Realm Timers QOL changes

Hey @John_Broadsword,

Since apparently realm timers are actually here to stay can you please include some very basic quality of life features for the few players on ywain?

Please can you include a /timer command to let us know how long is on our realm timers, down to the second?

And in addition can you please investigate why it lasts 15 minutes for some and 18 minutes for others (even when they are in the same grp, same zone, and log at the same time). This is not a bug just I, or my group mates experience, but everyone in dark age of camelot. I realize I may be the only one bringing up this bug after all this time with realm timers but that does not mean it is unique to me or my group (very similar to the game-breaking "you cannot see your target bug" that is still in the game after years).

I honestly don't ask for much and expect even less, but this is rather infuriating and unacceptable at this point from a paying customer's perspective. I realize showing frustration isn't conducive for changes to happen but I have tried everything else and I think letting you know you have very angry customer's on your hands is helpful, if you didn't already know.

Also /timer is not controversial, it would benefit all players. also making sure the feature is consistent with the intended 15 minutes is not controversial but expected behavior and a promise to the users of this feature that play this server.

There are sooooo many more things I would like to see implemented like being able to still play the game on another realm but not allowed in NF if have a realm timer, so you could craft etc etc but that is waaaaay too much to ask me thinks with what is realistic for Ywain.
Tagged:

Comments

• Second this ^
  • Definitely would love a /timer at the very least. I can't confirm the longer than 15 minutes since I don't time my swaps accurately enough.
  • 100% second this idea. Doesnt even need to be a separate command but can even be an additional line of text to the /stats command. In addition to like Xuu mentions, standarizing the timer to 15 min as of right now it has variances and randomly ranges from 15 to 20 mins.
  • i second this. i constantly am waiting more then 15 minutes as well.
  • Yassss, get it done BS
  • When we run duo and log we often have different timers too even tho we made the last rps together at the same moment. Very annoying.
    /timer command would be great!
  • i would love to have /timer command

+1
  • I don't agree, fk @xuu ;)
  • Yes please to this.
  • Yeah LFF cheeks and no realm timer and macro rvr 2021 and more events.
  • KatKat
    edited May 2021 PM
    A /timer would be a win/win for everyone. Obviously a good thing for players, but it would be good for BS as well. It would be good for BS to know if their 15 minute timer is not being consistent.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Please see this question/note on today's Grab Bag:
    Does the 15minute realm timer start when you earn rps, or does someone else earning rps off of you start it over as well? for example ill get a kill and earn rps, then 5 minutes later ill die to a grp and log. it seems as if i cant switch realms until 15 minutes after my death, not last time i actually earned rps.

The intention behind the realm switch timer is to prevent swapping realms earlier than 15 minutes after participating in RvR. We do this by tracking whether or not your character (or group) earned realm points. Once your character (or group) has earned realm points, the realm timer gets reset to 15 minutes. If you run around and do not get additional RPs for >15 minutes and log out, you should be able to freely swap realms.

RvR deaths do not trigger the realm timer.

We will look into adding a command or countdown to better illustrate when your character can swap to a new realm.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Would it be possible to, instead of not allowing people to log into a different realm, allow them to switch but not earn RP/BP until the timer is up?
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Leave the timers, actually they should increase it to 30mins on a sub’d account.
  • Corey117 wrote: »
    Leave the timers, actually they should increase it to 30mins on a sub’d account.

Waiting for a timer or logging because action is **** on the realm you play isn't fun.
  • A well thought out, well written, reasonable request?

This is not the DAOC way.

Need to yell nonsensically, and threaten to quit. Everyone knows this. Please try again.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Please see this question/note on today's Grab Bag:
    Does the 15minute realm timer start when you earn rps, or does someone else earning rps off of you start it over as well? for example ill get a kill and earn rps, then 5 minutes later ill die to a grp and log. it seems as if i cant switch realms until 15 minutes after my death, not last time i actually earned rps.

The intention behind the realm switch timer is to prevent swapping realms earlier than 15 minutes after participating in RvR. We do this by tracking whether or not your character (or group) earned realm points. Once your character (or group) has earned realm points, the realm timer gets reset to 15 minutes. If you run around and do not get additional RPs for >15 minutes and log out, you should be able to freely swap realms.

RvR deaths do not trigger the realm timer.

