate goal is to increase population. Requiring a subscription fee to access end-game content will not retain players.
    Post edited by Tyrantanic on
  • Gavner wrote: »
    DAoC kinda requires some effort to learn, not everyone going to enjoy it,

When you're dealing with a game as old as DAoC is and the dwindling player population, this alone is quite an issue. I attempted to log back in on a friend's account and was floored by just how clunky DAoC is compared to more modern games. Quickly logged back out reaffirmed in my decision to walk away. There is no reason the game should be as difficult as it is to learn. At the very least they could refresh some of the extremely outdated material out there should new players actually want to take the time to learn.