Purchasable account upgrades

edited July 2023 in General Board
I play several other free-to-play with a subscription option MMOs which offer purchasable account upgrades. Some of these are convenience options for all accounts while others remove limitations from free-to-play accounts.

For all accounts, I would love to have a shared bank option as well as a way to increase individual bank storage. I know housing chests work like a shared bank, but they're not that convenient compared to having access at any banker. Crafters in particular could use much more individual storage. It's annoying to keep having to pull components off of a "mule".

As far as unlocks for free-to-play accounts, there are quite a few possibilities. Allowing more race options would be at the top of my personal list. The ability to unlock classes would also be nice. Whether or not this should include stealthers and maybe one or two other classes that are a bit unbalanced should be discussed with the player base first, but that leaves several classes that are in some cases less powerful than others that are already included in free-to-play. Crafting and housing could also be made available. Finally, it would be nice to have access to champion abilities.

If I plan to play enough to justify the cost, I subscribe for a few months on my main accounts. I also have a strictly free-to-play account that I play occasionally if I'm waiting for the 120 day timer to expire on the main accounts. I would happily pay for shared banking on all of my accounts and for more storage for at least a few characters. I would also pay to unlock housing on my main accounts so that I could have houses that wouldn't be repossessed when my subscriptions expire. I would also happily pay to unlock a couple races and a few classes on my free-to-play account.

As common as things like this are on other MMOs, I can't imagine that they aren't a really good money maker. I think this could be win-win for the players and the developers. At the current price, I can't justify keeping ongoing subscriptions for multiple accounts, but I would be willing to spend some extra money on the game if I was given the proper incentive to do so and for me that incentive is not the current cosmetics and consumables.
Post edited by Elspeth on

Comments

• Elspeth wrote: »
    I play several other free-to-play with a subscription option MMOs which offer purchasable account upgrades. Some of these are convenience options for all accounts while others remove limitations from free-to-play accounts.

For all accounts, I would love to have a shared bank option as well as a way to increase individual bank storage. I know housing chests work like a shared bank, but they're not that convenient compared to having access at any banker. Crafters in particular could use much more individual storage. It's annoying to keep having to pull components off of a "mule".

As far as unlocks for free-to-play accounts, there are quite a few possibilities. Allowing more race options would be at the top of my personal list. The ability to unlock classes would also be nice. Whether or not this should include stealthers and maybe one or two other classes that are a bit unbalanced should be discussed with the player base first, but that leaves several classes that are in some cases less powerful than others that are already included in free-to-play. Crafting and housing could also be made available. Finally, it would be nice to have access to champion abilities.

If I plan to play enough to justify the cost, I subscribe for a few months on my main accounts. I also have a strictly free-to-play account that I play occasionally if I'm waiting for the 120 day timer to expire on the main accounts. I would happily pay for shared banking on all of my accounts and for more storage for at least a few characters. I would also pay to unlock housing on my main accounts so that I could have houses that wouldn't be repossessed when my subscriptions expire. I would also happily pay to unlock a couple races and a few classes on my free-to-play account.

As common as things like this are on other MMOs, I can't imagine that they aren't a really good money maker. I think this could be win-win for the players and the developers. At the current price, I can't justify keeping ongoing subscriptions for multiple accounts, but I would be willing to spend some extra money on the game if I was given the proper incentive to do so and for me that incentive is not the current cosmetics and consumables.

I'd flat out pay 100 bucks for this. Right now. Literally.

THIS.
    SECOND.
    - The derision of your enemies is the highest possible form of praise.

- I intend to coarsen. I want stark contrasts drawn. I want polarization. I will not quietly accept clown-world so as not to upset anyone. I am not tolerant of our impending and increasing slavery.
  • I agree with the overall post. Some QoL stuff and unlocks in the mithril store would be nice.
  • I realized that I forgot the thing I've probably spent more on than anything else in other games . . . extra character slots. I would definitely be interested in buying some for at least one of my accounts and possibly for one of my other accounts too for more storage. That is if we don't get a purchasable storage expansion which is what I would prefer since it's more convenient than switching between mules.
  • edited July 2023 PM
    I'd buy that too.

Broadsowrd - if you want to look at a company that has made a killing selling "stash" upgrades, check out Grinding Gear Games.

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/stash-tabs

They sell all manner of extra bank and inventory slots, and they are very popular.

Imagine special inventory tabs for crafting materials or weapons. (Their stash tabs also function as a consignment merchant, allowing you to sell things from them to other players). They also sell extra character slots, which is a very helpful feature. Additionally, their hideout decorations are also incredibly popular. (The hideout is the equivalent of player housing in DAoC).

I would also pay more for more house decoration slots.

I'm deadly serious, I will pay you a lot of money for some cool bank/stash features. I've spent about $9,000.00 USD on PoE since 2015. All of it Hideout decorations, character cosmetics and mostly, hundreds and hundreds of stash tabs.
    Post edited by Northerncross_G on
    - The derision of your enemies is the highest possible form of praise.

- I intend to coarsen. I want stark contrasts drawn. I want polarization. I will not quietly accept clown-world so as not to upset anyone. I am not tolerant of our impending and increasing slavery.