Catch Up in Caledonia Event

2»

Comments

• Try it, then evaluate.
  • I find it quite fun granted im not lvl 10 any more but im haveing to play catch up every day but thats nit a problem. We even run as an 8man and try not to run with the zerg and we get a lot more kills plus we dint care what lvls we have in our grp. Besides you get a bonus for haveing people really low lvl in grp
  • I’m in the minority of players that didn’t enjoy the event but for me I’m pretty sure it’s because I couldn’t play a lot or get in on the right flow of action so I didnt get very far despite trying to put in the time. However I still think it’s a cool event and would love to give it another go next time and hopefully get in on all that action. As someone that didn’t enjoy the event I still don’t think the complaints about it are warranted. It’s something different, give players opportunities to try new realms/toons/setups, and shows some initiative from BS (both in trying something new finally and in how quick they were to adjust things about the event based on feedback). I miss the action in NF too but it’ll be back in a few days.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Since the event is coming to a close, I'll provide my feedback on it.

First of all, good job at making updates/changes during this event. The "low level" buffs, advancing everyone into the same zone, and removing teleports from keeps were all great changes. While not perfect, the event shaped into an enjoyable experience, at least for me. The last time I noticed this kind of response from Broadsword was back when Endless Conquest was released. I hope we see more of this for future events / patches within the year.

The event itself was too long. I understand this is the first type of event like this that Broadsword has ever done so I think it was reasonable to have it "longer than usual" to iron out the details, bugs, etc. I personally think it shouldn't last longer than a weekend: Friday, Saturday, Sunday. It may also work to do it on a longer weekend during some holidays throughout the year. Either way, I think 3-5 days is sufficiently long for this kind of event after some tweaks.

I really liked the level/rp progression caps. It helped keep players on the same playing field giving everyone a chance to compete against veteran players. This coupled with the BP equipment, up to 50, were great. The color coding for each realm was awesome. Broadsword may consider adjusting all battleground gear to follow this trend (Molvik armor sets). Regarding the first two instances (levels 1-4 and 5-9), I think these should be removed outright in future events. Considering the possibility that a future event may be shorter in duration, I think everyone should start out at level 20 or 30 depending on the event length. I personally didn't start enjoying the event until above level 30 and I absolutely hated the first two instanced areas. Too few players occupied the early instances after a couple days, health regen was out competing damage (bleed styles for the win), and virtually zero skill was required to play (auto attack and let the RNG gods decide who wins). Low level PvP is just boring.

One example is as follows taking into account a shorter event length and removal of the lower level instances.

Three day event length (RvR ruleset):
    - Day one - /level 30 with a level 40 cap (intrinsic RR cap is applied). No MLs purchasable but low level Artifacts (35 / 40) are allowed. All Artifacts purchased in the event zone are level 10. Everyone starts with Wilton battleground armor / weapons for free.
    - Day two - level 50 cap + RR5 cap. Unlock MLs, CLs (including abilities), and remaining Artifacts (45 / 50). Allow for champion weapons (CL 5) to be acquired in the event. No Bountycraft. Recipes and molds can be purchased with BPs earned during the event but no crafting is allowed (no Forge). Magic Orbs and Doppel Shards can be purchased but cannot be /used while in the event zone. Max gear is King's / Illustrious equipment to remove the "need" to make a template for the event.
    - Day three - level 50 cap (of course), no RR cap. Allow for Alchemy Ingredients and Rare Potions boxes to be purchased and /used. Consider adding Mithril merchants for omni-dyes, supremacy potions, patterns, RP/BP bonus potions, etc.
    - During all days. Everyone is in the same zone. Implement the "low level" buff and apply it to those who are five levels below the daily cap. Battleground BP equipment can be purchased including potions (water breath, end regen / heal, power regen / heal, heal regen / heal) and Speed of the Hunt. No mounts. Include a Realm Enhancement NPC but remove the gold cost for buffs (make them free). Keep the 200% bonus to RP/BP/XP/?coin? for everyone within five levels of the daily cap and add a 400% bonus to XP/BP/?coin? for players more than five levels below the cap.

Quest credit should remain deathblows only in a RvR ruleset to discourage zerging. I personally would love to see a PvP version with various group caps depending on the event (1v1, 5v5, 8v8, etc). This is really the only way to prevent zergs from forming and, more importantly, to prevent one realm from dominating the event. In a PvP ruleset, quest credit should be tied to kills earned as opposed to deathblows to incentivize more frequent fights. That way, regardless of outcome, everyone benefits. Broadsword may consider adding tasks for future events. In a RvR ruleset, include the possibility to capture the center keep (CK). It could function similar to KM where the CK resets to neutral if it isn't captured by another realm within a pre-determined time period. The portal keeps should remain barren as they were during this event. Consider adding mino-relics to each PK with unique bonuses (stealth detection, bonus RP/XP/BP/?coin?, damage buffs, resist buffs, etc). Perhaps allow for the PKs to be capturable as well but remain in a ruined state. For example, owning all PKs strengthens the CK doors / guards. Therefore, there is incentive to hold and capture the PKs for access to the CK. In a PvP ruleset, all keeps (including CK) should remain barren. Instead, there could be markers or "flags" scattered throughout the zone which, when captured or occupied, provide temporary bonuses similar to the aforementioned mino-relics. This effectively directs the action to specific points which I believe is necessary during low population times. The possibilities are endless.

While this particular event wasn't unique, Broadsword made it their own. I think they took a big step in the right direction in terms of keeping players interested in the game. I don't think it's reasonable to expect from the developers expansion-level content ever again. That can be a problem for older games as expansions revive interest periodically. Events can do the same and, with some creative freedom, can provide unique experiences that can't be acquired anywhere else. Overcoming the technical difficulties that prevented some key changes to this event are well worth the effort for future events. This is the way.

P.S. Events of this magnitude should be seasonal or quarterly to break up the monotony of NF and should include titles for participation. =)
    Post edited by puter on
  • Oh would love new titles
  • just an observation after this was over, but there was an 8man that just perma port camped everyone and because they were able to play for 9hours EU time today when people were all worth more rp, they ended at R9L5. About top RP for those who couldn't get home to play today before it ended was around R7, and R7.5 for those who also played today EU time.

Suggestion: Make R8 the cap for something like this. It would save a lot of griefing R8-9 groups coordinating in coms and killing non-set people with level 45-49 not really templated toons in group. The BP's were just fabulous though, provided people put the effort to work with their realm mates.
  • I did nkt have as much trouble with certain grps dominating the event as we would have in nf but thats probably do to none stop action. But thoses who play more will oways get ahead of everyone else nothing you can really do about it without makeing them feel penalized for playing more
  • Names wrote: »
    I did nkt have as much trouble with certain grps dominating the event as we would have in nf but thats probably do to none stop action. But thoses who play more will oways get ahead of everyone else nothing you can really do about it without makeing them feel penalized for playing more

If they capped it at RR8 they could still earn BPs, seems like it would be fine.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Lff wrote: »
    just an observation after this was over, but there was an 8man that just perma port camped everyone and because they were able to play for 9hours EU time today when people were all worth more rp, they ended at R9L5. About top RP for those who couldn't get home to play today before it ended was around R7, and R7.5 for those who also played today EU time.

Suggestion: Make R8 the cap for something like this. It would save a lot of griefing R8-9 groups coordinating in coms and killing non-set people with level 45-49 not really templated toons in group. The BP's were just fabulous though, provided people put the effort to work with their realm mates.

What would this solve, limiting the RP cap? That group you are talking about is Xuu's group. I doubt they camped anything to be honest.

How is limiting the RP will do anything to change that behavior (which is killing people in a BG)? If you can't play 9 hours per day, it's normal that you can't reach what others can do by no-lifing it for 3 days.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Shoke wrote: »
    Lff wrote: »
    just an observation after this was over, but there was an 8man that just perma port camped everyone and because they were able to play for 9hours EU time today when people were all worth more rp, they ended at R9L5. About top RP for those who couldn't get home to play today before it ended was around R7, and R7.5 for those who also played today EU time.

What would this solve, limiting the RP cap? That group you are talking about is Xuu's group. I doubt they camped anything to be honest.

How is limiting the RP will do anything to change that behavior (which is killing people in a BG)? If you can't play 9 hours per day, it's normal that you can't reach what others can do by no-lifing it for 3 days.

Not correct, the group with the most RPs was not Xuuu. I believe their highest was 9L8. They were also already RR9 by Sunday (I was in a grp with them on occasion) so the idea that they only got this high because they could play euro time is false.Their tactic was pretty much to roam between the spawn points and farm FGs while avoiding the zergs at ck/bridges.
    Post edited by Esel on