bizarre game play, bug? casting not responsive...

edited April 2021 in General Board
So..maybe its just how old this game is, maybe its a bug that just needs to be fixed.

Here is what I mean.

I start casting on a mob, maybe its a root, cast dd, root break, close, cast dd, now mob and I are now toe to toe.

so I try to cast again, maybe a root, maybe another dd, however when I try to cast before a mob swing I get interrupted. OK I buy that. makes sense in this case mob interrupted me.

However I'll wait till after the mob swings "Swoosh" (timing my cast) then try to cast and NOTHING. its like my keyboard is disabled. if I spam the button them maybe it will cast after a hit or two from the mob.

I've tried this with /noqueue off and on, no difference really.

just seems wacked...and random.

Post edited by ragsandrocks on

Comments

• So you're getting meleed and try casting but get interrupted? I don't see the issue
  • edited April 2021 PM
    @ragsandrocks yup, this is daoc and its interrupt system. Can't cast when something smacks you.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • sprint away-- face--root then get more distance
  • edited April 2021 PM
    So you're getting meleed and try casting but get interrupted? I don't see the issue

what I'm saying is this use case
    1. I wait for mob to swing
    2. PVE mob SWINGS (hits or misses)
    3. I then cast and nothing happens. no animation, nadda
    4. I click the button.. nothing, my chararter doesn't cast.
    5. repeat to step 1, eventually I can cast if I mash the button.

If it helps this is a shaman class.

I'm not being interrupted the MOB is BETWEEN swings, I should be able to cast. I'm not stunned, I'm not snared. just nothing happens. I see this alot. Note my internet service is SOLID. it could be server lag I suppose..

• There is an interrupt timer that prevents you to cast in between swings. That's just how daoc works.
  • The interrupt timer is about 2-3 seconds depending on latency. If you try casting again during this time, your character won't do anything.
  • It’s lag. I’ve seen it numerous times in PvE, without being interrupted.

Very annoying to spam cast, and nothing happens.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • He's being interrupted, he stated that. There's a timer (previously stated). This isn't WoW where you can mash casts and expect to get them off while being swung on
  • He's being interrupted, he stated that. There's a timer (previously stated). This isn't WoW where you can mash casts and expect to get them off while being swung on

I don’t care what he said. That detail is irrelevant. The bugs happens without being interrupted.

• edited April 2021 PM
    Why did you answer the OP's question with an irrelevant comment then? You'll just confuse him thinking that what he describes is related to some sort of bug while it is 100% due to daoc's combat interrupt system
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Shoke wrote: »
    Why did you answer the OP's question with an irrelevant comment then? You'll just confuse him thinking that what he describes is related to some sort of bug while it is 100% due to daoc's combat interrupt system

The combat system he didn't understand I get that, but my comment is not irrelevANT. It describes what the REAL issue is. This happens over and over again on this board, as well as in discord. People need to properly research bugs before reporting them.
  • edited April 2021 PM
    I do think its a combination of LAG and possibly game play mechanics that are a bit bizarre. I did notice Lag going on, however with that said I do see the behavior not as bad when lag isn't so bad.

so with no LAG present if I read correctly its something like this

1 Wait for mob to swing
    2 - Mob swings
    3 - wait for some odd time because I was being (quoting fingers here) "Interrupted" even though I am just standing there doing nothing and waiting, go on to step 4
    4 - Try to cast and hope it casts...
    5 - go to 1 and repeat.

Thanks for the replies, I get it now.

• Maybe think of interrupted as being temporarily disqualified from being able to cast due to your avatar being hit by an enemy or mob.
  • I've seen this in PvE with insta spells to so it could be some type of issue other than just being interrupted.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus