Realm Timers + Draft Fights

Hi. Me again. Talking again about realm timers. Obviously it is my opinion that realm timers are the most absurd feature with today's population. People now just straight up log off or quit instead of waiting which is messing with what little population we already have. But I get it zergers/ realm loyalists dont want people to log into the opposing realm and defend keeps or relics. Fine, whatever. But can their be some smart solve here for the community that wants to do draft fights? Anything at all if BS completely refuses to remove timers?

Now whether or not you agree with what I have said so far please read on....

A little background on draft fights if you are unfamiliar. 8V8 players that want to do setup fights and create a more equal playing field will do draft fights. They can be 8v8 7v7 5v5 w/e depending on how many players you can get. You pick two team captains, they /roll. The highest roller gets to make a choice - the first player they want on their team or the realm they want to play. After that the second captain picks the realm they want to play and their first player. Then back to the first captain for player choice, then back to the second and so on and so forth until all players are picked. You all boot up, do best of 3 or best of 5 fights (nowdays 5 because realm timers). After you redraft. New captains, swap the teams and realm up. This redraft creates a level playing field if one group is steam rolling over another group.

Lately there has been no action during usa prime time except zerging and obviously realm timers strongly support and enforce this type of action. I get it, most players nowadays are zergers but there are still a lot of players in the community that want to 8v8 so we have been hosting drafts and setting up fights on EV. During this time it has been suuuuper terrible when we redraft the teams and all 16 players need to wait 15 minutes. Can we have an island or something for draft fights where you don't get a timer? Zergs could avoid it and continue to circle the island or pve keeps if they are worried about these skilled "cross realming" players logging into an opposing realm. Or zergs could even steam roll people down on it if they want. I don't care as long as you don't get a realm timer for receiving rps on this island that way those players can redraft after without waiting.

Or hell, I would even take if we had to all /rp off and draft but apparently getting bounty points from a kill ALSO gives you realm timer... While I don't think /rp off is fair by any means can we still make this a solve in the meantime for draft fights?

I can't think of a reason realm timer enthusiasts or anyone would have a problem with this island idea. But maybe I'm not thinking of something? Why do we have realm timers? Because BS did not like the type of play style it created. What type is that? People logging into another realm to defend a keep on another realm they weren't on... or players log onto another realm to kill enemies that were on the realm they were just on, right? So they can just avoid this new island and continue to rvr in keeps, ev towers, or anywhere else, right?

Let me know what you guys think or if I am missing something here and why this wouldn't be a good idea. Thanks!

Comments

• To me if BS opened up the tournament section in Atlantis for you and made it so you could 8v8 in there with out realm timers, I'd be fine with that. For normal realm vs realm there should be in my opinion a 4 hr log timer when you earn 1 rp in any way. This would prevent half the Zerg logging off to log on their other realm to defend a relic keep and make it impossible to take it. Which has happened multiple times which is idiotic.
    Asatruar - Ronnie 10 "
    Corpseshovel - Oldstanky - Nogvi

The reason people hate to PvP is they are afraid of failure
  • 15 mins? It really has you concerned lol..
  • what about no realm timers but no rps for 30mins?

I understand OP's frustration, but there has to be a win-win for both sides out there somewhere
  • edited March 2020 PM
    Either what I said previously or open old frontiers for set 8v8 since old frontiers is still there. Have a npc that ports a grp of 5-8 out there. Another way would be to allow teleporters to teleport a grp to a version of CV that only allows in a grp if 5-8.

There should be absolutely no solo players in the area. You must be in a grp of 5-8 in order to play. Do not allow players to disband, if they disband and the grp falls below 5 players, the disbanded player and the grp under 5 should be immediately teleported back to their bind point.
    Post edited by Pleazing on
    Asatruar - Ronnie 10 "
    Corpseshovel - Oldstanky - Nogvi

The reason people hate to PvP is they are afraid of failure
  • Yes drafting with 15 minute timer is rough. Maybe they could reduce it to 5? I think 5 would be reasonable. And also I don't think the zergs in USA primetime should complain about people switching to defend keeps considering they hardly EVER hit a keep they just roam ev with 40+ mindlessly taking towers..or getting farmed nom nom nom
  • edited March 2020 PM
    Pleazing wrote: »
    Either what I said previously or open old frontiers for set 8v8 since old frontiers is still there. Have a npc that ports a grp of 5-8 out there. Another way would be to allow teleporters to teleport a grp to a version of CV that only allows in a grp if 5-8.

