Returning player thoughts

Perspective from a returning solo-ish stealther that plays all three realms:

-the map is terrible right now
-too much accessibility to the island prevents decent traffic patterns.
-solo zones need to go away completely. make soloers roam the map like everyone else
-no incentive to really do anything other than for the sake of doing it. . . 5k bp box quests arent cutting it
-bring back ruined keeps please!
-every player can look at the /rw and point to exactly where the stealth zergs are laming. thats an indicator of a poor map
design

-Archers
-the archery line is completely insufficient and bland. without crits hitting a 3k HP assassin for less than 500hp with crit shot?
-The terrible archery dmg has created more archer zergs, not less of them. It makes the duos/trios add more to grp.
-power shot needs to go away. by getting rid of power shot you can up the dmg on crit shot by 25% or so.
-crit shot immunity timer needs to be lowered so if i can get it off and restealth I can crit again for full dmg
-point blank needs to go back to old system. make it interruptible yet spammable. take off the stupid buff it provides if need be
-get rid of remedy. id wager that remedy on archers is why you dont see solo sins anymore.
-get rid of ranger alacrity. why is that even there?
-scouts need major love. major.
-hunter rr5 makes them better in melee and takes away their ability to use archery? an.archer.class?
-rapid fire has a 350 range? whats the point of that? take the aoe off and return it to its original form.

-Sins
-Left axe. gross.
-Alb gear points infiltrator templates to thrust. The most prominent pieces have dex on them with no option for str. Example is
leather legs. . . cant find a single decent set that has str on them. all dex.
-mezz poison constantly makes the sin fumble his wpns. broken when considering the current poison rut mechanics.
-viper is worthless.

-The F2P model is terrible. A few people I know quit the day they logged in.

-whoever put the yellow crystal on the down-slope of hib safe path directly in front of where you port in should be made to log into the /stuck position on that crystal every time they decide to play.

The game can be fun again. . . but in its current state its pretty tough for a solo/duo. which is why there arent many. At best there are 3-5 spots to camp on the island and get some decent action. Yesterday there were 4 mid stealth zergs on for 3-4 hours fighting for those camping spots. If you wont do anything to discourage the stealth zerg (sight reduction of group mates, big reduction in RPS, or incentivize soloing/duoing more) then at least spread the map out while keeping the action somewhat centralized. travel time creates opportunity. currently if player x is in a grp and dies, player x releases and ports back and is instantly with his grp again. thats backwards.

The game rocks at its core, but the stuff i mentioned will keep me from resubscribing after this one runs out i think.

/cheers

Comments

• KatKat
    edited March 2020 PM
    A few years ago BS took steps to nerf hunters, while buffing rangers with an OP rr5. Who knows why.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they were trying to decrease the damage stealth zergs do to the game, they didn't achieve that. They didn't focus on changes that would discourage the stealth zergs (i.e. decrease rps if grouped), but made it clear that they wanted to get sniper hunters out of the game. I mean, even the curse set has a melee bonus....for an archer archtype. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Scouts are the weakest archer and could use a boost. But if they boost the scout, then they are boosting stealth groups that already have the mini option

Though you have a great post, I highly doubt there will be any positive changes for archers. And, imho, until BS is willing to take drastic measures about the stealth zergers, they shouldn't improve archers. The only change they should make on archers is changing the ranger rr5 from pet attack to pet scare. Unfortunately, stealth zergers are out of control and have caused many people to quit. They have basically killed the roaming solo play style. They are hurting the game, and they don't care as long as they get those ez rps. They feed off lessor numbers, camping areas where they can find solo/duo's, while hiding from even numbered fights. They are a cancer. And as long as they are infecting the game, BS can't improve stealthers for solo players.

We just had mos change and sins nerfed because of them. They are literally the cockroaches of daoc. I have watched smallmans (lesser numbers) pop them out of stealth and they scattered like bugs.

If you are reading this, and asking yourself..."is she talking about me", the answer is yes.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • all play styles "feed off of lesser numbers"

and what do u call a rr11=12 "soloing" a low toon doing boxes lol..

they could have a 1- 8man instance dungeon to fix the problem ....
  • 47el wrote: »
    all play styles "feed off of lesser numbers"

Box questers can do cl/bp farming in pve. Being killed by higher realm rank in NF does not kill the game for them. Stealth zergers farming solo players have killed an entire play style.
  • Kat wrote: »
    47el wrote: »

Box questers can do cl/bp farming in pve. Being killed by higher realm rank in NF does not kill the game for them. Stealth zergers farming solo players have killed an entire play style.

good answer---should be i play to my own set of rules :)
  • KatKat
    edited March 2020 PM
    Kat wrote: »

good answer---should be i play to my own set of rules :)

Spend a week trying to solo, roaming around, on a visi and get back to me. I don't solo on a visi, just going by what I see....let me know if I am wrong.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • edited March 2020 PM

solo players dont feed off of lesser numbers. There is no number smaller than 1.

Box collectors dont really count. Either they are participants of RvR or not. If they are participants, then they are allowed to add, and it is a 1v1. If they are not participants, then I dont know why they are running around there.

There are other ways to get bps.

Post edited by Kroko on
  • Getting off track lol. Each playstyle deserves to enjoy the game, it’s poor game design that is making all the play styles overlap right now.

Zerg/stealth Zerg/small man/solos all in the same basic space.

And your typical stealth player doesn’t have the ability to be successful in a solo/duo due to being nerfed over the years (to thin out the zergs... ironic). EX: I don’t expect a typical scout to solo/duo...they can’t compete.

I totally understand I can’t force my play style on others.... people deserve to enjoy the game however they please.

I can encourage BS to make adjustments to help us all have a little more fun though
  • kedyma wrote: »
    Perspective from a returning solo-ish stealther that plays all three realms:

-the map is terrible right now
    -too much accessibility to the island prevents decent traffic patterns.
    -solo zones need to go away completely. make soloers roam the map like everyone else
    -no incentive to really do anything other than for the sake of doing it. . . 5k bp box quests arent cutting it
    -bring back ruined keeps please!
    -every player can look at the /rw and point to exactly where the stealth zergs are laming. thats an indicator of a poor map
    design

I've said it before and I will say it again: EV is killing the game. Bad traffic patterns or groups will literally just camp a port stone and wait for something to pop off and port to the closest EV tower.
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • Get rid of EV, been saying that for a long time.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    Get rid of EV, been saying that for a long time.

lack of communication is killing this game, DAOC will always survive in one form or another.

Some people just want dont want to be ignored by people that are willingly giving their hard earned money to. If i work hard for my money, i expect the people i give that money, to work hard as well

cant tell hard work or hardly working these days unfortunately =/
  • The assassin mezz bug is rage-worthy sometimes. Pls fix the game
    The assassin mezz bug is rage-worthy sometimes. Pls fix the game

Upload the issue on the bug tracker website.

https://trello.com/b/4AHyZxVl/dark-age-of-camelot-bug-tracker
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
    The assassin mezz bug is rage-worthy sometimes. Pls fix the game

What is the bug? If you are talking about the fumble, it was designed that way so their off hand attack didn't break mezz right after it was applied if I remember correctly.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Yeah I remember that now thanks. It made sense at the time when different poisons were on different RUTs and you could swap.... but now if you need to hit mezz right after changing poisons you end up staring at the target for half the length of the mezz, or worse yet they purge the mezz and your still left fumbling.

Simple fix would be to put crippling poison on a separate RUT than the others.
  • I good solution that will solve the problem , remove mezz poison .
  • Rangers need NOTHING. Hunters are Fine. Scout has always sucked and everyone has always said it's because they can group with Minstrels. As a solo Sin, trying to fight a Hunter/Ranger with Remedy up is painful. All I can do is reset the fight and try again, but usually by then there are more hunters/rangers and I die real fast.

And I've found the exact opposite when it comes to Inf gear. I find it's much easier to template slash but I personally love Thrust and find it odd that there is not a single Alb thrust weapon that has Quickness on it everything that has quick is slash. Last time a thruster had quickness on it in Alb it as from the ToA era (Gale weapon)

And if I'm not mistaken I've seen and been shot by you while I was trying to hunt the Hero zerg. Zerger. WB.
  • In theory I like the idea of archers hitting for more. It's just when you make them stronger they don't stop banding together, and stealth classes should always have to choose their targets carefully.
  • Yeah that’s enough for this guy. The map may be fun for some, but’s certainly an unenjoyable experience for me. I’m sure the masses love the ability to camp their own tower, run for 2 minutes to kill the other campers, or die/rebuff and be right back in the action within 30 seconds..... for me it just ends up being ran over over and over and over. So it’s either hunt the periphery and kill box questers (not my style), group up and kill lesser numbers (not my style), or cancel the accounts. Yup, /canceled

Giving everyone the ez-made templates that extend the fights for wayyy too long doesn’t help either. I’m sure that group of hunters need 3k hp and max resists to compete lol.

I’ll be around until the subs run out. Will come back for ruined keeps and/or major changes to the island. If you wanna throw in a little love for the solo play style that would be good for everyone too (ie maybe a few of those zerglings will attempt to solo and make the game more enjoyable for all

/dueces
  • Also, I know I’m only one sub (3 actually), but judging from the 1-2 people I see daily that are attempting to solo, id say the total loss in subscriptions is pretty substantial.

The map blows
  • To me it's laughable to try to play solo SB. Even 2H perf does trash damage to casters. With the amount of CC each caster class has, there's no point to trying to kill them. Maulers? heh. Vamps? Only if you can kill them in the first 10-15 seconds. Archers getting remedy still? Why? An rr5 ranger is a rough fight for me at rr10. It's not even fun anymore.
    Realm hopper extraordinaire

https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/respen