New Server Feedback

edited January 2022 in General Board
I've heard a lot of people unsure of how to provide feedback. I'm creating this thread to help people submit ideas, have a place to get ideas, and know that their ideas are being heard. First, here's a link to the official feedback. https://darkageofcamelot.com/contact

Second, how to send in feedback.

1) Remember that you're talking to a person, so don't be pissy.
2) When you send your thoughts, be as organized as you can be. I'm more than happy to help people hone in what they're trying to say so even if all you are doing is throwing out random ideas, we can sharpen them to be what you're trying to say clearly and concisely.

My general guide that I follow is this:

1) Introduction that defines the problem that you see. This doesn't need to be long, simply stating the problem that you see is enormously useful as it contextualizes everything else that you're talking about.

2) The solution you're proposing. Be detailed. Why do you think this solves the problem you defined? Keep it as opinion-less as possible. I have a section where I put my opinion on why I think that what I'm doing is good and why it might be bad. But in this part, it's simply the cold emotionless mechanic as if I'm reading through it like it's a patch notes.

3) I like to include a section where I discuss why I think what I'm proposing is doable with the limited resources they have. I'm not a programmer, it's a complete guess on my end. But I find this step useful as it helps to think about where the game is today and where I'm trying to take it. It really helps to make ideas better as I go from something that simply cannot be done to something that can be done but solves the the same problem I'm interested in.

4) A little argument for why you think this is good. This is where I put in my opinion. Keep it brief so that it's read. Be passionate, don't be pissy, but feel free to express why you think you're right.

5) A little to long didn't read summary of the above. Ideally the core of your feedback should be understood simply by reading the Introduction section and this one. If they feel like there's promise then they can read through the details of 2-4. But this way they can get through the feedback quicker but still understand what you're saying.

With the New Server stuff, tell us why you want or don't want a new server, what your concerns are, and what you want to see both on the new server and on Ywain. What do you want moving forward, etc. Tell us how you feel. The more ideas put out, the better the implementation of this will be.

Finally, be positive. That doesn't mean support things, it just means don't use this as a QQ-fest of negativity. Your opinion matters. If you want to post in here, feel free. If you want to just follow the link I put at the top, feel free. But make sure that you make your voice heard so that the game can be as best as it is.

Finally, if you want to just send me things privately you can send me on discord @Amurdora#6235 and I'm happy to help you out regardless of whether I agree with you or not. We want to get ideas, as many as possible from as many types of play styles as possible.
Post edited by Amurdora on
Tagged:

Comments

• edited January 2022 PM
    So I'll go first.

I've got Amurdora and now Amurr, two toons that are both very high RR and that I've put a lot of time into, especially Amurdora. The infiltrator really means an enormous amount to me, in many ways she IS my online persona. I've had every trophy you can have on alb for a very long time. I was there for a lot of things that happened in the game, and when I look through her house and vaults, from the old porting necklaces to the spellcraftable cloaks, the trophys, and the guild banners I've got, I remember the stories and experiences I have playing her.

She really means a lot to me. I know that a lot of people feel the same way about their toons.

In my opinion, what you have to decide in whether to play the new server or not is this. What is more important to you, the museum you've built that is your character(s) or the game you play. For a very long time, the museum was more important to me. I'd have rather had the game shut down than restart. But what I came to realize in playing the Savage is that rerolling isn't so bad. Those memories of my Inf are never going away. I have them in the enormous amount of SS I have of moments, of the house, of the vaults, etc. Those will always be with me regardless of whether DAoC is alive or dead.

For me, playing against people still brings real joy. That doesn't take anything away from my Inf and the experiences I had on her. Her friends list is filled with names of people that I haven't heard from in years or who have died, Nsaney, Talini, Ardezz, Rehnquist, and dozens of others. But those experiences are in the past.

The decision before each and every one of us that still play is quite simple. Do you play for the museum, or do you play for the people you play with and against? For me, I play for the people. I want bodies to game with and against. I wish I could still play my Inf and still have the days of Galahad, Devon, and early Ywain. But nothing will ever bring those days back because many of those people are gone forever.

But on my Savage I've made new friends, met and gotten to be good friends with a guy who once logged over to tell me he hoped I died of cancer after my Inf killed him for the 100th time. I've found a new way to play the game that I had never before experienced, zerging. I've had a lot of fun. What I hope the new server is is a continuation of that. Getting to hang out with all of you, whether I play with you or against you, and doing the same with new people or people I haven't played with in years.

I think the new server will be good if we help make it good. I know it will blow if we want it to blow no matter how great the new team does. So I really hope you share your ideas on how to make it good, your concerns on what you don't want it to be, what you want Ywain to be so that you can still play the toons you've put years into. Remember, DAoC isn't great because it's some magic game. It's great because we make it great with our friends, our enemies, the people we piss off because we're too strong, the people we piss off because we're too loud, the people we found out are actually pretty good guys, and everyone else we've interacted with even if only by killing once or helping to kill a mob in passing while we were passing through an area.
    Post edited by Amurdora on
  • edited January 2022 PM
    I'll "tryyyy" to be short, from my 3/4short years of playing our beloved DAoC.

This is what I've seen through the prism of "late player", activity & reward specter getting smaller through each year, rarely seen "real" new rewards, same for "no real new activity/objective".

I see many ideas about "rewards" or "activities" whether its "Realm combative" or just "Realm hobbies", we all within an everlasting "pixelwar" with no real "pixelfriendly activity" could be anything, table games, races, gambling & mini-games through NF or not..

Rewards should also never stop being added, new armors skins, new weapons skins and at the pinacle of this topic "graphical engine" but we won't go there, let's keep the "system" for focus rather than the visuals..

Rewards or cosmetic updates was fully around mythril shop (beside a certain bunny event..) and nothing to reward/give newer purpose for players to play the game in a different way for the season/year.

For example rather than removing rewards from keeps, why not swapping to different ones (example: exclusive armor/weapon skin even possibly with rank requirements) rather than just potions/currency, because all rewards we have all year long is these 3 things RP, BP & Potions, rarely new things and I'm not asking for a carrot, but for the game to have some sort of deeper refreshments, not systemics changes all the time and trying to make more perfection on what is already really greatly made.

Add fresher beauty, newer rewards, small visuals & small rewards can give us a lot of objective if its hidden behind the good gate. Not only behind a capital shop..

Keep providing newer reasons to "kill" each other or to "play with", with long duration new rewards and not only events or rp/bonuses.

We all have to always remind it's only a great game (where judgements fly high but rewards flow low).
    There will probly never ever be perfect/bugless game, but can always easily add newer sparks into our eyes & heart to wake up one day and say "I want that I'll get it fighting the reds" over again with a new ton & new will.

To end that, personally I've done many chars & enough hours to know that I probly will hardly jump on a new server if it's the same graphic engine just to be honest.

I loved that system enough to know that it could have never been perfect but could have been a little bit greater over the years with lil more sugar (fresh rewards) into it and less salt (too purely focus on NF "fights" power)

Longer than the "short" I've meant starting that "feedback" but words are goofy and I'm probly too dumb to express my real state of Ywain as complexe as it is too. But this was it, I still have a lot of fun.. But this fun is more "regarding players" than the game since I've reached my personal goal bard13...

(Out of the outside of the box.. being 2022, I would even think about a conversion rate between Platinum & Mythril too).

Now I've mezzed myself, but introspected enough playing too many games.

I hope I don't sound too negative, cuz it's a lot critics but honesty first

Much love to you'all, Broadsword & Players. <3

PS: I have to dedicate that chunk of text to Jedie, my first fan as an author. A toi mon Jedie, pour toujours! :D

Post edited by NorrHainergy on
    DAoC French Juicer
    The Ultimette Baguette
  • well I played many years on Hibs, took me ages to get all what I have there, and I still miss playing there, despite I decided to move on Mids when I came back after almost 8 years of break. I ve so many good memories on hibs and yes a strong museum too.

I thought that maybe I would be more helpfull on Mids, considering Hibs were so strong at Euro bg time and myself a bit too old to play US bg time and work at same time lol .
    It wasn't an easy choice to make, starting all over from scratch takes a lot of time, even if things are faster now a day than it used to be when I made all of my Hibs.
    But if there are no enemies, what is the point to play ? That's why I will never understand people stacking so much on one realm at some time, but well some just want easy win.
    So I made a toon, another, and so on, I made all I needed to start to farm money, to be able to craft all, to be able to help my guild and my friends. Took me a good amount of hours, for sure, though I would say 100 times less than it took at that time when I made my hibs. Yes all is lots faster to make now a day, but still requires lots of work and lots of hours to become self sufficient.
    I like to help others, but I always have hard time to ask for help from someone else, I hate to bother anyone.

so now considering a new server, my first thought is why ?
    why make something which isn't new indeed, which will just lower the population drastically and maybe kill the current Ywain server ?
    why instead of fixing the issues on Ywain, BS decide to work on a new server ?
    why instead of bringing new content on Ywain, BS decide to work on a new server ?
    why instead of bringing the communities good tools so that people and new people mostly, find answer to their questions ? find help with building a template ? find help with questing, dungeons and so on ? because most of the fans site are down now after so many years, and nothing significent has been made so far by BS to bring something to replace the tools we used to have before. They made a little, but it is far to be enough, to help enough.

why should we start again all over ? why should we again spend lots of hours to level crafts, to farm items, to make money ?
    BS say they care for the core of the community which has been playing this game for so many years, and as a result to thank them, they want to create a new server which will most likely ruins all what these players have been building for years ? is that really the way to thank them ?

why not work on the game itself as it is, fix bugs, create anti cheat controls to ban definately those who are using cheats ? so much could be done to make this game great again, but I don't see in that new server something which will be going in that direction at all.

people who don't want to play on Ywain and want that kind of server usually go on freeshards, so unless this server is free for all, without limitation for free account like there are on the actual Ywain server, they won't come back and play there

I don't doubt that some people may be interested by that, but I ve seen many people also who were disappointed by trying other servers, and my fear is that by spliting the population between Ywain and this new server, then after a time, many people will leave because many are not interested in starting all over again from scratch, and if the action becomes boring on Ywain, they will just stop to play

I stoped once to play due to personnal issues, I thought I would stop a year or maybe 2, and as a result it ended to be almost 8 years, because when you stop, it is hard to come back, so if we start losing people, don't think that they will easy come back

we have a good vision of what could this server make, each time there is a caledonia event, each time the frontier population drops drastically to become very empty and kills the fun
    but caledonia is a one week event, so after one week, we all hope people come back to play in frontiers

this server won't be a one week event, people won't come back or if they do, they will find something almost dead and they will leave definately

I don't think I will try this server, many people I've been talking to are feeling the same, even if the server would give free items, free level, free craft, free everything, I doubt I would try it because my toons hibs or mids are on Ywain, they are the result of many hours of playing, and I enjoy playing them,

so frankly why should I restart all over again on this game and not simply go and play other games, at least with other games I would just have everything new, not something I already knew and played and redo again, something which won't be better and full of bugs for sure, something which won't bring more balance between realms, come on, we all know that grass is always greener elsewhere but as a result, life teach us that most of the time, it s a lie

Instead of splitting the population between different servers, BS should work on a way to make the current server more fun to play

this announcement really is scaring me, I see it as the end of the game and not at all a new start

I know this sound very negative, but this is what this announcement makes me feel

I hope I'm wrong

JeeP aka ImWIm
  • JeeP_ImWIm wrote: »
    this announcement really is scaring me, I see it as the end of the game and not at all a new start

I know this sound very negative, but this is what this announcement makes me feel

I hope I'm wrong

JeeP aka ImWIm

You probably sum up some long time player's thoughts here. (problem)

Potential Solution: New server should bring much life to the game. In past discussions the team has floated the idea of having a limited duration server (what that means is unclear, 4 months?) and then pulling those toons to Ywain. So flow diagram:

New server (4mo)->all toons (most r10-11 if played more than casually) -> ywain. -> ywain action improved with new blood/more action-> different server.

Issues and possible resolutions: Off balanced realm fighting. Possible solution: allow transferring to ywain at any point. This may help the realms police themselves, and if people become bored with the new server it would allow them to continue on, revitalizing those who remained on ywain.

Issues and possible resolutions: Caledonia populations have not made the transfer to ywain to increase population/continue fighting. If the server is longer duration and not quite so heavily weighted on RP's, people will not be playing 12-18 hours a day, and exhausted after a week of caledonia. Some sort of guild event/transfer thing may help bring people over as well.
  • edited January 2022 PM
    We need more information to be able to provide *helpful* feedback. Broadsword has some BIG decisions to make in a short amount of time. They need to let us know *where* they are in this process of creating a new server. What have they already decided? What worries them? What are they unsure about? What are they capable of? What is beyond their capabilities?

Any feedback we give at *this* point will be mostly noise. We need devs and players to be on the same page. Have they given us vague information because they want the new server to be a surprise, or is it because they have not yet decided on the basics?
    Post edited by audizmann on
  • The simple truth is that a clean slate is what brings the most players back to DAoC. Caledonia event is one example. Every private server released in the past 8 years is another. Both are recurring. Ywain lacks bodies, as Amur pointed out. The best way to get bodies is to introduce a clean slate coupled (ideally) with advertising. I envision any new server that Broadsword releases to be temporary (aka seasonal) where players have the ability to transfer their characters over to Ywain, permanently. The ideal length of said server will have to be determined iteratively. There is evidence that ~6 months after release is the timeframe when players lose interest, specifically a classic era focused setting. Whether this would apply to a progression server (i.e. one that introduces newer content overtime) or a server with more expansion content on release remains to be determined. I am ultimately not worried for Ywain if the new server that releases is temporary or even seasonal as it has been enduring the recurring release of private servers for nearly a decade now. The players to capture here are those who chase the new shiny, not those who believe anything ToA+ is the bane of existence.
  • to little to late
  • Ive been playing the game since release, off and on of course! But DAoC is not a game that leaves your heart ever in my opinion.. you always think about it when youre off playing other games.. and for me, it was always, man I wish DAoC would just do a massive update on graphics, its 2022 and were running with what 2007 graphics?? (i just guessed here)

Graphics need attention, character creation needs attention, new classes, races would be amazing!
    How about new Realm rank abilities for more customization on your character? New weapons and armor skins as previously states!

Visuals go a long way, just as fixing bugs, balancing the game does.

Maybe do quests that bring us old school players back to the borrows and all those places like sals plains where you gotta kill those effing chickens, for sick rewards..

Or make RvR more intense.. add blood, new sound effects! give us some sick storms, put waves behind the boats^^ or make boats something you can drive yourself.. with your guild banners (see Valheim for sick boat advice)

All im trying to say is the game seems exactly the same as it did years and years ago.. minus things BP gear thats easy and fast to get, you took away earning your gear with dungeons and just made it lazy.

My Personal opinion, a new server would be fun, everyone starts at level zero, you level up the old school way, maybe more fun than just farming mobs all day.. but make people work for it..

but on the flip side. you will get people qutting that asap since they can just go do the same thing on New world, which is much more graphically appealing, and the combat is fun.. and you will kill Ywain servers more than they already are..

I think a new server is a cool idea for a minute, but the death of DAoC

Focus on making Daoc... Daoc 2
  • The period I found most enjoyable in DAoC history was just before Trials of Atlantis was launched. The thing I disliked with Trials of Atlantis was:

The introduction of increased stats:

26 Stat Cap Increase
    25% Power Pool
    50+50 Armor Factor
    10% Archery/Casting/Melee Combat Speed
    10% Archery/Melee/Spell Damage
    10% Archery/Spell Range
    25% Duration of Spells
    25 Fatigue
    25% Healing Effectiviness
    10% Spell Piercing
    25% Stat Buff Effectivness
    25% Stat Debuff Effectiviness
    10% Style Damage

The introduction of Artifacts

The introduction of Master Abilities

The introduction of new races

The stat increases made items from areas that existed before ToA obsolete, until those area´s loot tables where revamped to be competitive again.

Some of the artifacts (together with ML10 drops) became must have items to be competitive which led to crafted equipment being less and less sought after over time and also, in my opinion, made the battles in the frontiers less diverse.

Master Abilities made the counterparts of each realms classes more similar due to sharing more abilities.

The ToA races introduced new race-class combinations that was a bit over the top (thinking och Frostalf-Healer and Half-Ogre-Mercenary in particular).

I would like to see a sort of progression server, starting on classic + SI + Housing, where the above elements are kept out when the ToA patch is introduced.

For the Catacombs patch I would like to see, the applicable of, the above mentioned elements kept out and also not introducing the Catacomb classes

For the Darkness Rising patch I would like to see, the applicable of, the above mentioned elements kept out and also not introducing Champion Levels.

For the Labyrinth of the Minotaur patch I would like to see, the applicable of, the above mentioned elements kept out and also not introducing new race, class or Mythirians.

I would also like to see the leveling speed longer than it is today but slightly faster than it was in Shrouded Isles. To avoid power leveling just put a cap on the maximum amount of xp a charachter at a certain level can get or make the highest level character in the groups % gain in xp towards next level be mirrored to all characters, 5 or more levels lower, in the same group.

The Realm Point earning speed back to what it was during Shrouded Isles (normally less than 1000 for a solo kill), small reward for successfully assaulting/defending a keep, no reward for any PvE encounters or from quests.

The frontiers should be remade perhaps keep hib and mid old frontiers and use a new frontiers part for the alb frontiers, the mile gates needs an overlook in old frontiers zones though. The NF keeps with towers could be used as relic keeps and harder to breach than the normal keeps. Grren Knight, Glacier Giant and Evern drops thropy´s for all three realms. I thought it was very fun to roam over the frontier, both as a solo or in a group, intercepting enemy forces running to their destination, the porting abilities in the frontier should be removed in my opinion. I don’t like the possibilty to run over Agramon to whichever frontier I want I prefer the portal keep system from old.

Owning another realms relic should grant you -5% instead of +10%, but losing your own realms relic should punish you with 5%.

The Bounty Points earned could become a source of purchasing respec stones and patterns to change aestethics of your equipment.

If there is need to have an alternative currency keep it to one + darkness falls seals.

I believe that introducing the later patches without including the above mentioned elements would lead to a more diverse environment in RvR battles, some of the master abilities could be introduced as Realm Abilities giving more choice to each player on what to use their hard earned Realm Points for increasing diversity.

The mythirian slot can be kept for a specific mythirian awarded when Master Level 1 is completed (choice of Master Level line is made by the player), when master Level 2 is completed the mythirian increases in level and so on up till level 10. This mythirian is only usuable in pure PvE zones and would avoid the problem on having to scale down the strength of PvE enemies introduced in later patches The mythirian includes:

Level 1:
    all stats, ToA stats + applicable PvE usuable Master Ability

Level 2:

Level 3:

Level 4:

Level 5:

Level 6:

Level 7:

Level 8:

Level 9:

Level 10:

At level 10 the mythirian will grant the user full stat increases and all PvE usuable Master Abilities in the chosen Master Ability line (and as mentioned above it should only be usuable in pure PvE zones)

With this system you don’t have to be ML10 to be competitive in the frontiers and you only need to be ML10 to do end game PvE, all items is tradeable apart from the mythirian and maybe some special quest items (but then the quests should be redoable by turning in the quest reward to the NPC that awarded you with it to avoid certain items to be worn down and never obtainable again).

The suggestions above, apart from some of the thoughts on the frontiers, would require BS to remake the loot tables and bring them back to Shrouded Isles standard, hopefully they have back up for all the loot tables that was active back in 2002 and only have to remake the later expansions loot tables (with the 2002 one as a reference template).

Some balancing would be nice, for example I remember the Shadowblades being weaker than Infiltrators and Nightshades (NS was my solo class), maybe remove the 5 second stun from Diamondback and the 9 second stun from Dragonfang and put a 7 second stun on a second in chain after evade style in Critical Strike line, and perhaps give mid a weapon called swift axe (could be an axe weapon using axe styles) which is 50% str 50%dex based. Other balancing is most probably needed but the Shadowblade is the one I remember most clearly.
  • Another thing that I believe would be great is if it would be possible to have all calculations made on the server and the server sends these calculations to the client, this would make it harder to manipulate what happens in game in regards to speed hacks, radar, etc.

The amount of programming needed is probably qiute high though.
  • edited February 2022 PM
    And also, no weapons that resist debuff their own damage type. It might be needed in todays DAoC due to hit point pools of characters being higher but I don't like that idea in a pre ToA setting in regards to available amount of hit points different chracters can have. I am not against melee weapons that does body, cold, heat, energy, matter or spirit damage, but they should not debuff the resist against that damage the target has in my opinion.
    Post edited by Jorma on
  • Amurdora wrote: »
    So I'll go first.

I've got Amurdora and now Amurr, two toons that are both very high RR and that I've put a lot of time into, especially Amurdora. The infiltrator really means an enormous amount to me, in many ways she IS my online persona. I've had every trophy you can have on alb for a very long time. I was there for a lot of things that happened in the game, and when I look through her house and vaults, from the old porting necklaces to the spellcraftable cloaks, the trophys, and the guild banners I've got, I remember the stories and experiences I have playing her.

She really means a lot to me. I know that a lot of people feel the same way about their toons.

In my opinion, what you have to decide in whether to play the new server or not is this. What is more important to you, the museum you've built that is your character(s) or the game you play. For a very long time, the museum was more important to me. I'd have rather had the game shut down than restart. But what I came to realize in playing the Savage is that rerolling isn't so bad. Those memories of my Inf are never going away. I have them in the enormous amount of SS I have of moments, of the house, of the vaults, etc. Those will always be with me regardless of whether DAoC is alive or dead.

For me, playing against people still brings real joy. That doesn't take anything away from my Inf and the experiences I had on her. Her friends list is filled with names of people that I haven't heard from in years or who have died, Nsaney, Talini, Ardezz, Rehnquist, and dozens of others. But those experiences are in the past.

The decision before each and every one of us that still play is quite simple. Do you play for the museum, or do you play for the people you play with and against? For me, I play for the people. I want bodies to game with and against. I wish I could still play my Inf and still have the days of Galahad, Devon, and early Ywain. But nothing will ever bring those days back because many of those people are gone forever.

But on my Savage I've made new friends, met and gotten to be good friends with a guy who once logged over to tell me he hoped I died of cancer after my Inf killed him for the 100th time. I've found a new way to play the game that I had never before experienced, zerging. I've had a lot of fun. What I hope the new server is is a continuation of that. Getting to hang out with all of you, whether I play with you or against you, and doing the same with new people or people I haven't played with in years.

I think the new server will be good if we help make it good. I know it will blow if we want it to blow no matter how great the new team does. So I really hope you share your ideas on how to make it good, your concerns on what you don't want it to be, what you want Ywain to be so that you can still play the toons you've put years into. Remember, DAoC isn't great because it's some magic game. It's great because we make it great with our friends, our enemies, the people we piss off because we're too strong, the people we piss off because we're too loud, the people we found out are actually pretty good guys, and everyone else we've interacted with even if only by killing once or helping to kill a mob in passing while we were passing through an area.

We can't forget the titles we also accomplished;) Not to mention all the pets/vanity items;) ( still need mah vault kkthx;) <3) To me, it's a bit of everything;) The people we've met and play with, items we've collected, the titles, vanity items etc;) It took me a long time to get to 14;) (Also, an incredible amount of great friends that never gave up, knew my worth, and helped me get there;) <3 ty all;) ) (There were times i couldn't play=/ In and out of hospitals, multiple surgeries,ER/Hospital stays, sigh) and most of my time playing, was thru pain=/ but i pulled thru;) always;) So ye, new server would mean , starting over=/ To be honest, i don't think i want to=/ But if we have to, will we be able to transfer our toon and keep our names? ( Most already know there have been players that go around impersonating others) But it's the years of dedication, that we'd be leavin behind=/ And ye, my Friar also means alot to me;) ( as does my Shammy Babydoll, and my warden soon to be 12, Babys;)

<3Baby;)
    Baby-Friar
    Babe-Reaver
    Babys-Warden
    Babydoll-Shaman
  • Baby wrote: »
    Amurdora wrote: »
    So I'll go first.

We can't forget the titles we also accomplished;) Not to mention all the pets/vanity items;) ( still need mah vault kkthx;) <3) To me, it's a bit of everything;) The people we've met and play with, items we've collected, the titles, vanity items etc;) It took me a long time to get to 14;) (Also, an incredible amount of great friends that never gave up, knew my worth, and helped me get there;) <3 ty all;) ) (There were times i couldn't play=/ In and out of hospitals, multiple surgeries,ER/Hospital stays, sigh) and most of my time playing, was thru pain=/ but i pulled thru;) always;) So ye, new server would mean , starting over=/ To be honest, i don't think i want to=/ But if we have to, will we be able to transfer our toon and keep our names? ( Most already know there have been players that go around impersonating others) But it's the years of dedication, that we'd be leavin behind=/ And ye, my Friar also means alot to me;) ( as does my Shammy Babydoll, and my warden soon to be 12, Babys;)

