Teleport Obelisk Event, Merchants, and RvR Bonuses

Fresh off the heels and feedback from the very successful Catch Up in Caledonia Event, we're excited to introduce a new temporary RvR feature on Ellan Vannin!

One of the major takeaways from the Caledonia event was the love of its fast action and the ability to quickly get back into the fight. With this new event, we hope to create a similar environment on Ellan Vannin that allows groups to quickly return to the fray!

Depending on the feedback, we may look into making this a permanent fixture on the island!

• An Ellan Vannin Obelisk now stands on the portal pad in each realm's relic town that will teleport players and their group to random open-field locations on Ellan Vannin!
    • Differing slightly from Caledonia, only members within 3500 radius of the obelisk will teleport.
  • All other existing teleports to Ellan Vannin are disabled for the event's duration:
    • Master Vaughn and his elementalists, Stor Gothi Dagny and her gothis, and Brerend and his seoltoirs are all taking a well-deserved holiday from teleporting players to their safe locations on the island.
    • Tower of Korazh, Tower of Deifrang, and Tower of Graoch one-way ports are disabled.
    • Knoc Meayll teleports to and from the keep are disabled.
  • The Tower of Korazh, Tower of Deifrang, and Tower of Graoch are now ruined for the event's duration.
  • Knoc Meayll keep can still be captured normally by the realms and still will be periodically captured by the Manx.
  • This event will run until Tuesday, March 30th, 2021.

Traveling Merchants
  • The traveling merchants have made their return and now hawk their wares outside Castle Sauvage in Albion, Svasud Faste in Midgard, and Druim Ligen in Hibernia!
  • The merchants will remain until Tuesday, March 30th, 2021.

Realm vs Realm Bonuses
On Ywain:
  • 50% bonus to RPs from kills
  • 50% bonus to normal XP gain in all classic and shrouded isle zones and dungeons.
On Gaheris:
  • 50% bonus to normal XP gain in all classic and shrouded isle zones and dungeons.
  • 50% bonus to normal RP gain in the capital cities.
In each Capital City:
  • 40% Bonus to Crafting Speed
  • 20% Bonus to Crafting Skill Gain
In all Housing Zones:
  • 20% Bonus to Crafting Speed
  • 10% Bonus to Crafting Skill Gain

Bonuses will last until Tuesday, March 30th, 2021.

Click here to visit the DAoC Herald!
Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
DAoC Community Lead
Broadsword Online Games
Tagged:

Comments

• (same as what was discussed in discord)

The EV direct porting has big potential to be a permanent feature in my opinion. However, there could be an added incentive for roaming groups to remain on EV instead of joining up the zergs.

The main idea was to add a pulsing RP bonus buff that is activated by the obelisk and that is only active on EV. When you leave EV it drops and when you re-enter EV it repops.

It would definitely encourage more groups to stay on EV if the RP bonus is good enough. The EV porting really removed the zergs from EV, which was amazing. Just need to find a way to entice groups to stay.

There could also be something to do with the EV towers. Now that they are ruined and don't provide port, I'm not sure of the benefit they provide to the zone. Is it only used by stealthers to hide there? Could there be a bonus/benefit for taking these towers?
  • edited March 2021 PM
    [removed]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • RP bonus on EV would be a bad idea.
  • Zergs on EV is a bad idea. WTB more group vs. group action.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    puter wrote: »
    Zergs on EV is a bad idea. WTB more group vs. group action.

Totally agree there, larger groups need more incentive to stay off of it besides using it as a starting point or passing through but here it just reminds me of back in the day when Jeep would be down in Laby farming his way to rr13 running in circles in that giant room with his big group and never touching actual rvr.

I'd make the rewards really good for actual rvr, remove siege towers but make trebbing a hole easier, make boats slightly faster, make this EV event permanent but disable the teleport if a relic is on the move, revert giving static tempest to classes that really don't need it, and make the home relics go in the back keeps disabling the temples entirely and keeping enemy relics out of the back keeps, and have the other keeps influence elite guard spawns at the home keeps.
    Post edited by Lurandal on
  • edited March 2021 PM
    @Lurandal what would be the classes that don't really need st? Heretic and RM (latest classes to get it)?

