Boost dop exp back up, what the !@#!@

People like being able to get rr 5 easy so they can pvp with getting inta killed. People like camping dops, and camping dop killers, and camping people camping dop killers. Your looking at screwing the game player base if you do not boost. Watch! How many paid players you will lose, and how many less people will buy rps buff.
Tagged:

Comments

• It's the normal trend now for Broadsword to do this with the dops after an event. They nerfed dop RPs during the event because with the bonus they were too high. Now the bonus is gone but they forgot to put the value back to normal. typical oversight.

I'm more pissed that the Anniversary event ended mid-day on Nov3 and there was no official announcement or anything and I lost about 1500 fragments. I went back and looked at patch notes and it said it ends Nov3 but I didn't think they would be that stupid and end it when everyone was at work
  • Events have always ended in the afternoon, in fact this one was later than usual (5PM EST ish) as we gave a 2 hour count down ingame, which we've not done before, to give people time to get the quest finished and spend fragments.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • You got Beib'd
  • I don’t remember if value of doppels was nerfed before/during/after the event, but the fact that they pay less now since bonus is gone is a good thing, too many people use those as their exclusive rp source and in a pvp game its pretty dumb tbh. You can still use them as a way to get to r5/6 pretty quick, and then kill players for rps as it has been done for years before dopps
  • @Carol_Broadsword don't see why you couldn't have released the time-stamp in the patch notes. You realize if Broadsword did that then we wouldn't have any room at all to argue
  • Ath wrote: »
    I don’t remember if value of doppels was nerfed before/during/after the event, but the fact that they pay less now since bonus is gone is a good thing, too many people use those as their exclusive rp source and in a pvp game its pretty dumb tbh. You can still use them as a way to get to r5/6 pretty quick, and then kill players for rps as it has been done for years before dopps

I would love for Doppels to be extinct. I would be willing to give removing them a shot, but don't forget the reason they were implemented, which was because of the dwindling pop. I mean I still regularly go 50-60min without seeing a soul at certain times of day. It's just nice having SOMETHING to hit
  • KoeKoe
    edited November 2020 PM
    I'm a casual solo/small man player and the dopple/maze/solo zones are just about the only area where you can get decent fights with this playstyle.

Action is down a ton since the bonuses went out. Edit: I guess I'm speculating that you need to have dopples be worth enough to risk it for some people, to create the bottom floor for this action microcosm.
    Post edited by Koe on
  • I like doppels but certain locations like the ones at Nged close to the towers that creates an environment with players to just hug towers when they engage in combat is terrible, baffles me its been left unchanged since the doppels introduction.

The rubbles at the coast were a great success at launch, they are never touched anymore after the nerf, so either remove it all together or bring back the original bonus where you saw people roam for them.
  • The last quest with the explorers and treasure hunters was good because you had to get kills to get credit. Some other events require kill credit (ghost keep, etc) which is good. However these larger scale events tend to cater to zergs.

This explorer event did a good job, with some nice rewards on top so there was definitely some incentive to participate.

The rubbles on shore only provide BPs afaik so it's a nice way to generate action without creating a parallel way to earn RPs. However, since BPs are acquired at a very fast rate, I feel like BPs alone isn't enough of a draw to participate.

Getting some doppel maces, 50% RP potions, comp pots, the wings, etc. had much more appeal.

Some doppel locations definitely need some review. Ideally, you'd want them close to the high traffic areas. Not right in the middle of it, but slightly off the general path. We don't need players in CG, MC and these kinds of border zones. The game really needs to be focused on EV, Emain, Odin and Hadrian, with some doppels and side quests in the connecting zones.
  • Doppels creating PVP traffic, period. All area "almost" I see smalls and solo's roaming to defend people from getting ganked while doing doppels or to gank people doing doppels. The game is a PVP game, but you it has had Huge pve content in the past(TOA). Doppels give that solo or lower rank, geared duo a place to hunt while improving thier toon. They also have given they higher RR guys something to do when bored to advance their toon. With the PVP pop being under 300 consistently it is not a bad idea. "I mean I still regularly go 50-60min without seeing a soul at certain times of day. It's just nice having SOMETHING to hit"..If dops are worth 700-1000 you would know where to find something to hit=P. Games going to go back to people just dueling on bridge outside of DC, if they do not maintain another source of RP's forcing players to roam.
  • You can also kill other players.
  • Shoke wrote: »
    You can also kill other players.

Sadly, that pool continues to diminish. =(
  • Dopples are dumb. There’s better ways to create action, then to give RPs, for killing NPCs.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    Dopples are dumb. There’s better ways to create action, then to give RPs, for killing NPCs.

This is where you provide examples instead of just bashing other's suggestions.
  • Doppels are better than nothing, but I think they are a weak objective (from a design point of view). Most people are too blinded by the excessive realmpoint rewards to even begin to imagine a better objective, but if you are looking to create (or imagine) the best possible objective (whether as a developer or as a player) you should always begin by completely disregarding the reward.

Is it possible to create an objective so good that you don't even need to reward it? I don't mean to suggest that we shouldn't reward it, but if such an objective exists, surely it would be the ideal objective.

If I told you I had killed a total of 300,000 doppels (which I have not) would you consider this an admirable achievement?... No. In fact you would probably think the opposite: It's pathetic, cowardly or lame. Now, try to imagine something that would be impressive.......................

I'll give an example: Stealing enemy realm banners.
    1. These new realm banners are exposed in the open (whereever the (solo) action is).
    2. Enemies are rewarded for stopping you from stealing a banner (not just for killing you, but also for stopping you).
    3. Players must complete prerequisite quests to steal a banner (to balance how frequently you can steal a banner).

Now if I told you I had stolen 73 banners in a week - more than any other player - this might actually be viewed in a more positive light (even if for no reward, or perhaps especially because there was no reward). It might add some sense of accomplishment to counter the discouragement of the 389 times I was ganked by stealthers/groups this week.

Basically, you need two things for the ideal objective:
    1. Infrastructure. An area with random traffic (generated by objectives) with plenty of cover and no hard chokepoints.
    2. A fun encounter that also makes for an interesting statistic (like "banners stolen").

(If you want to see an example of No. 1 (infrastructure) click my username and check out the thread I made called "how to make solo action thrive")
  • Already seeing more "solo" people dueling at boxes /cough rps farming(Due to less roaming solo,smalls). Ganking any low rr trying to boxes than crying when a group or to comes in to clean them out. Making a solo area that gives ZERO rps, for those people flexing, or just wanted to see how they would do in 1v1 would be cool. If this solo/dueling thing is ok, can i solo duel my buddy for 8 hours =P
  • nm must be ok dunhusky has been doing it for of and on for 12 hours today =P
  • anytime they cater to zergs it feels like the game slowly kills itself
  • I think people forget... Just remember about 5 years ago (when I started playing in NF), 20-30k/hour was the norm for RPs solo if you were good, and if I ran with a group and did really well I could expect 30-60k/hour tops. But that was when population was really nice, before all the bullsh*t patches. I also remember seeing some IRC stats making 60-100k/hour, but god damn even with the Anniversary bonuses gone I still make 25-50k/hour soloing and 40-70k/hour if action is good.

Just remember Broadsword gave us all these bonuses and doppels as an apology for killing the game and now you just might be a little spoiled when they nerf the value down a little bit, but it's still higher than what it was when game was in a good place y'all just don't remember
  • History
    -radar
    -Mythic mass banning people after, they let it go on for about 3-5 years(friends of radar using quit)
    (player base went to hell)
    result
    Large % of pop spent time dueling each other outside of dc, like you would see 20-30 dueling consistently on any given night min.
    Fact is it changes the flow of traffic, less roaming by smalls and solos

Food Chain- due to dops being worth 700-1000rps
    guy hunting dops
    guy hunting guy hunting dops
    guy or guys hunting that guy
    fg shows up due to number growing in area
    Broadsword got a broken game due to the way Mythic handle Radar

I think move them away from POC and towers make people risk dying who want to hunt them, or add in something else that will cause this traffic, but with same results.
    Con
    High rr people cry because they guy they where farming 6 mnths ago is rr 8-11 and now killing them
    Pro
    More action for more players, lower end skilled players have a chance to advance toon
    People are more likely to start a new toon, or small man(game population maintains or grows)

Bottom line is players have more interaction with each with the dops at worth the risk to kill for all solo rr 1-13. I no longer hunt high rr hunting dops or hunting people doing dops(noone does), I have to hunt high rr "dueling each other" at boxes. While they farm low rr guys trying to quest.
  • "down a little bit" the % decrease is that what you would say if your pay dropped at your job, it was just "a little bit". Shows the attempt to downplay the HUGE decrease.
  • TDIL population is bad because of the radar ban waves. Interesting take.
  • Ya... That's def not the reason. Bans that happened like 15 years ago lol
  • they should never have banned people---they should have just removed all rps from guilty accounts ....
  • edited November 2020 PM
    47el wrote: »
    they should never have banned people---they should have just removed all rps from guilty accounts ....

Unless Mythic or EA/BS invoked IP bans, all these players could easily create another account and play again. It takes very little time to reach 50 and be equipped for RvR. Gaining RR isn't an issue either. There's plenty of catchup mechanisms in place.

If people truly quit due to the radar ban wave(s), then they never intended to play the game without it.
    Post edited by puter on
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    I think people forget... 20-30k/hour was the norm for RPs solo if you were good...

The flip side of that is that good luck finding a solo player less than r9 or a small man/full group with less than an average RR rank of 9. While this makes less of a difference in a large group/zerg, especially with less frequent rvr engagements (when all your ra's should be up), tie goes to the RA dumpers.

If there's no dopples or things that give decent rp how can you beat the leat skillas (who often group up with more at the first sign of a potential death) without gaining rp somehow? Can you really join the zerg on mid or alb? really? RP's not being a thing has more weight if the skill cap was somehow lowered to increase parity. Maybe a class on each realm with something like old free necro lifetapmoc and heightened defenses on a timer, but not much else. Not going to get you much in groups or even solo given normal counters, but it would allow even really bad players to get rps sometimes.
  • puter wrote: »
    TDIL population is bad because of the radar ban waves. Interesting take.

agreed. having trouble thinking why this would be posted other than the obvious reason.
  • KatKat
    edited November 2020 PM
    Just a suggestion, if BS doesn't want people to gain rps through pve (and I agree), why not re-instate the dopple quest? Give rewards attractive enough that people will want to roam for dopples. The pots were a nice reward

And remove the dopples right next to the nged tower..srsly...wtf
    Post edited by Kat on
  • edited November 2020 PM
    Koe wrote: »
    Armagedden wrote: »
    I think people forget... 20-30k/hour was the norm for RPs solo if you were good...

The flip side of that is that good luck finding a solo player less than r9 or a small man/full group with less than an average RR rank of 9. While this makes less of a difference in a large group/zerg, especially with less frequent rvr engagements (when all your ra's should be up), tie goes to the RA dumpers.

If there's no dopples or things that give decent rp how can you beat the leat skillas (who often group up with more at the first sign of a potential death) without gaining rp somehow? Can you really join the zerg on mid or alb? really? RP's not being a thing has more weight if the skill cap was somehow lowered to increase parity. Maybe a class on each realm with something like old free necro lifetapmoc and heightened defenses on a timer, but not much else. Not going to get you much in groups or even solo given normal counters, but it would allow even really bad players to get rps sometimes.

IDK about your statement that fighting rr9+ on low RR is a big disadvantage... but game has changed... but I started out in Molvik and played there for like 2-3 years thinking that lvl 50 RvR was too hard for me... I finally mustered up the courage to go to 50 and template my warrior, and found out quickly that people who play NF ain't sh*t... I was rr3 warrior soloing rr12 heroes.. You just gotta figure out the game. DAoC is a game of inches... you gotta do everything you can to come out on top in a 1v1. A rr3 can certainly kill a rr9+. I never EVER looked at RR as a disadvantage, but rather the player's skill. Dying to someone just made me better.

But again, game has changed so much in last 3-4 years, I'm sure if I came into the game now I would not have such as easy as a time to adapt to all the items that didn't exist when I started.

On the flip side of that, I played a zerker 99% solo from rr3-rr11 this year and had no problems at low RR... but I knew what I was doing I guess

Game pop is also MUCH different than what it was.. it really does feel like the only good solo players left are those who know the game backwards and forwards
    Post edited by Armagedden on
  • LffLff
    edited November 2020 PM
    zerk gets free charge and some good toys at low rr especially with BL. You are halfway topped out at r4 and all the way topped out at r8. I agree that the skill differential is high now on all types of play.
    Post edited by Lff on
  • Unless Mythic or EA/BS invoked IP bans, all these players could easily create another account and play again. It takes very little time to reach 50 and be equipped for RvR. Gaining RR isn't an issue either. There's plenty of catchup mechanisms in place.

If people truly quit due to the radar ban wave(s), then they never intended to play the game without it.

I sold a lev 48 Hunter on ebay for $350 when see hidden came out and I could not make it past the mid mg in old frontier this was not always the case.