Reopening Catacombs

I think it is time we discussed reopening the Catacombs zones that have been closed off. I know this has been discussed before but I never saw a real clear answer on when they were going to be reopened.

The zones/quests found in this expansion provided a lot of great content that I and many I have spoken with in game would like to re-explore. Additionally these zones provided unique gear much of which has PvE related bonuses that are not found elsewhere.

With the mithril shop and item skins being so popular Broadsword could make easy profit by just opening these zones back up without changing them. I understand removing the aurulite dungeons or simply turning the aurulite drops off, but other than that adjustment leave the zones as is. The playerbase is not asking for a revamped area or for new loot tables like has happened in so many other zones over the years.

What are others thoughts on this?

Comments

• I don't think they should have been closed to begin with.
  • Normally your happy to get expansions or zones but not to have them taken away.
  • everquest added more levels by making 2 instances of a zone. they could utilize it in the same way. one for old zones and new for their campains etc.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    IIRC, Catacombs was closed to be revamped with updated end-game content. This was partially fulfilled via the Curse campaign but was never fully completed. I think they shifted their focus after the mass exodus occurred back in 2019 to retain the population that remained. BS has limited resources and personnel time so they're attempting to be strategical about their approach to maintaining the game. They've recently made some, imo, good decisions / updates between the Caledonia event and EV porting. I think it would be nice to have the Catacombs zones back, but I personally don't feel it's an immediate concern.

What I would love to see them do is expand BP drops into PvE areas like SI, OW campaign, old epic quests, etc. Doppel Shards should be updated to remove undesirable items, old dragon patch gear should be available through Bountycraft, and respec stones & battlefield potions should be placed on the bounty merchant. Swap SI dungeon alternate currency to BPs but keep the merchant. It's been over a year since Bountycraft has been introduced and I think it's time to fully convert everything from the old alternate currency system over to BPs.
    Post edited by puter on
  • I certainly think some tweaking should be done for BP drops like you said, as long as there is a way to still use existing old currency without getting gouged from the exchange merchant.

But for the topic of Catacombs I think it would be an easy thing to put back in by re-enabling the zones. Additionally from a business perspective, the amount of money they could make from people skinning items for the work put in is smart.
  • #BringBackCatacombs2K21

WTB Winged Terror remains/trophy (Hib Catacombs gargoyle)
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • I too miss the old Catacombs, and the stories therein.
    While there may be some technical issues preventing their full return, i'd at least would like the loot (from the now closed dungeons) to return in some form.
    Yes, out with the aurulite, in with the PVE bonus loot!
  • If the Catacombs content was brought back, I would be much more likely to stay continuously subscribed on my two currently active accounts. It might also give me the incentive to resubscribe my third account. Catacombs was my favorite expansion by far. I was extremely disappointed when I came back only to discover that it had been removed. If they want to do something else with another copy of the Catacombs zones, I don't see that as being a problem. DAOC has reused design content from the very beginning with a prime example being some of the original dungeons. It's such a shame to see some of the designers' very best work going to waste.