What do stat debuffs do in pve?

As the question says, I'm wondering what stat debuffs do when cast on monsters. I've been testing out a champion and I've been liking the class pretty well, but the debuffs which are the core of the valor line don't seem to actually do that much, if anything, against monsters except for the combat speed debuff which isn't actually a stat debuff. I kept thinking maybe the effect would become more noticeable at higher levels, but she's now level 50 with 49 in valor and it's still seems very underwhelming. From my search trying to find an answer online, I learned that stat debuffs can be quite effective in rvr; however, since I play on Gaheris, I'm only personally interested in their effectiveness in pve.

Best Answer

• PM Answer ✓
    If I remember right, originally they did nothing.

At some point they were modified so stat buffs / debuffs effected npcs. Mind you, this is me remembering details from over 10-15 years ago:

Str should increase or reduce the damage a NPC does
    Con should increase or reduce the amount of damage they take
    Dex should have some impact on their ability to defend (parry and stuff)

Some of the epic monsters like the Dragon are immune to debuffs.

Answers

• Thanks for the info. That's definitely the case for buffing an npc and it's very noticeable when you compare a buffed and unbuffed pet. A fully buffed pet only takes a small fraction of the damage that it otherwise would. On the other hand, debuffing con doesn't seem to be making much if any difference to how much damage monsters take nor does it seem to make them die significantly faster as if it was reducing their hp.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but it's rather significant for pve champions since the stat debuffs are such a big part of the valor line. I guess I'll try dropping points from valor to bring up parry and using my paladin buff bot in place of my bard to bump up the champion's physical attacks. I suspect this may end up essentially creating a weaker version of my LW hero. At least it's no big loss if I don't keep the character since it's so fast getting to 50 anymore and I enjoy trying out new things.
  • the only reason to use champ de buffs in pve is for the benefits they give you and your group. a lil extra magic resist..crit chance etc.