<3 Baby
    Starboard - RR9 Minstrel (Sold)
  • A new server only makes sense for a short period of time. The biggest problem facing the game now is that there are far too many characters playing in what amounts to god mode. Realm rank means everything and all of us know it. Few players ventured into the frontiers during certain periods because they don’t enjoy being farmed by random RR11+ tanks, IRC or yes, even my own guild Stealth Legion. The only way to fix this is to level the effectiveness of RAs and items. We can all keep our realm ranks, but the abilities need to be nerfed.
  • RR doesn't mean everything though... Does it help? Sure to a point. Skill will prevail majority of the time just like anywhere else. Fresh start, nerfing abilities won't change much because the more skilled players will still beat the same people crying it's because RR
  • A new server will be successful if the majority of the population is listened and catered to.
    I’ll keep it short
    1 a massive cut back on item abilities and uses.
    Reason so that fights are based on people’s reaction times and use of styles or spells not who has the most uses up or who has the best template
    2 Rock Paper Scissors group set ups with an allowance for overpowered toons but balanced out between the realms.
    Reason every realm should have some overpowered toons it’s fun it also balances out rvr in that the so called elite groups can be challenged with a group made up of such toons it helps not so skilled players compete.
    3 return of original new frontiers and siege.
    Reason no strategy in game today no dynamic to rvr leave agramon to the 8 mans we need mazes back and the only portable keeps to a realm should be the coastal keeps it’s a system that worked and was no need for a change.
    4 return to patch before the ruined keeps my opinion best patch of daoc after that it all went downhill
    5 a hard look at scripting is it what we want in game
    Reason gives an unfair advantage to non scripters i do not believe this is in the spirit of the game one of the reasons the bird was successful was anyone who played there could compete with out a massive investment in setting up scripts and hacks we need that spirit on live.
    6 The csrs in game need to seriously crack down on cheating exploits and radar and be seen to do it and cater for the larger community not just a minority or who shouts loudest.
    Reason many people left because of cheating and csrs not taking them serious or feeling that the community support was bias in one way or another csrs need to be someone all of the community can trust and feel they are rooting for them as well .
    That’s about it from me hopefully there are some ideas there that can be developed.
  • @Brut scripting is one of the main reasons I end up not coming back when I get the urge. I don't want to play a game where you need 3rd party support just to compete. It is dumb.

For me here are some things I would love to see. Keep in mind I did start playing ESO again recently, so I am stealing some ideas from there.

1) Remove levels from mobs. Make them all scale off the player. So many of these amazing zones are a waste because once you level out of an area you never need to go back there again.
    2) Too many damn abilities. I remember the days of playing my Minstrel. I don't want to have to fumble around with countless qbinds, Naga mouse, etc.
    3) Make PVE more enjoyable and able to be done solo or small groups for end game items
    4) I am fine with TOA the zone. In fact I think it is one of the coolest zones in the game. However ML abilities should be completely removed. This goes back to my 2nd point about too many damn abilities.
    Starboard - RR9 Minstrel (Sold)
  • RR doesn't mean everything though... Does it help? Sure to a point. Skill will prevail majority of the time just like anywhere else. Fresh start, nerfing abilities won't change much because the more skilled players will still beat the same people crying it's because RR

Bingo.

And they will be RR10-RR11 in a month or 2 anyway.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
    So ye, new server would mean , starting over=/ To be honest, i don't think i want to=/ But if we have to, will we be able to transfer our toon and keep our names? ( Most already know there have been players that go around impersonating others)

Excellent point Baby.

As soon as the server opens, I bet you'll have all these clowns, stealing everyones names. Making lvl 1s and not even logging them in, just so other people can't have them, or worse, trying to sell them to people.

• DaRedANT wrote: »
    Baby wrote: »
    So ye, new server would mean , starting over=/ To be honest, i don't think i want to=/ But if we have to, will we be able to transfer our toon and keep our names? ( Most already know there have been players that go around impersonating others)

Excellent point Baby.

As soon as the server opens, I bet you'll have all these clowns, stealing everyones names. Making lvl 1s and not even logging them in, just so other people can't have them, or worse, trying to sell them to people.

Depends on whether the server is permanent or temporary coupled with character transfers to Ywain. Either way, I don't think this is as much of an issue as you may think it is.

• puter wrote: »
    DaRedANT wrote: »

Excellent point Baby.

Depends on whether the server is permanent or temporary coupled with character transfers to Ywain. Either way, I don't think this is as much of an issue as you may think it is.

It is a big issue NOW, as people continue to make "baby" toons all to "make a name" for themselves, using MY name, and some impersonating me while doing so=/ Why I always let people know, not EVERY baby toon is mine;) Even when people go to these "freeshard" servers. I've had multiple ( and still have alot of players) impersonating ME, along with other players that have also been impersonated;) I've been loyal to Live DAoC and never EVER gone to any freeshards, i don't support anything illegal. I've had people claim to be ME, when they play their "baby" toons too, both on live and freeshards=/ As DaRedANT stated, most ppl will do just that, make the name so the actual players who have had their name for years, can't have them or try to sell the name, or play it and impersonate the player=/
    <3Baby;)
    Baby-Friar
    Babe-Reaver
    Babys-Warden
    Babydoll-Shaman
    puter wrote: »

Excellent point Baby.

