Why can't I come back with my old account and play for free?

I played back in the early 2000s and had a lot of fun. Sadly, the population fell on the PVP server and it just wasn't worth paying a monthly subscription. Now I find out you can play for free, yet I have to start over with a new account and can't use any of my old characters. That's a pretty hefty deterrent. No grandfather rule? Please?

Comments

• Uh you can definitely use your old account. Did you ever transfer to Ywain?
  • I emailed support and they explained that they forgot to enable Endless Conquest. They fixed it and my old account shows active now. I have not tried it yet, but it looks like I'll be able to transfer my characters now. I was pretty sad when I thought I could not, but it may have been a misunderstanding! I'll report back so other returning players know how it works.
  • Thanks for posting. I think if you've been inactive for long enough and suddenly come back, it hasn't included your account in any potential activation. It sort of makes sense, there were what, a million accounts?
  • Everything seemed to work. I was able to transfer my characters to Ywain servers. I now have to figure out how to play again. Obviously, much has changed.