How to read a forum

First, I process the listed topics and mentally discard noise

I review the items that seem of interest and decide if and when to read them
-- To process items in this stage, I reread the headline and/or skim the post to see if it is worth my time
-- During this stage, if I get a couple sentences in or watch a few seconds of a video (if provided) and decide I’m no longer interested and/or there is no benefit to reading it, I just skip it and move on.

Finally, while reading, I decide if and when to get involved in the conversation. Sometimes, I won’t have anything to add, and that’s fine

I decide for me what is of interest. I decide for me whether to comment or not. I can ignore whoever I wish by not clicking on any post that they make.

I posted this information because it seemed as tho people might believe that they needed to read every post and were getting upset at some posts. I wanted to help by letting them know it wasn't required.
Bumblebunny to the rescue !

Comments

• Is this directed at Nate? If so, I’m good with it. lol
  • It's more how some folks are warned/more for simple statements and others can get away with much worse -- it's that silly notion of fundamental fairness, not what to read and not read.
  • I recognize your point. The challenge with fairness in this arena is deciding when something that is said is a violation. I believe that the Dev's do their best. I suspect that they would be quite content if comments remained constructive and there were fewer "a pox upon your house" statements. Lively discussion can be entertaining. What may be funny for one, is an insult for another.
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • Siambra wrote: »

-- To process items in this stage, I reread the headline and/or skim the post to see if it is worth my time
    -- During this stage, if I get a couple sentences in or watch a few seconds of a video (if provided) and decide I’m no longer interested and/or there is no benefit to reading it, I just skip it and move on.

Finally, while reading, I decide if and when to get involved in the conversation. Sometimes, I won’t have anything to add, and that’s fine

I decide for me what is of interest. I decide for me whether to comment or not. I can ignore whoever I wish by not clicking on any post that they make.

I posted this information because it seemed as tho people might believe that they needed to read every post and were getting upset at some posts. I wanted to help by letting them know it wasn't required.

Oh this post can help many people ! Thank you :)
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Siambra wrote: »

Agree'd 100%

Edit: Can this be sticky'd as educational? @beibhinn
    Post edited by Amp_Phetamine on
    I recognize your point. The challenge with fairness in this arena is deciding when something that is said is a violation. I believe that the Dev's do their best. I suspect that they would be quite content if comments remained constructive and there were fewer "a pox upon your house" statements. Lively discussion can be entertaining. What may be funny for one, is an insult for another.

The rules are straightforward, just haven't been enforced in the same manner ---my opinion

There were two discussions going on, one was discussing perceived bias towards/for individuals and the other was discussing the amount of spam-threads populating the forum. I have nothing to say concerning the first topic as I don't believe there is a case of biased towards/for anyone. The second discussion was what interests me. And your novel advice of just not reading one of these spam-threads has been presented as a counter point before. The pushback on your point is that simply not reading these spam-threads doesn't change the fact that they push all of the other threads further to the back simply to draw attention to the exact same topic.

So while I agree that not reading spam-threads is certainly an option, it doesn't do enough to address the problem these spam-threads are creating.
  • Sovereign wrote: »

There were two discussions going on, one was discussing perceived bias towards/for individuals and the other was discussing the amount of spam-threads populating the forum. I have nothing to say concerning the first topic as I don't believe there is a case of biased towards/for anyone. The second discussion was what interests me. And your novel advice of just not reading one of these spam-threads has been presented as a counter point before. The pushback on your point is that simply not reading these spam-threads doesn't change the fact that they push all of the other threads further to the back simply to draw attention to the exact same topic.

So while I agree that not reading spam-threads is certainly an option, it doesn't do enough to address the problem these spam-threads are creating.

What about people such as yourself who complain of spam, yet keep it bumped at the top ?
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

• Natebruner wrote: »
    What about people such as yourself who complain of spam, yet keep it bumped at the top ?

I commented on the thread that was newly created by a different individual. The threads I consider spam-threads number far more than 2 or 3, have a single reoccurring author, and a reoccurring topic that is not of a constructive nature.
    Natebruner wrote: »

I commented on the thread that was newly created by a different individual. The threads I consider spam-threads number far more than 2 or 3, have a single reoccurring author, and a reoccurring topic that is not of a constructive nature.

You are failing to understand. You call my threads spam but yet you keep them bumped.
    Understand now ?
    HERORIUS

You are failing to understand. You call my threads spam but yet you keep them bumped.
    Understand now ?

You also fail to recognized that I am not the only person commenting in your threads. You yourself do more than your share of keeping your threads bumped to the top as do people that obviously support you.

Recall, that I don't say your threads don't belong on the forum nor do I ever state people should not post in them. The fact that some people clearly are interested in them and post to them is the reason I say that they should be located in another section of the forum. Both the amount of spam-threads created and the length of time they remain active contribute to them making it difficult for others to find topics and information they seek. These threads remaining at the forefront of the forum, for whatever reason, is the whole point.

Understand now?
    Understand now ?

You also fail to recognized that I am not the only person commenting in your threads. You yourself do more than your share of keeping your threads bumped to the top as do people that obviously support you.

Recall, that I don't say your threads don't belong on the forum nor do I ever state people should not post in them. The fact that some people clearly are interested in them and post to them is the reason I say that they should be located in another section of the forum. Both the amount of spam-threads created and the length of time they remain active contribute to them making it difficult for others to find topics and information they seek. These threads remaining at the forefront of the forum, for whatever reason, is the whole point.

Understand now?

So you at least admit you call it "spam" yet keep the "spam" bumped. Point proven.
    HERORIUS

• I got a few sentences in and decided this post was weak and needed something ... Here, it needs this

mknbgwuu7wd6.png
    ~Westies
  • JakJak
    edited October 2018 PM
    Sovereign wrote: »
    Understand now ?

Understand now?

So you at least admit you call it "spam" yet keep the "spam" bumped. Point proven.

Goodness gracious, there are not enough words to describe the....wait, would that considered baiting? Never mind....

Edit - I missed the awesomeness of the smiting kittie!
    Post edited by Jak on

Wow. Well heed your own advice and ignore the people that are upset then. If you need help with that read above.
  • This post needs more memes.

fikbq7iowf09.jpg
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/

I was looking at just the FIRST page of the forums;) and this is what I found
    starting from the bottom;) moving up;)
    5 random topics
    1- October 12- Nate - vids (which honestly his post reads more like story telling;) which imo, promotes the game;)
    4 topics
    2- October 12- Nate- discussion, no vid;) (ppl commented on said thread, bumped etc, last comment 0ct 14)
    4 topics
    3-October 14-Nate- discussion, no vid;) (last comment Oct 15)
    1 topic
    4-October 15- Nate- vids (last comment Oct 17)
    4 topics
    5- October 18- Nate- don't see vids;) Discussion of ST's in RVR (last comment Oct 18)
    8 topics
    6- October 16- Nate- vids (bumped last @ about 12:19am October 19, by someone other than Nate;) last comment October 19)
    2 topics
    7- October 18-Nate-
    3 topics above his post;)
    By the time I finish typing all of this;) it will probably read differently lol point being;) he's not spamming the forums;) you can obviously get to any other topic on the forums;) without any trouble;)
    <3Baby;)
    Baby-Friar
    Babe-Reaver
    Babys-Warden
    Babydoll-Shaman
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Turns out even if you ignore someone you can still see their threads on the forum and the OP , but the rest of messages below will show as ignored
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • Can we please keep at least one board drama free?

• edited October 2018 PM
    Baby wrote: »

I was looking at just the FIRST page of the forums;) and this is what I found
    starting from the bottom;) moving up;)
    5 random topics
    1- October 12- Nate - vids (which honestly his post reads more like story telling;) which imo, promotes the game;)
    4 topics
    2- October 12- Nate- discussion, no vid;) (ppl commented on said thread, bumped etc, last comment 0ct 14)
    4 topics
    3-October 14-Nate- discussion, no vid;) (last comment Oct 15)
    1 topic
    4-October 15- Nate- vids (last comment Oct 17)
    4 topics
    5- October 18- Nate- don't see vids;) Discussion of ST's in RVR (last comment Oct 18)
    8 topics
    6- October 16- Nate- vids (bumped last @ about 12:19am October 19, by someone other than Nate;) last comment October 19)
    2 topics
    7- October 18-Nate-
    3 topics above his post;)
    By the time I finish typing all of this;) it will probably read differently lol point being;) he's not spamming the forums;) you can obviously get to any other topic on the forums;) without any trouble;)

Funny that all the people defending his spamming of the threads are all playing Albion and running with his zerg. I believe you were the one who returned a relic, correct?

To be fair, I will admit that over the last week or so it has not been as bad as before, however, 11 out of 50 posts means that Nate still accounts for 22% of the posts in the first page. You seemed to miscount his posts. you list 7 and it is 11. Also, you ignore that he had 18 out of 50 posts on the 2nd page for 36% of the posts. Which means it has improved. Thank you @Natebruner. I honestly mean that and not trying to be a smart a$$.
    Post edited by RonELuvv on
  • Can we please keep at least one board drama free?

Drama free eh