Right, that is a good point. At least they won't be able to transfer back to Ywain with the name.

But hey while we are on this topic. What about Guild names? Grab 7 friends and log-in Day 1, and make 8 Guilds, that are the same as current Guilds on Ywain.

Maybe they should just code the new server so you can't have any player, nor guild names that already exist on Ywain. If not, I'm predicting anarchy! >:)
    Post edited by DaRedANT on
    puter wrote: »

Excellent point Baby.

It is a big issue NOW, as people continue to make "baby" toons all to "make a name" for themselves, using MY name, and some impersonating me while doing so=/ Why I always let people know, not EVERY baby toon is mine;) Even when people go to these "freeshard" servers. I've had multiple ( and still have alot of players) impersonating ME, along with other players that have also been impersonated;) I've been loyal to Live DAoC and never EVER gone to any freeshards, i don't support anything illegal. I've had people claim to be ME, when they play their "baby" toons too, both on live and freeshards=/ As DaRedANT stated, most ppl will do just that, make the name so the actual players who have had their name for years, can't have them or try to sell the name, or play it and impersonate the player=/

This happens in every single online video game. You don't own the character names you make. Yes, it sucks when people snipe names, but that should not be a deterrent to releasing another server.
    We're aware of the name/guild point you've brought up and have been discussing it internally, nothing concrete on it yet in any direction but it is something we're discussing.
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Hi there. I am new on the forums and I'm not really up on the current state of the game by any means. The last time I played live was quite a few years ago, although I did start at launch and played for about 10 years. I haven't really played at all since Broadsword took over so I am not aware of the 'issues' that should be addressed in the upcoming new server.

I WILL say though, that I know the announcement of a new server got me interested in the game again. I have several friends that are also wanting to try the game out again when it launches. I feel like that's the most important thing for DaoC at this point - getting new and returning players to play the game. Most private servers have higher populations than live, and I would love the see the official game receive new life.

Personally, I would love to see the new server launch on Steam as well. With proper marketing and advertisement, I think the game could come back to life.
  • We're aware of the name/guild point you've brought up and have been discussing it internally, nothing concrete on it yet in any direction but it is something we're discussing.

Thanks Carol, you guys rock.
  • LffLff
    edited February 2022 PM

It is a big issue NOW, as people continue to make "baby" toons all to "make a name" for themselves, using MY name, and some impersonating me while doing so=/

new server rule: existing players get 24hrs advanced ability to make a level 1 character with the same name as a character they currently have on Ywain. (xp disabled). Guilds can cross server invite/promote toons.
    Post edited by Lff on
  • Assuming toons and items would transfer to Ywain upon completion, a good way to get at least some interest from die hard ywain players is to offer them something to bring back that they can't otherwise obtain. For instance:

Dragon Remains: 1) Remove Lord Agramon and replace with Xanxicar (Alb SI dragon). I can think of many a Hib and Mid mansion which would love to have those remains. Might allow for some epic battles in and around Labby also. If Labby is not going to make it to the new server, put it in POC. 2) Remove the 3 adoscolent dragons in NF and replace them with the original (shimmering/frozen, etc.) version of their main dragon. Again, unobtainable dragon remains:)

Make banners great again and keep guilds intact: Tie guilds together on these two servers, so you can still put banners on walls when transferring back, and the renown you obtain for your guild will transfer. Possibly this could be done by making it so guilds can only be formed on Ywain, but you can cross-server invite/promote if that works.

Graphics update: This is a long shot but I've seen it generating the most interest from people who haven't logged in for 1600 days+ Would it be possible to shrink pixle size/add pixles to every object to the game and update various terrain/object types (grass/trees/dirt/snow, bricks/stones/beams, etc.) The NetImmerse game engine and its modified versions have been around for 20 years, and saw a lot of upgrades through 2008 and even 2015 (Skyrim to Fallout 4). If that's too time intensive, Video cards can basically do this now with integer scaling, so would it be possible to even just run a work horse computer over the code and generate the same game environment off of integer scaling?
  • So by dark arts and other nonsense I managed to recover my forgotten dusty old account. Now, when is this new server launching ????
  • hgsz186q8rl9.jpg ...
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • If Diablo can get remastered, why not daoc ?? Dang could be epic
  • well i have played this game a long time. toa killed over 50% of the population. the pet patch killed another 30%. (THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES).

No toa in new server.
    keep the leveling as it is.
    basically run Si. game had the most pop at that time. i played merlin with 10k pop 24/7.
    as far as patch level.... 165..not so good. but better than what is now a biased game. if you look at all the patches buffs vs nerfs you would see the bias
    all classes had their roles.
    tanks dont climb.. sneaks sneaked
    catacomb chars. ok.
    playing the game where all had a role and not overlooked because caster had same ability..bad idea.
    cabby shudnt have end regen..sorcs shudnt have water breath speed 5 etc.
    no free charge. and charge toons shud be the ones who got it originally..not savages etc
    if ya want charge..use the skill points. that way it balances out no speedwarp

no new pets. pets that can perma stun/snare and cant be scared away..bad idea..
    1 char per ip address. (no buffbots) play what ya got.
    keep buff npcs..remove pots
    that way everyone has a role to play and group dynamics go back to a more diverse scenario.
    as far as the mithril items..its for looks so keep it.
    EC keep the xp the way it is. the cl etc..price ya pay for playing free.
    mounts in mainland only. no speed gems.
    df...always open with 1.65 mobs. was always a fun rvr zone
    Nf vs OF...
    nf is larger.
    get rid of alb cups hib tree mid hammer on the realm map. lessen the zerg by needing groups everywhere.
    NO free lvl 50 armor. If you want to be temped..learn to craft.
    101/101 max

no toa bonuses.
    no mls
    no cls
  • Onidakken wrote: »
    well i have played this game a long time. toa killed over 50% of the population. the pet patch killed another 30%. (THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES).

No toa in new server.
    keep the leveling as it is.
    basically run Si. game had the most pop at that time. i played merlin with 10k pop 24/7.
    as far as patch level.... 165..not so good. but better than what is now a biased game. if you look at all the patches buffs vs nerfs you would see the bias
    all classes had their roles.
    tanks dont climb.. sneaks sneaked
    catacomb chars. ok.
    playing the game where all had a role and not overlooked because caster had same ability..bad idea.
    cabby shudnt have end regen..sorcs shudnt have water breath speed 5 etc.
    no free charge. and charge toons shud be the ones who got it originally..not savages etc
    if ya want charge..use the skill points. that way it balances out no speedwarp

no new pets. pets that can perma stun/snare and cant be scared away..bad idea..
    1 char per ip address. (no buffbots) play what ya got.
    keep buff npcs..remove pots
    that way everyone has a role to play and group dynamics go back to a more diverse scenario.
    as far as the mithril items..its for looks so keep it.
    EC keep the xp the way it is. the cl etc..price ya pay for playing free.
    mounts in mainland only. no speed gems.
    df...always open with 1.65 mobs. was always a fun rvr zone
    Nf vs OF...
    nf is larger.
    get rid of alb cups hib tree mid hammer on the realm map. lessen the zerg by needing groups everywhere.
    NO free lvl 50 armor. If you want to be temped..learn to craft.
    101/101 max

no toa bonuses.
    no mls
    no cls

The quantity of just wrong information in a single post is pretty incredible.

Wow killed Daoc, not ToA. Pop peaked after ToA and this has been proven many times with actual data, not your feelings.

What class change bias, I imagine against the realm you played?

You want 1.65 but want Catacomb classes?

The pets that can chain stun you were in the game from launch (SM/theurg) and you didn't have pet fear back then.

Charge wasn't charge back in 1.65, it was just a endo buff when sprinting in combat.

Group comps were locked to 1-2 viable per realm, it was not more diverse it was the complete opposite.
  • Onidakken wrote: »
    well i have played this game a long time. toa killed over 50% of the population. the pet patch killed another 30%. (THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES).

When ToA was out, 10s of 1000s of people played DAoC. 50% reduction = say 20,000 people

When pet patch was out, about 1000 people played DAoC.... and it was about 15 years later. 30% reduction = say 300 people

Math is tricky.
  • This is very easy.
    Just remember that TOA killed the game. ( Everybody who was there know that )
    Didnt read all of Jormas Text but the first couple paragraphs hit it.

About RR means nothing..... bollocks.
    About skill prevail..... bollocks.

Keep it classic, with what ever event and additional PvE you want and DAOC is golden again.

Mahv
  • It will still die because no content. See every private server ever. Has to be seasonal to keep player interest assuming there's changes from season to season.
  • puter wrote: »
    It will still die because no content. See every private server ever. Has to be seasonal to keep player interest assuming there's changes from season to season.

For those few of us that played Asheron's Call back in the day, we all recall well how much fun updated events are.

But what I think should be considered, are GM led events that explore the mythology of the three realms. This might include God events, such as Thor deciding he wishes to lead Midgard against Hibernia's Lugh - where players on both sides join in a mass military effort, where notable NPCs/lore characters are played by Broadsword staff.

Also, when a castle is taken in a classic setting, this should as well spawn more than localized guards, but guard patrols. This should as well lead up to a large NPC force that itself moves as an army (sadly, live players move as zergs due to lack of focus or just disorganization). Now, raising a battlegroup to challenge an NPC army in an open field would be amazing and should offer unique rewards for those who wish to support either side (based on realm of course).

As Puter stated, keeping the game fresh with consistent politically and or mythologically driven events would be amazing. Imagine post Arthurian Albion, clearly a middle dark ages Christian culture, going on a realm quest to rid the world of heathens.

This game has always had so much potential, and unfortunately it layered a more inactive expansion Trials of Atlantis, instead of taking a deep dive on what it already had: gods, competing mythologies, potential RvR events as well as live PvE events.

I get this all translates to staff an, money, and time. But these are my 2 cents.