I can already see Muy and mids coming in here crying.

@Surfgirl the rp bonus on EV wouldn't be a static thing, it would be linked to the use of the obelisk. So to get it you need tonuse the obelisk, which by design splits zergs.

At the same time, the population is 100% driven by RPs and hitting whatever high rank milestone before the game closes, or at least it looks like it... If they add big RP bonuses to.keeps and siege, then all roaming groups disapear because you can make 200-400k RPs a night just participating in siege. It's also very good on the ego, if you lose a siege fight you can always blame it on numbers.

If they make RP bonuses on EV too good, then zergs stop doing siege and roams EV.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • this was the worst idea ever. ..makes what . zergs and 8mans 0WNING . all. kill to solo play ...really . so a bunch of brand new free stuff kids. decide the game:? .. rofl keep **** it up.. d
  • ports are random. but known in the first 4 hours. so camped.. if you dont port in with a group? you die insta. good job bs .rofl
  • Solos can still use the ruined areas and port readily between them. Not sure what the problem is tbh. Zergs should be going after other zergs and keeps. Leave the island for group play as it was with Agramon.
  • Bowatg acting like he actually solos...
  • Ellan Vannin Obelisk Updates:

The new Teleport Obelisk now offers port for solo players to the ruined areas in Hadrian's Wall/Emain Macha/Odin's Gate (along with Ellan Vannin). This is a one way port, and does not unlock any of the individual area to area ports (to port from Folley Lake to Trellebourg Fortress for example).

- An anti group camping mechanic has been added to these areas. Once in the area for 1 minute anyone in a group will start taking damage until they leave the area/region
    - Ruined area ports are now refreshable, but duration reduced from 6 hours to 2 hours.

Fix:
    - Porting to Ellan Vannin from the Ellan Vannin obelisk no longer grants PvP immunity to group members who aren't nearby at the time of the port.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Realm Versus Realm!! I don’t recall solo versus solo or 8 man versus 8 man. Oh well...
  • Uh... What?
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    Realm Versus Realm!! I don’t recall solo versus solo or 8 man versus 8 man. Oh well...

I agree Kelt this is a bloody joke !! Realm vs Realm if your out there you get rocked.. BS make a arena for soloers if this is what the 1% of the paying players want but not in open rvr.. And the island random port is terrible my 3 man zones in and we get rocked by campers :( Way to go Broadsword so now its only 8man country and a solo zones and zergs. No room for small man in your stupid grand design

• Nobody is saying you have to use the porters. Where do people see the solo zones as arenas? Do you realize they could port to them before, albeit they had to run to each one once first? I'm confused if the people complaining actually play the game
  • Nobody is saying you have to use the porters. Where do people see the solo zones as arenas? Do you realize they could port to them before, albeit they had to run to each one once first? I'm confused if the people complaining actually play the game

People that hate the new EV ports are typically stealth zergers that their main way of playing is to camp EV towers, milegates and safeports. They are probably the most affected by that change.

Kelt is a Stealth Legion guy and so is Badgor I think.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Shoke wrote: »
    Nobody is saying you have to use the porters. Where do people see the solo zones as arenas? Do you realize they could port to them before, albeit they had to run to each one once first? I'm confused if the people complaining actually play the game

People that hate the new EV ports are typically stealth zergers that their main way of playing is to camp EV towers, milegates and safeports. They are probably the most affected by that change.

Kelt is a Stealth Legion guy and so is Badgor I think.

No I havent stealthed in a long time i prefer to play visi that being said 8 mans or stealthers camping the load in spots on ev is a joke so with my small man having to run on to the island well thats just grand. I dont mind getting rolled in RVR because that is what it is REALM vs REALM not a damn solo game ...My guild is so pissed with these changes they are thinking about quitting the game. The ruined cities obelisk damage for any one that is grouped is just dumb and I mean dumb.
    Post edited by Badgor on

• edited March 2021 PM
    Nobody is saying you have to use the porters. Where do people see the solo zones as arenas? Do you realize they could port to them before, albeit they had to run to each one once first? I'm confused if the people complaining actually play the game

Um what I was saying was this if Broadsword wants a solo zone how about making a area thats not in Big boy rvr how about a battle ground only for them that makes more sense then whats happening now and punishing players that are grouped lets say in 2's or 3's going to get boxes or plants
    Post edited by Badgor on

• Solo isn't instance, that's dueling. While some people like that, it isn't really soloing. Why are you needing 2-3 to get boxes/plants? Seems like you really want to kill the soloers at those towns and using the boxes/plants as an excuse
  • Solo isn't instance, that's dueling. While some people like that, it isn't really soloing. Why are you needing 2-3 to get boxes/plants? Seems like you really want to kill the soloers at those towns and using the boxes/plants as an excuse

Um its called Realm we Realm I roam with my guildies so they dont get ganked getting boxes or plants hence realm vs realm and what do you think the do at the ruined towns they duel. I dont think you get what I'm saying so I wont try.

• edited March 2021 PM
    I understand you want to kill lesser numbers because you aren't skilled enough to take on even numbers, it's ok my friend
    Post edited by Triq02_Dave on
  • Bowatg wrote: »
    this was the worst idea ever. ..makes what . zergs and 8mans 0WNING . all. kill to solo play ...really . so a bunch of brand new free stuff kids. decide the game:? .. rofl keep **** it up.. d

All I heard is "Waaaahhhhh, I can't sit in a tower and trap the gates anymore!"
    Try to actually play the game and press more than one button.
    Just try...
  • I understand you want to kill lesser numbers because you aren't skilled enough to take on even numbers, it's ok my friend

I run in a 3 or 4 man and get rolled by 8's lmao what part of realm vs realm dont you under stand.. And the people who go to the ruined towns are duelers not soloers. Solo would be a random encounter.

• @Badgor but why is your guild pissed off?

The only effect random ev porting has is that it drastically reduces traffic around safe ports and mile gates on ev. It's not about dueling.

The only ppl really affected are zergs (they can still run through ev) and safeport/tower/milegate campers.

How does this ev event affect you smallmanning on visis?
  • Shoke wrote: »
    @Badgor but why is your guild pissed off?

The only effect random ev porting has is that it drastically reduces traffic around safe ports and mile gates on ev. It's not about dueling.

The only ppl really affected are zergs (they can still run through ev) and safeport/tower/milegate campers.

How does this ev event affect you smallmanning on visis?

Its the porting in and getting camped and today One of my guildies was just trying to get boxes and plants and got jacked out in Foyley hence why we would run out there in a duo so this doesnt happen.

• Why dont you run there as a duo?
  • I really dont understand how the porting pisses ppl off
  • lol -- i got killed by 5 ungrouped hibs in the "solo" zone ---- guess they had a contest for the db :)
  • damn i surly need to adapt lol
  • The boxes should probably be moved outside the ruined areas, perhaps near the coast or somewhere in proximity to the maze. Can even start adding OW essences at the mazes. That way small mans have a place to go.

Zergs have keeps
    Groups have EV
    Solos have ruined areas
    Small mans have mazes / coast
  • KatKat
    edited March 2021 PM
    There are like less then 20 people who solo on a regular basis. This does not affect the majority of the people playing the game. It was a nice addition. There are other options for getting plants and cl xp. There is also 3 locations, and moy was pretty empty today. If Folley is hopping, try another location. Smallmans and fgs were still running through the solo areas killing pps, they just cant camp.

Also - I saw names today in the solo area's I have never seen out and about by themselves before. This really seemed to encourage people to try a new playstyle.

Though I prefer roaming over dueling, I greatly appreciate Broadsword making this change. Solo players are kind of the red headed step children when it comes to changes.....this was a really nice surprise <3.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • @Badgor I don't see how this new mechanic is absolutely ruining the experience for some players AKA your guildies. Gathering boxes/plants/clxp has always been something that you probably shouldn't be doing during certain times a day if you expect absolutely NO ONE to kill you.

There have been times where I would legit wake up early on very off hours just to run box quests freely... Otherwise do ToA quests... There really isn't an excuse. If someone is having a bad time, switch it up there are plenty of places to run and things to do and this has ALWAYS been the case