There should be absolutely no solo players in the area. You must be in a grp of 5-8 in order to play. Do not allow players to disband, if they disband and the grp falls below 5 players, the disbanded player and the grp under 5 should be immediately teleported back to their bind point.

There are no instances for special grp sizes in daoc.
    Has always been. This would only reduce population in frontiers which is no good idea.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • could you do that on pendragon---
  • @Kroko It's tough to judge what would happen.

I think the best way for BS to approach these kind of requests is to experiment, and right now with the Covid situation they have the highest pop playing since the last 2-3 years. They should take advantage of that situation.
  • edited March 2020 PM
    I doubt this would kill pop. Take the 15 minute timer and reduce it to 3 to 5 minutes. This gives the "sitting ducks" who may feel spied on to have plenty of time to move on.

You have few options in NF right now. You can join the zerg and try kill whatever you see in sight, or you can form an 8-man and do your best to hold your own. Too often, people log because they don't want to participate in a 50 v 3 fight. In the end, what's so fun about getting one nuke off on someone to only earn a few hundred RP every few minutes? I'm sure you can do better farming doppels.

Many of the people who stick around in DAoC enjoy a good fight. I don't see the satisfaction of running around aimlessly taking towers and sieging keeps, only to then call it a night after your zerg gets wiped.

Those against it don't realize that when you're doing drafts, you're not out to find people along the way to kill. You are simply going from point a to point b, to then fight a few times and re-draft. If we're all on one realm when we decide, we have to wait 15 minutes to move to another realm, then spend a few minutes coordinating the group, then add 30-45 minutes of fights, and now you're about an hour or so invested in 3-5 fights.

We want to enjoy the game just as much as everyone else. We know this isn't the way DAoC was intended to be played at launch, but to have your only real option to zerg or be zerg'd at this point is pure ca-ca.
    Post edited by BryGuy888 on
  • debain wrote: »
    15 mins? It really has you concerned lol..

Lmao

Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • edited March 2020 PM
    BryGuy888 wrote: »

Many of the people who stick around in DAoC enjoy a good fight. I don't see the satisfaction of running around aimlessly taking towers and sieging keeps, only to then call it a night after your zerg gets wiped.

In bold represents 95% of current daoc's player base.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Shoke wrote: »
    BryGuy888 wrote: »

In bold represents 95% of current daoc's player base.

But it isn't everyone. I refuse to believe that all 8v8 players left the game to go 8v8 elsewhere. That just isn't true. People still want to and we have been seeing great interest in these late night drafts. People want to 8v8 and draft on ywain. We have been able to setup drafts for like the past 10 years without an issue until realm timers.

@John_Broadsword isn't there some smart solve here to keep 8v8ers and people that want to setup fights on ywain? I see the easiest being remove or reduce realm timers (which I highly doubt will happen) or allow /rp off to not get a realm timer when killing a player (which I think is completely unfair to not allow 8v8 players earn rps for setting up fights). Can you help solve this very real issue?
  • @xuu There are a couple things, one is encouraging groups to unstick the zergs with some kind of GvG incentive. Just so that even if you aren't necessarily competitive and get rolled by stronger groups, you still get RPs and a reward for trying. At least these groups wouldn't need to stick to zergs to earn RPs.

The second one is to allow drafts to occur by finding a way to go around the realm timer. Hopefully BS proposes solutions to both.

In my opinion #2 is just the removal of realm timers entirely and solve that realm swapping issue with a malus associated to keeps (take massive damage if within 3,000 range of a flaming keep for 30 minutes after swapping realms, etc)
  • Im ok with removing/reducing the realm timer.
    But there should not be a special area for a special playstyle. This was always the argument.
    No one supports solo areas. So there cant be special areas for 8v8 or anything else.
  • If there were enough people that want to 8v8 on Ywain, as you claim, would there not be enough people to simply communicate in a discord to do set fights on that realm for a night? Cause if it's enough people to make an entire 8v8 zone, surely there must always be replacements waiting in the wings, so just incase one of your players needs to log, somebody else is waiting in the wings to replace them?

And if a player knows when they need to log, and their replacement is on another realm, they can't just be given a 15 min heads up?

Sounds like, if what you say is true, that a lot of people want to 8v8, you could make it happen on your own without relying on @John_Broadsword or @Carol_Broadsword
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • You, off course, turn your RPs off when you set up groups of high RR toons. . .across realms. . .to fight each other at the precise time you're all worth max RPs?

You, off course, pick places with low traffic like Ella. . .Forest Sauvage?

You, off course, do the 1st round in Discord before you start?

As for 8v8, I prefer it. . .but you are the very people to blame for the lack of it. What have you done to bring in more 8v8ers? When is the last time you ran with 2 people in you're group that you didn't know? People think you cheat because you don't bother teaching anyone what it takes to get better. Don't challenge yourselves by putting 16 people in a box, do it by leading a PUG 8 man. . .and help them become good 8v8ers.
  • Instance RvR, for solo, smallman, and 8-man, IMO.
  • No reason for realm timers imo. They were placed to stop 8 mans from switching realms to fight other 8 mans or defending keeps versus zergs. This could be done in other ways. For example remove requirements to use safe port to ev, then allow ppl who just swapped realm to only port to the island for a set amount of time and not allow them on the main lands except for relic towns. Fixes draft fights, 8 mans swapping to balance roaming action, and if the zergs are taking a keep or going after the relic the group/groups that swapped wont be able to come help or defend. Easy fix.
  • @Dale_Perf Yes and no.

There are some that like the smaller scale fights. However, right now you get zero RPs if you get rolled by a better 8 man. The likelyhood of an average/bad 8 man on killing one player from a good 8 man is relatively zero.

So you can spend your night going out as 8 and the only RPs they would get is killing soloers/smallman. At the opposite, you can sit in a flamed keep, get a couple kills, and end up with 100k RPs.

That's why there is a requirement for Broadsword to come up with incentives for players to run 8/smallman. Once you get that in place, there will be more groups running, and the drafts/set fights will be more present.

Also, it's not because you run 8 man that you necessarily like set fights. Set fights are nice because you get a clean (usually no add) fight against another well set up group. However they do get repetitive and you miss the "roaming" part of running 8.

One idea would be for players usually in "set" groups to pug more. However, why would I pug a stranger, probably lose most of my fights, get zero RPs for my evening? I would rather stick to the people I know and do well with? People talk about an investment, but at least if we got RPs even when losing people would do that more often.

My 2 cents.
  • edited March 2020 PM
    xuu wrote: »

But it isn't everyone. I refuse to believe that all 8v8 players left the game to go 8v8 elsewhere. That just isn't true. People still want to and we have been seeing great interest in these late night drafts. People want to 8v8 and draft on ywain. We have been able to setup drafts for like the past 10 years without an issue until realm timers.
    Shoke wrote: »
    @Dale_Perf Yes and no.

My point being that if there are people that want to 8v8, as much as xuu is claiming here, why this can't be setup via discord. Exactly what xuu is saying has been taken away from them (ease of setting up draft fights) could be done through discord.

But to solve the problem... make an /8v8 command.

group leader types /8v8 list -- group is on a clean fight 8v8 list;
    once you list your group, your groups zone is shown on the 8v8 list
    the only other players that can see the 8v8 list, are players in those listed 8v8 groups
    after the fight, both group leaders can type /8v8 claim if they deem it was a "clean fight" and all 16 players are awarden 1k rps.
    Post edited by Dale_Perf on
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
  • @Dale_Perf that's how drafts are made now. The issue is the timer when it is time to redraft.

And I wonder where you took inspiration for the GvG command and reward. Having people show their locations through a /8v8 or /gvg command would be awesome.

NF map is too big, we need tools to help action.
  • I could share, but the ban hammer is coming down hard these days I hear, and I still somewhat enjoy my EC account :)

I've been saying for a while we are trying to hold up a system not designed for us. NF was designed to have about 1,500 players on the map. I don't think we have the resources to make NF 3.0, so change it up. Allow porting to any keep you own etc etc.

As far as a redraft, again IDK why we don't set it all up in discord. If there's enough people like xuu claims there is, I don't see why it's an issue to fill one or two slots when somebody else needs to log. Unless, of course, they're not trying to group anybody that wants to 8v8, just their friends.
  • Because, when they redraft, people have to be able to change realms quickly, otherwise they sit around waiting all the time. Someone may have played an alb cleric....then gets redrafted to a hib group to play druid. Now there is a 15 min lag between each draft. Doesn't sound like a big deal..but add 15 minute wait to each draft, and it adds up and people log off. IIRC, they redraft after like 3 or 5 fights.
  • Kat wrote: »
    Because, when they redraft, people have to be able to change realms quickly, otherwise they sit around waiting all the time. Someone may have played an alb cleric....then gets redrafted to a hib group to play druid. Now there is a 15 min lag between each draft. Doesn't sound like a big deal..but add 15 minute wait to each draft, and it adds up and people log off. IIRC, they redraft after like 3 or 5 fights.

Ya my point being they are making no efforts to change how they do things within the design of the game. You don't need to change teams/redraft every 3-5 fights if somebody dips out just fill them with the people waiting in line. If one group is just getting dominated from the start, maybe they should look at whoever is organizing it to determine if they were put at a disadvantage, whether it be on purpose or not. If there's enough of an 8v8 pop, like xuu claims, i dont see why this can't happen on its own. The incentive for 8v8 is rps, as the rate is way better killing in an 8 than an 80 man group...

But I don't believe there is enough of an 8man crowd, like xuu claims, that want to do it. hence the struggle. If there's people that actually want to 8v8 on ywain, then fill the groups up...

ie

-monday - 2-3 hours before primetime
    -8v8 discord draft channel: drafting in 1 hour for tonights rvr, drop name in channel to be in the draft
    -discord random 1000 bot (similar things exist) to pick teams
    -two, three, or 4 8mans are formed for the night.
    -waitlist is formed for those that didnt get drafted/arrived late. these players will be given a 15-20 minute heads up when a spot will be free and what the group needs. first come first serve basis for waitlist players (like free agents)
    - each team jumps in a separate channel in discord, or diff discord
    -setup fights in low traffic areas. say there are three groups. g1 and g2 agree to set fight at mid maze, g3 agrees to roam ev waiting to get pinged that the next group is rdy to fight at hib maze. rotate the mazes so less likely fights get added by randos. or any 3 spots on the map tbh

the main issue they are having is a re-draft.....

if theres enough ppl doing 8mans like xuu claims, why do we need to switch realms all night to 8v8? seems like this 8v8 community can come together and work something like this out, because the 8v8 community is a bunch of nice guys that are inclusive and will help bring in all the people that want to 8v8

oh wait
  • @Dale_Perf you don't run 8 man I suppose.

It's not as bad as soloing, but the RPs can be extremely good while they can also be really bad, depends on the performance of the group.

The issue is not for the top groups, it's to help the newer/not as good groups not quit after one day of getting rolled over and getting no RPs.

Also, inherent to drafting is that you don't necessarily know everyone and what they are good at. Also not everyone has every class templated. You'll draft a good player just to realize that that person only has a staff friar on alb or something like that.

That's why it happens that some drafts are completely one sided and a redraft is needed every 3-5 fights.

In a 80 man group, sit 15 minutes in a large keep defense and bam you made 50k of free rps
  • KatKat
    edited March 2020 PM
    Honestly, I couldn't care less if 8mans get their timers reduced. I would vote for a 2 hour timer

Post edited by Kat on
  • edited March 2020 PM
    Nope and nope...

IRC and the other "8 mans" abused the realms and RvR for so very long that they actually affected EVERY OTHER ACTIVE PLAYERS gameplay. Therefore they enacted the realm timers.

If anything they should INCREASE the realm timers in duration not decrease...
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • Shoke, you are so very wrong. These drafts are 8v8 minus the 0RPs you get roaming in between 8v8 fights. . .minus the 0RPs you get if a zerg gets you. They do offer these high realm rank people a quick opportunity to fight and kill 8 RR11+ 'friends' of theirs inside 3 minutes. You want to farm (x-realm) RPs without the risks and now you're pleading that already pathetically low timers should be removed?

"In a 80 man group, sit 15 minutes in a large keep defense and bam you made 50k of free rps"

No, no, no. . .it's a quick 50k RPs if YOUR high RR, preset, played together for 5 years, no random people in discord for at least a decade group adds to a pug zerg vs pug zerg fight at a keep. The rest of us who run 8 and speak 3 different languages in Teamspeak while listening to perpetually open mikers with mechanical keyboard make slightly less.
  • They redraft so the teams are changed so that if one team is getting smoked, they get shuffled again to make it somewhat fair so you don't stay losing all night. Not necessarily because of people leaving.
  • iLk wrote: »
    Shoke, you are so very wrong. These drafts are 8v8 minus the 0RPs you get roaming in between 8v8 fights. . .minus the 0RPs you get if a zerg gets you. They do offer these high realm rank people a quick opportunity to fight and kill 8 RR11+ 'friends' of theirs inside 3 minutes. You want to farm (x-realm) RPs without the risks and now you're pleading that already pathetically low timers should be removed?

"In a 80 man group, sit 15 minutes in a large keep defense and bam you made 50k of free rps"

No, no, no. . .it's a quick 50k RPs if YOUR high RR, preset, played together for 5 years, no random people in discord for at least a decade group adds to a pug zerg vs pug zerg fight at a keep. The rest of us who run 8 and speak 3 different languages in Teamspeak while listening to perpetually open mikers with mechanical keyboard make slightly less.

You are a little bit exagerating. Not eveyone drafting is R11+ and good. Some people get stuck on classes they never play or is very low rank just because of how the teams are built. A fight will last between 1 and 5 minutes usually, and then it can take like 10-15 minutes before the second fight happens, just between releasing, buffing, porting, getting chased by a zerg hungry for RPs, etc.

So let's say the fights are really unbalanced, then you redraft and lose about 30-40 minutes just in that process. So it's not really RP farming, you switch characters all the time, don't really make a lot of RPs, it's mainly for fun.

The timer was a cheap solution to a zerger problem. The only players affected negatively by this timers are players looking for smaller scale fights (solo, smallmen, 8 man). There was a million other solutions that would specifically solve the zerg relic swap issue, but people can't think outside the box and just kept sasking for timers.

One reason (of many) why a huge portion of the server population sticks to zerging, it's just better RPs when they aren't as good or coordinated as the better groups. However, if you had an incentive to run as 8 instead of sticking a zerg, maybe a couple groups would break off and roam, with the possibility of still making a couple RPs.

If people could recognize that you tried and put up a good fight, you should be rewarded for that.

I'm not saying all zergs will turn into 8-man, there are a lot of players in the zerg that like that playstyle, the big battles, keeps, etc.

Sometimes you find some other groups roaming, beat them, then right away they are back in the zerg, looking for the next defense bonus RPs.
  • edited April 2020 PM
    Shoke wrote:
    You are a little bit exagerating. Not eveyone drafting is R11+ and good. Some people get stuck on classes they never play or is very low rank just because of how the teams are built. A fight will last between 1 and 5 minutes usually, and then it can take like 10-15 minutes before the second fight happens, just between releasing, buffing, porting, getting chased by a zerg hungry for RPs, etc.

So let's say the fights are really unbalanced, then you redraft and lose about 30-40 minutes just in that process. So it's not really RP farming, you switch characters all the time, don't really make a lot of RPs, it's mainly for fun.

This, 100%.

I've only drafted a few times with some of the late night people, but every experience has been wicked fun.

Why?

You have to work with what you got. Not every group is going to be absolutely perfect and built 100%. You learn a character you may not have played for a few years and how they can work within a group. Not to mention, you meet new players which can open you up to new groups and such.

There's no RP abuse or anything along those lines. You're lucky if you walk away with 10k RP after a 5v5 since many of us are only playing toons that are less than RR8. You could make more RP farming doppels in the amount of time it takes to wait on timers, form a group, and get 3-5 fights in.

Simple, we're just trying to have fun without waiting around.

Post edited by BryGuy888 on
    @Dale_Perf you don't run 8 man I suppose.

It's not as bad as soloing, but the RPs can be extremely good while they can also be really bad, depends on the performance of the group.

The issue is not for the top groups, it's to help the newer/not as good groups not quit after one day of getting rolled over and getting no RPs.

Also, inherent to drafting is that you don't necessarily know everyone and what they are good at. Also not everyone has every class templated. You'll draft a good player just to realize that that person only has a staff friar on alb or something like that.

That's why it happens that some drafts are completely one sided and a redraft is needed every 3-5 fights.

In a 80 man group, sit 15 minutes in a large keep defense and bam you made 50k of free rps

My point being, if there are enough people that want to 8man, you're not going to be solely focusing on a scenario where theres only 16 people that want to 8v8 and those groups are just going to keep smashing into each other over and over and over. We are seriously debating a game mechanic so it can benefit 20 players. lol.
  • If the realm timers are such a big deal, just get another account. ;)
  • Dale_Perf wrote: »

My point being, if there are enough people that want to 8man, you're not going to be solely focusing on a scenario where theres only 16 people that want to 8v8 and those groups are just going to keep smashing into each other over and over and over. We are seriously debating a game mechanic so it can benefit 20 players. lol.

@Dale_Perf you clearly do not understand nor have ever drafted. It isn't about people needing to log or wanting to log. The redraft is to let new captains lead, swap up the cru among the 16, try new setups, new realms. diff ppl on diff classes... It's fun, competitive, you make new friends, and learn new strats and tactics for RvR. If I wanted to farm 8mans all day and night I would just stick with my set group but this is a way to create a bigger pool of 8v8 players. When I say 8v8 I do not mean the 28v8 RvR that you are used to. It is a different type of play style that is as old as daoc. You just aren't aware of it... yet! Join us ;)

Draft night tonight! Everyone get ready for a lot of afk in relic town. Learn more and tune in to the twitch stream.
  • xuu wrote: »
    Dale_Perf wrote: »

@Dale_Perf you clearly do not understand nor have ever drafted. It isn't about people needing to log or wanting to log. The redraft is to let new captains lead, swap up the cru among the 16, try new setups, new realms. diff ppl on diff classes... It's fun, competitive, you make new friends, and learn new strats and tactics for RvR. If I wanted to farm 8mans all day and night I would just stick with my set group but this is a way to create a bigger pool of 8v8 players. When I say 8v8 I do not mean the 28v8 RvR that you are used to. It is a different type of play style that is as old as daoc. You just aren't aware of it... yet! Join us ;)

Draft night tonight! Everyone get ready for a lot of afk in relic town. Learn more and tune in to the twitch stream.

All I hear is "we have failed to adapt to the new way of things and demand you return it to the way it was before so we can do our way of rvr for our group of 20 people."

You might be on the wrong server to 8v8 though, I hear Pendragon is where it's at ;)
  • Dale_Perf wrote: »
    Dale_Perf wrote: »

All I hear is "we have failed to adapt to the new way of things and demand you return it to the way it was before so we can do our way of rvr for our group of 20 people."

You might be on the wrong server to 8v8 though, I hear Pendragon is where it's at ;)

I'm on the only server I want to be on...
  • Take drafts to Pendragon. Problem solved.
  • Anomally wrote: »
    Take drafts to Pendragon. Problem solved.

That’s dumb.

Drafts are really fun. But they are not gonna change realm timers to accommodate them.

• I pleadge to reactivate all my accounts if @xuu proposal pass.
    So thats a 3% revanue increase for BS
  • Hmm, remove realm timers but:

- deactivate all chats for 15 minutes after log out from a realm (PMs too).
    - Put a debuff on characters swapping realms for 15 minutes that makes them take big damage when near a flaming keep.

Everyone would be happy playing this beautiful game.
    Hmm, remove realm timers but:

- Put a debuff on characters swapping realms for 15 minutes that makes them take big damage when near a flaming keep.

^^^ WTF! This would literally be a perfect solve that addresses everything and would keep everyone happy with why they were implemented... Can this be so hard to develop to keep 8v8 alive in daoc 2020?? @John_Broadsword
  • Here is the stream form the fights. Only rule was no albion and hybrid setups with 3 casters. Hib came out on top for all sets. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/581069312
  • and here is the last set of drafts from last night. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/581156254

Really fun fights.
  • Honestly, I think it's a bad idea. The realm timers put realm pride into place but what about the soloers who aren't grouping for the realm? Also, streamers. If a streamer is streaming daoc and would like to switch realms after gaining rps. Sitting at the character screen for 15 minutes isn't too appealing to an audience and causes possible new players to leave the stream.
  • xuuxuu
    edited April 2020 PM
    First video
    First set:
    1st fight: 25 min mark, Hibs win
    2nd fights: 35 min mark, Hibs win
    3rd fights: 48 min mark, Hibs win

Second set:
    1st fight:1:23 min mark, Mids win
    2nd fight: 1:36 min mark, Hibs win
    3rd fight: 1:47 min mark, Hibs win
    4th fight: 2:02 min mark, Mids win
    Second video
    5th fight: 5 min mark, Hibs win

Third set:
    1st fight: 53 min mark, Hibs win
    2nd fight 1:07 min mark, Hibs win
    3rd fight 1:22 min mark, Hibs win
    Post edited by xuu on
  • Auf_Nymf wrote: »
    I pleadge to reactivate all my accounts if @xuu proposal pass.

Please do. Can we get a DOG circa 2001 revamp?
  • BryGuy888 wrote: »
    Auf_Nymf wrote: »
    I pleadge to reactivate all my accounts if @xuu proposal pass.

Please do. Can we get a DOG circa 2001 revamp?

Or our children can carry the torch :)
  • xuu wrote: »

^^^ WTF! This would literally be a perfect solve that addresses everything and would keep everyone happy with why they were implemented... Can this be so hard to develop to keep 8v8 alive in daoc 2020?? @John_Broadsword

I think i've mentionned that solution ever since they announced realm timers.

The biggest thing that bugs me is that all the pro realm timers haven't been able to provide constrictive criticism in the hopes of finding a common agreement, it's just 100% hate from them for some reason.

I think i've mentionned that solution ever since they announced realm timers.

The biggest thing that bugs me is that all the pro realm timers haven't been able to provide constrictive criticism in the hopes of finding a common agreement, it's just 100% hate from them for some reason.

That's totally what is happening :)

Look to the classic server cluster. When it was three separate servers, all with realm timers. It was designed this way because DAoC has won awards for its REALM vs REALM warfare, it's in the base design of the game. This way, classic players who wanted to experience all three realms could do so, without "hopping realms." Look back further, and you see that each server, your realm was locked in also. But you were free to play the other realms on other servers.

When DAoC thrived, it was with realm timers and with realm locks. Granted, it also had a much better population in those days. You could make the argument, that a game longstanding on realm timers and locks, needs to evolve and adapt to it's current players needs. For the devs to do this, would be the exact opposite of their entire marketing strategy, selling complex, three-way realm vs realm fights.

However realm timers work when 80% of the games subs support the idea. Forget actual player numbers. I would probably say that maybe close to 60% of the games subs support the idea today, as more and more have left, while the hardcore players have stayed. So devs really have two choices here: move forward as a pvp game, or rvr game. If this is going to be a more pvp-focused game, alot of things need to be changed. New Frontiers is a terrible map for PvPers, and certain people on the underdog realm, or always losing relics, will be at a disadvantage to other groups just because of the lack of RvR players.

In my opinion, there should be an 8vs8vs8 arena, totally absent of relic/realm benefits/restrictions (including realm timer). Once in the arena, you are no longer able to port into New Frontiers for 4 hours on your account -- any realm. Zergers are tired of set groups killing their few PUG groups, and a niche PvP population is happy.

Who knows, maybe 8v8 pop will grow. But there are significantly more subs interested in a classic, realm lock/timer, SI/housing server than what YWAIN currently is or ever will be. That said, a lot of other things would need to be addressed to maintain the population of said server over a long period of time, but none of those are relevant to this topic.