We will look into adding a command or countdown to better illustrate when your character can swap to a new realm.

been a month since this. wanted to circle back if any progress has been made
  • Been another month with patches and we still don’t know when our timer is up as paying users. And I had two group mates with a 20 minute timer yesterday..
  • If/when we are changing anything with the realm timers in any form (note if) it would be a code change which means a patch, not hotfix, and downtime. That's not what these recent notes were.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • omg someone had to wait 20 minutes instead of 15...this is really a hard time that you are having.

Especially the new patch...uninterruptable cast on the roof. Im sure you hate it. You must hate it, in fact.
  • @Kroko salty much?
  • Hello, wanted to check in on this. We recently had server downtime with a patch and a command to check the realm timer was not implemented.
  • edited October 2021 PM
    Former paying customer of 3 accounts (4 years ago 7 accounts) i totally support @xuu
    And since this bug has been brought up long before May... Even if it has passed under the radar, as soo much other things, its today 5 mounth ago it was acknowledge.
    5 mounth to code a patch for a timing issue ?
    Hell, the entire world was faster to respond to the Y2K bug
    [not needed]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • edited October 2021 PM

We understand the reasoning for this change request (not bug), which is why we said we would look into adding something, but did not say it would be next patch, just that it would be a code change which would require a patch which is downtime. It's still something we are considering.

The issue (bug) with it taking longer than 15 mins is still being investigated. Every scenario we've investigated both internally and with player help has always been at the 15 minute mark to date, this includes getting/giving rps from various heals, dying, repairs, etc.
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • It was a legitiamte Q and needed
    Even if the Q did not fit your narrative....
    Auf_Nymf wrote: »
    Former paying customer of 3 accounts (4 years ago 7 accounts) i totally support @xuu
    And since this bug has been brought up long before May... Even if it has passed under the radar, as soo much other things, its today 5 mounth ago it was acknowledge.
    5 mounth to code a patch for a timing issue ?
    Hell, the entire world was faster to respond to the Y2K bug
    [note needed]

It was a legitiamte Question and needed
    Even if the Question did not fit your narrative....
  • Xuu

Playing last week on my scout. Was like 36 ppl in NF you were running 8 HIb man around ren after hero made albion green. Your group was just chasing solos/duos.

Honestly not sure letting IRC switch realm because they want keep the action going benefits the average daoc player.
  • Xuu

Playing last week on my scout. Was like 36 ppl in NF you were running 8 HIb man around ren after hero made albion green. Your group was just chasing solos/duos.

Honestly not sure letting IRC switch realm because they want keep the action going benefits the average daoc player.

I've noticed the last few times I've been on that they were running in the realms with the greater population. I don't know if it just ended up that way by chance but it would make more sense for them to stay on the lower populated realm if they want fights.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Get rid of it in general.. not enough pop for it
  • xuuxuu
    edited December 2021 PM
    Hello!!!

Last word I heard from BS was this was being c o n s i d e r e d for the paying customers of daoc.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust to back up real quick, the topic is if we (players of daoc) can see how much time is left on the realm timer feature that was implemented on ywain (this half-baked, shipped feature that does not allow the paying users to simply know how much time is left before they can *play* the game again on a different realm since earning realm points (not asking for realm timers to be eliminated (just to know how much time is left on them))).

I, and the many many others that are playing on daily basis were wondering if this was still being considered for the very many players left on ywain OR if this is not being considered since I initially brought this up in May 2021. I simply cannot tell ya how many gosh darn times i've heard "Sorry, I can't play with you right now... I made the mistake of playing the video game on a different realm and do not know when I can join you because I wasn't keeping count..." :grimacing:

Just a friendly lil check in!

I think myself, and maybe even allllllllllll of the other players that have stuck around since this May request, would be super super super duper very very mucho much interested in knowing if this minor and reasonable QOL feature is being prioritized/considered still OR if this is actually suuuuuuuuuper duper dumb and def not worth looking into any further by the dev team. We would love to know if this request by the actual players of ywain made the feature roadmap or if it is totes unreasonable and insanely out of the scope and/or the capabilities for the developers. Furthermore, if it is something that truly and actually is being considered can you share status in backlog, or level of effort or estimated time for delivery? We've been waiting patiently since May for this shiny new feature (or hotifx??) so don't mind waiting longer! Would just luv to know <3

Thank you so much for all your time and consideration and hoping to hear back!!! :-)
    Post edited by xuu on
  • Ooops I forgot to tag the lead producer and ninja magic man himself @John_Broadsword ! <3
  • Wouldn’t even be needed if the timer was actually 15 minutes and not sometimes 17 sometimes 19 sometimes 20 . But yea. Would be a nice feature.
  • Xuu

:# :# :# :# :#