Opening an open to all captains draft set fight discord

edited August 2018 in General Board
Hello everyone!

To bring in some new life into the 8vs8 scene (and 5on5 etc) we are creating a captains draft set fight channel. For those who don´t know what captains draft is, it is basically the format that was often used in playground sports when you grew up. Meaning you get a bunch of people and then you choose 2 captains who pick the teams. With other words you sign up as an individual.

Introduction

The channel with feature players from all skill levels and experiences fighting side by side vs the enemy team. The main purpose of the channel is to make even fights and get more people interested in formats such as 5v5, 6v6, 7v7 and 8vs8.
The absolute biggest threat that the channel is expecting to face is flaming. Therefore it is important to not over blame your less experienced team mates every time you lose and also of course that players are able to take some criticism without losing their mind.
We have not yet entirely figured out how we should deal with these issues so any suggestions are welcome.

Game rules
1. Players will join drafts by using a command in the discord such as !add. When enough players have added themselves to the draft (16 for 8vs8, 12 for 6v6 etc.) 2 captains will be chosen.
2. Captains will pick players 1-2-2-2-1 meaning whichever captain gets the second pick will get to choose 2 players for his team from the pool on his first pick.
3. Once the teams are set captains need to decide which realms they should play for instance one team is hib and other is mid.
4. Each player needs to join voice com with their team and discuss who plays what.
5. An area will be decided for where the fight will occur. When the fight is finished the involved players can decide if they want to go again with same teams or if they wish to redraft.

Requirements to get in
While we do want to keep the channel as open as possible, it is clear that there has to be a couple of minimum requirements to even make it work.
1. Players may apply if they have at least one "group character" on at least 2 (preferably all 3) realms. On the application it is good if you write which temped characters that you have (OW temp or better will be considered temped).
2. You need to be able to join a voice com, have some basic understanding of English (enough to understand mezz calls, target calls etc.). It also helps if you have a mic but if you don´t have one currently, you can still get in.
3. Respect other people in the channel, ego fights will not be tolerated within the channel and neither will huge flaming. (Some mild criticism will of course be alright to hand out).
4. Once things are working as they should with the bot, players need to list their characters to the channels bot so people can see what classes you can play by typing a command such as !info <name> in the channel. My suggestion is also that we can divide these into 3-4 RR categories such as RR1-4, RR5-8, RR9-11, RR12+.

Let´s use this thread for applications and questions.
Post edited by Chamie on

Comments

• Applications lol, DAoC is now a job
  • Naw @Areir this is actually a pretty streamlined format to allow draft fights to happen in a more efficient fashion. I think @Chamie has done a fantastic job taking the time to develop this and it'll help introduce a breath of fresh air into the group v group scene in NF.

Although I may not be personally participating as my play time is extremely limited and my only tempd toon is my Armsman, I think this is a great idea and would love to see it work over time.
  • edited August 2018 PM
    @Areir yeah maybe application is a bad word here since it makes it sound like it´s hard to get accepted when in fact, as long as you meet the requirement to be able to play you will be invited.

Anyway I have lead inhouse channels in the past in other games and I think application has been the word we have been using but it was several years ago so I can´t really remember =).
    Post edited by Chamie on
  • I like it chamie... thank you for the time you have been putting into this and can't wait to see it in action
  • Time to get a new hobby.
  • Chamie wrote: »
    @Areir yeah maybe application is a bad word here since it makes it sound like it´s hard to get accepted when in fact, as long as you meet the requirement to be able to play you will be invited.

Anyway I have lead inhouse channels in the past in other games and I think application has been the word we have been using but it was several years ago so I can´t really remember =).

Yeah that was my only point, something along the lines of an entry form sounds much more accessible
  • Looks like we might do an alpha opening of this very soon. We have quite a few people from the 8 man community that will be interested already but Would be really nice if we could reach out even to those who dont belong to the 8 man community to give this a shot.
  • I don't run 8 vs 8 but this seems like an awesome idea!
  • I might give it a try as long as I’m not yelled at and ridiculed by the egomaniacs.
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    I might give it a try as long as I’m not yelled at and ridiculed by the egomaniacs.

well thats the idea, short sweet sets of 3-5 redraft go again.

if its really takes off and the drafting process takes an hour to choose/draft 6 groups of ppl - then that could also be an issue.
  • Yeah. That would be a setback
  • Just plain dumb
  • tald wrote: »
    BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    I might give it a try as long as I’m not yelled at and ridiculed by the egomaniacs.

well thats the idea, short sweet sets of 3-5 redraft go again.

if its really takes off and the drafting process takes an hour to choose/draft 6 groups of ppl - then that could also be an issue.

ya... but if it takes off you can always do the draft a few hours or even the night before... most people even if not at home can access discord from there phones
  • kedelin wrote: »
    most people even if not at home can access discord from there phones

• SymSym
    edited August 2018 PM
    This is cool, one question, can we put a time limit on fight duration? From watching recorded fights on the Arena server, the fights take way too long and have way too much conservative fighting. Maybe 10 mins tops?
    Post edited by Sym on
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs