Cathal Valley and F2P

Just a thought about CV. Take it to 50 with same RR5 cap and make a place where F2P players can be til they get a subscription. Some things need to be ironed out still but a thought nonetheless.
Tagged:

Comments

• I’d be tempted to play in CV on my newer toons. I think this is a good idea, but I feel would lower even further the actual rvr population
  • That is a possible side effect. Just a place where it may be more balanced for F2P folks, some maybe new to game.
  • Sounds good, but im seeing people just taking their **** temps from their mains, and dropping it on their cv toons and destroying everything. New/returners would still have no chance, they would just be dying to lower rr's instead of 12's all the time
  • i mean I can see why, but a level 50 bg would just split RvR and i think just too much.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • I just thought of it as new way for some that might actually be new to the game not be discouraged by getting killed too many times and quit. But Skeetz is right, some folks would do exactly that, swap template gear.
  • i mean I can see why, but a level 50 bg would just split RvR and i think just too much.

then i guess you have no faith in f2p bringing lots of people :P
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Cap the rps earned per kill to 2/3 that in NF RvR. This is a great idea to help people get a better idea of how to play their classes without diving into the deep end. You could basically take EV and reskin it for the 50 bg.
    Post edited by Rulother on

Removing /xp off and /rp off would also help in steering the purpose of this lvl 50 bg so that players can get exposed to higher level RVR/PVP without encouraging people to stay there indefinitely. However, your concerns that it could further split up the RVR population can't be ignored. I've often made that same argument when similar ideas were presented. It certainly is something to be concerned about. Perhaps in lieu of a lvl 50 BG, this is where an arena could come in. If an arena system was instituted and people did not receive RP's or RVR/PVP titles people could get exposure to RVR/PVP mechanics without being encouraged to stay.
  • I getcha, but we're not considering arenas in DAoC for RvR currently.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • I getcha, but we're not considering arenas in DAoC for RvR currently.

And that is completely understandable especially given the limited resources you have to work with. Ultimately, you have what you've had to work with in the past, trying to entice players to provide testing by giving them some sort of reward that isn't game breaking, or if it is a powerful item will then make its way to the game in some other form. Everyone knows BS is going to get heat no matter what they do, it's the nature of people to complain about something.

Try to entice players to test, people say you're forcing them to test. Go live, people will complain you went live with bugs that should've been tested. Test yourselves, people will be upset you didn't catch every single bug. Ask for help, people will say they don't pay to test. All that on top of the fact that people will already be upset or annoyed at any changes they don't like for whatever reason. It's the typical pattern for any and every patch that has been introduced.

Just hunker down and deal with the bugs you're alerted to after it goes live.
  • Sometimes I think we should have made realm rank level bonuses to armor and weapons as you hit certain realm ranks. In a way like champ levels do to the kings epic armor, myths and such. I thought the intent of F2P was to attract new blood to the game not just returning players.
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    Sometimes I think we should have made realm rank level bonuses to armor and weapons as you hit certain realm ranks. In a way like champ levels do to the kings epic armor, myths and such. I thought the intent of F2P was to attract new blood to the game not just returning players.

Im sure the plan is to attract new as well, but lets face it 99% of active subs that play DAoC right now are people that have been playing it forever. New player and DAOC should just be taken off the table.
  • skeetz wrote: »
    Im sure the plan is to attract new as well, but lets face it 99% of active subs that play DAoC right now are people that have been playing it forever. New player and DAOC should just be taken off the table.

I feel their focus is more on current and potential returning players. You'd be hard pressed to draw in brand new players (and keep them) given the steep learning curve, cost of and attainability of top templates, and unfriendly RR gap. Also, you have to factor in how old and dated the game is compared to what's out there now.
  • All valid points. I started this game in August of 2002 on Alb/Bors. Still love it despite nerfs, patches, bugs, etc, etc. Sigh, guess I’m dreaming of days long past.
  • Sovereign wrote: »
    Removing /xp off and /rp off...

I’m totally down with removing /RP off, period. /xp off no

Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters