Moving Doppels from Bowtowns was the worst idea...

Smallmans and 8mans still regularly run through Moy/Folley/Trelle. It has not changed a thing, the only thing it hurts is solo game. The best thing to happen to this game in years was having the Doppels give some decent RPs and making them spawn in an area where all soloers can travel quickly between.

GROUPS WILL ALWAYS ROLL SOLOS so the people who were QQing that it was ruining their time as a solo farming doppels well too bad... There has never been a risk vs. reward for soloers in the history of this game. Now there was, with doppels. A solo could actually make decent RPs between finding fights, but the risk of getting run over by bigger numbers is still high (always has been, but at least when doppels were at the bowtowns it made it better than now having ltierally nothing to find between trying to find solo fights)
Tagged:

Comments

• Well, there are doppels out of bowtown. Why you dont run there?
  • But yes, it was a stupid idea to remove them, since it just pushes bowtown as being some special place.
  • It was a little over the top I feel though, the PvEing for RPs was excessive at the solo areas.
  • I think it was a great idea. Thanks, BS :)
  • It was a little over the top I feel though, the PvEing for RPs was excessive at the solo areas.

I would agree PvEing for RPs was never what anyone wanted, but for the first time since Broadsword ruined population 3+ years ago it actually made solo action seem not so dead. I had something to do between fights
  • Bowtown needs to be deleted. It's a waste of space, where ppl go to test out there cheat programs against each other to see how good they work. Dopples should be placed all over the map so if you want to gank someone you have to earn it.
    Asatruar - Ronnie 10 "
    Corpseshovel - Oldstanky - Nogvi

The reason people hate to PvP is they are afraid of failure
  • Pleazing wrote: »
    Bowtown needs to be deleted. It's a waste of space, where ppl go to test out there cheat programs against each other to see how good they work. Dopples should be placed all over the map so if you want to gank someone you have to earn it.

I think it's funny that you think that soloers have to cheat to be so good at their class 1v1. Just shows how much you don't know about the game. Kinda reminds me when I hear people in /region saying they saw so-and-so "speedhacking" because they are jumping all over the place....

Anyways, I do agree with you that /bowtowns should of never existed... They were a bandaid for the dwindling population caused by Broadsword after patch after patch of bull crap.... And when they took away ruined keeps lets not forget that...

So ya, they should of never existed in the first place, but nevertheless ever since their implementation, this doppel event was the best thing to happen to the solo community
  • Yet again broadsword not listening to the player base first time for a long time that small mans and pug 8s could get away from zergs and have some decent action and what do they do they change it I mean seriously what are they thinking the driftwood and flowers quest was another great place to go they need to reinstate something.
  • We specifically did listen, this change was made based on feedback received from the community.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Rekt by Carol
  • But you didn't listen to me! QQ
    :'(
  • edited May 2020 PM
    Solo zones are silly imo. The action is spread out enough now with the driftwood and doppels that solo action is amazing.... one thing that would make it more amazing is if there weren’t toons standing in one of three areas /bowing to each other then complaining about getting zerged.

Go hunt. It’s fun. It would be more fun if more people would do it

My suggestion is to put the doppels back and drop the “solo zone” label entirely
    Post edited by kedyma on
  • KatKat
    edited May 2020 PM
    Multiple dopples in small area is bad idea. It just leads to bad groups (you know who you are) camping the areas for ez pve rps. Having them spread all around the realms encourages the roaming. Right now, the action in all the realms, not just on ev, seems to be much higher. That's a good thing. Scattered dopples and driftwood give solo/smallies something to do. Sucks when I get ran over by fgs in these areas..but w/e. That's part of choosing to solo.

Having a "bowtown" was not a bad idea. There is a very tiny player base that likes to solo on visi toons. Doesn't hurt the zergers, at all, to let them have one small part of the game to play. They could port around, find each other, and have the additional danger of smallies/fgs come to the area. There was risk, there was reward. Putting dopples in the solo area killed that. Game is big enough for all playstyles. Not sure why people get so butt hurt that 10 people in game don't want to zerg...and BS gave them just a small place to play with the solo porting ability
    Post edited by Kat on
  • edited May 2020 PM
    And always fighting the same people is fun for you?

Then maybe make an arena for those 10 people where they can play.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • KatKat
    edited May 2020 PM
    Kroko wrote: »
    And always fighting the same people is fun for you?

I don't use the bowtowns..I roam. But, I can understand why solo players like to go there. Why do you care if people like fighting each other?
    Post edited by Kat on
  • I just dont think this is all of the story. If this was all, then just make an arena for those 10 people and leave the rest alone.
  • Kroko wrote: »
    I just dont think this is all of the story. If this was all, then just make an arena for those 10 people and leave the rest alone.

Again..why do you care? It does not negatively affect you in anyway at all. People like to roam, go to solo areas, set up fights, zerg, 8v8. Game can accommodate all players.
  • Because I think those elitists also profit from not so experienced players who go to "solo area" (because they think, cool theres a solo area, ill try this) but who have zero chance against many players/classes running around there. But the elitists profit from those players! Its easy food. They just have to stand there and wait for their food. Home delivery service for free.
  • edited May 2020 PM
    But keep it up, I dont care.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • Kroko wrote: »
    Because I think those elitists also profit from not so experienced players who go to "solo area" (because they think, cool theres a solo area, ill try this) but who have zero chance against many players/classes running around there. But the elitists profit from those players! Its easy food. They just have to stand there and wait for their food. Home delivery service for free.

Its risk vs reward. Solo areas are always going to get run over by smallies/fgs looking for ez rps. Lowbies are going to get killed by higher rr's. Part of the game. But that doesn't mean there can't be areas that encourage a playstyle, without taking away all the risk. The game is healthier when there are all types of playstyles in game.
  • We specifically did listen, this change was made based on feedback received from the community.

Yes I know this. I just feel like this was one of those times that the community spoke out and was very wrong. I will deal though. It's too early to tell. I still think there should still be something that Broadsword should work on for the solo population.

I know you guys are listening and we appreciate it
  • @Kat you're probably right. Years ago when ruined keeps and the supplies quest was what it was, solo action was great. I think I've just been spoiled with these doppels being such easy RPs. I'm still making good RPs but it's definitely not as ezpz as it was.

I just think it was dumb to hear the community say that having doppels at the keeps was dumb. It did nothing for small/8/zerg, but it helped soloers IMO.
  • edited May 2020 PM
    Elite solos crying that they can’t farm instant spawning dopps for free rps in the solo areas is hilarious...

The action has been really solid around the mazes especially mid/Alb focusing on the doppels.

If anything consider bringing back the old Moy keep layout it was so much fun. Three stories of areas to fight in!

GL
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    Elite solos crying that they can’t farm instant spawning dopps for free rps is hilarious...

The action has been really solid around the mazes especially mid/Alb focusing on the doppels.

If anything consider bringing back the old Moy keep layout it was so much fun. Three stories of areas to fight in!

GL

3 stories of areas to fight in with no way out when a FG comes rolling up, and no LoS to see them coming at clip range. Sometimes I think you're ideas are on point, but most of the time I think you smoke crack
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    @Kat you're probably right. Years ago when ruined keeps and the supplies quest was what it was, solo action was great. I think I've just been spoiled with these doppels being such easy RPs. I'm still making good RPs but it's definitely not as ezpz as it was.

I just think it was dumb to hear the community say that having doppels at the keeps was dumb. It did nothing for small/8/zerg, but it helped soloers IMO.

Just curious. Who have you been talking to in the solo community? The majority of the ones I talked to hated dopple placement and basically just started grouping or avoiding the area
  • i mainly saw a group camping the "solo" zone to finish their quest and kill anything that came in.....

then go off to do whatever lol
  • edited May 2020 PM
    Oh bugger
    Post edited by Brut on
  • removing doppels from solo was fine, relax man.
  • edited May 2020 PM
    @kat I’m a soloer (for the most part) and loved the doppels in the bow towns. But I also never like the solo areas as I feel that more people standing around /bowing each other = less people roaming.

Soloers should have to hunt for their rps just like everyone else. The action is as good as I ever remember it being, mainly because of doppels and driftwood (although driftwood needs to be worth more BPs to make it as good as it was when flowers were out)

In short: solo areas are dumb, and dopples in solo areas are good because they are so concentrated they are guaranteed to produce action

Edit: if action gets slow I sometimes head to trelle... have seen zero people there since they moved the doppels out. Zero. Working as intended?

Edit2: I only check castle side.... I’m sure there are some leet /duelists hanging out on the house side
    Post edited by kedyma on
  • There are more groups roaming than solos, than add in fact zergers refuse to move unless whole herd moves.
    and you think solos are going to roam looking for each other while dying 15 times to every desperate **** grp not gonna happen that's why all soloers ported bow towns and that's also why most are Mia or grouped now from what I can see when I log in.
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • edited May 2020 PM
    @Boduke im at 54 solos in three days played this week. Yeah, I do think solos can roam perfectly fine.

Bow towns are a good idea for when the population is low..... but it’s rather high right now and perfectly spread out, albeit a little less spread out now that they took the doppels out of the “solo areas”. As someone who’s soloed in one way or another since 2005, I can tell you hunting is as good now as it’s ever been, and maybe even better.
    Post edited by kedyma on
  • Boduke wrote: »
    There are more groups roaming than solos, than add in fact zergers refuse to move unless whole herd moves.
    and you think solos are going to roam looking for each other while dying 15 times to every desperate **** grp not gonna happen that's why all soloers ported bow towns and that's also why most are Mia or grouped now from what I can see when I log in.

Yes lots of soloers now smallman because it's easier, I've noticed this since removal of doppels from bowtowns.

@kedyma I'm with you in that the whole /bowing thing was a result of Broadsword making these specific "solo zones". I enjoy roaming and not /bowing now, but there has to be more of an effort made to find a way to discourage groups from hunting soloers in some way, because most smallmans do just that
  • null

Agreed. Little things would help a ton. Making solo quest repeatable. Solo-rewarded skins. Better bps for driftwood. Better rps for doppels if solo.

All in all though I’m enjoying the solo game a ton right now. It’s obviously hot and cold, but rarely do I go too long without a good fight.
  • kedyma wrote: »
    null

Agreed. Little things would help a ton. Making solo quest repeatable. Solo-rewarded skins. Better bps for driftwood. Better rps for doppels if solo.

All in all though I’m enjoying the solo game a ton right now. It’s obviously hot and cold, but rarely do I go too long without a good fight.

Since I made the original post, I have to admit that the solo game isn't horrendous as I QQ'd about in the post's title. It was a frustrating change, but solo action is there still. My main gripe however is when the doppels were at bowtowns it made the population seem much better. Broadsword making this change to encourage more roaming is fine if the population was much higher. I mean the pop has been better, but not good enough so let's not all get complacent!
  • edited May 2020 PM
    Ofcourse it's never as bad as we make it seem, I personally just hate the extra deaths it just means I end up afk more than playing.

I suppose instead of complaining about ppl playing i can suggest getting rid of Rez sickness and Ras returning after a death and release.

Less time afk more time playing
    Post edited by Boduke on
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • That's a pretty bad idea if you think RAs coming back up when you die is a good idea lol
  • Boduke wrote: »
    I suppose instead of complaining about ppl playing i can suggest getting rid of Rez sickness and Ras returning after a death and release.

lol. Good joke.
  • For me Moy/Folley/Trelle is a duel zone not what I would call solo.

For me a big difference in duels to soloing.

I honestly hate having zones for styles of play, game was better when the players set up the duel zones etc on DCE

DAOC was always a kind of sandbox pvp system and feel that has somehow been lost with changes over the years