How much would it cost to buy DAOC from EA?

Playing some power Ball tickets. I'm planning on buying DAOC from EA if I win. Revamp the whole game and hire people to fix it, start weekly pod cast, update the graphics, etc. Just wondering the price tag to buy it....and I'm dead serious. Thanks!
Asatruar - Ronnie 10 "
Corpseshovel - Oldstanky - Nogvi

The reason people hate to PvP is they are afraid of failure

Comments

• Well then Good Luck !
  • Pleazing for president!
  • Usually licenses like that are not sold like a commodity. There are probably initial prices to pay, but the main cost is usually a monthly or quarterly fee that has to be paid. So the big question is more or less: can your company generate enough income to sustain while having to pay the license fee? Or in other words: can you get enough people to sub or pay through other means so you can pay salaries?
  • Pleazing wrote: »
    Playing some power Ball tickets. I'm planning on buying DAOC from EA if I win. Revamp the whole game and hire people to fix it, start weekly pod cast, update the graphics, etc. Just wondering the price tag to buy it....and I'm dead serious. Thanks!

If you've got the cash and want to make this happen, you'd want to make an offer. Preferably with a good faith check. If you think about the # of people that work there, it's going to have to be mid 7 figures + (I'd imagine). This is all extremely hypothetical I'm sure.
  • I have a dollar!!!
  • More mithril then you got, that’s for damn sure.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • 7 figures??? I was thinking 6 lol
  • It would be easier and cheaper to just make your own server.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • First EA wouldnt give up the license because you wouldn't be able to afford the hundreds of millions that this game as a whole is worth
  • Hundreds of millions? L...O....L
    Impounded - Warrior__________Gimpound - Champion
    Chantsy - Paladin____________Shaquilleoatmeal - Berserker
    Cowtastrophe - Hero__________Shrimpsticks - Infiltrator

Feel free to add me on Discord: Impounded#5743

>Daoc Videos<
  • Impounded wrote: »
    Hundreds of millions? L...O....L

Do you not know how licenses work? Do you know that hundreds of millions is not a lot when you're talking about buying whole games or businesses?
  • Not yet, got another ticket. Gonna make DAOC great again. But seriously though, I would byu DAOC and keep some people and hire more to fix and update ****. DAOC is still one of the best pvp MMOs just need some polish and hard work and funds. It'd be worth it imo. Cross your fingers!
    Asatruar - Ronnie 10 "
    Corpseshovel - Oldstanky - Nogvi

The reason people hate to PvP is they are afraid of failure
  • edited February 2020 PM
    EA rarely sells it's IPs. They are typically collected in large portfolios that solely exist to reassure investors of 'value.' I can almost guarantee that the appraised value of DAoC (done by some silly asset management company) is far higher than the total sum of all the money spent and earned by the game in it's entire history. The only likely way DAoC will escape EA's clutches is if EA itself folds. (See THQ as an example) I'm willing to bet if such a thing ever occurs that an asian MMO company will quickly seize the IP and turn it into some horrific grind pay2win game.

Bit off topic but semi related to how absurd the IP appraisal industry is: I was hired to develop a website for a semi-popular line of cartoon character from the 80s and early 90s that's IP was for sale. The appraised value of the character group was estimated to be $800 million to $ 1 billion USD. These characters haven't been used in a commercial sense since 1994 and even then was used as Burger King toys and a very short-lived TV show. That being said, I suspect DAoC's sale value is probably some completely absurd figure that is no where close to reality.
    Post edited by Ciddire on
  • Also you have to worry about Origin as well, I have no idea how they plan on getting onto Steam but Origin is pretty anal about that. I wish you could buy it, I would offer my assistance for free and im sure many others would as well. I think the game is in a good spot, it just needs advertising. Putting this game as a f2p under the Steam MMO's I think would be the biggest win that could happen, no advertisement needed in that case.
    Movarts wrote: »
    Also you have to worry about Origin as well, I have no idea how they plan on getting onto Steam but Origin is pretty anal about that. I wish you could buy it, I would offer my assistance for free and im sure many others would as well. I think the game is in a good spot, it just needs advertising. Putting this game as a f2p under the Steam MMO's I think would be the biggest win that could happen, no advertisement needed in that case.

EA owns Origin. Recently, EA has released they would be placing some of their games on Steam again. This opens a window for DAoC to be placed on Steam which would do more for the game than any social media ad ever could. That said, it's an old game. Few will want to pay for a sub at its current price point, especially those who play multiple MMOs. That's why it was essential for EC to be an attractive model if the goal was to increase the population. The recent producer letter makes it seem like BS plans on addressing some major qualms with EC but fails to add anything to subs which is a major pitfall in the current model.
    Post edited by Tyrantanic on
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Also you have to worry about Origin as well, I have no idea how they plan on getting onto Steam but Origin is pretty anal about that. I wish you could buy it, I would offer my assistance for free and im sure many others would as well. I think the game is in a good spot, it just needs advertising. Putting this game as a f2p under the Steam MMO's I think would be the biggest win that could happen, no advertisement needed in that case.

EA owns Origin. Recently, EA has released they would be placing some of their games on Steam again. This opens a window for DAoC to be placed on Steam which would do more for the game than any social media ad ever could. That said, it's an old game. Few will want to pay for a sub at its current price point, especially those who play multiple MMOs. That's why it was essential for EC to be an attractive model if the goal was to increase the population. The recent producer letter makes it seem like BS plans on addressing some major qualms with EC but fails to add anything to subs which is a major pitfall in the current model.

Totally agreed.

The only real thing we get is the monthly Bug Pot (which kinda sucks past RR8), and we have zero of the restrictions that EC has currently.
    Listen to the people - they will guide you..
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »

Totally agreed.

The only real thing we get is the monthly Bug Pot (which kinda sucks past RR8), and we have zero of the restrictions that EC has currently.

Wrong. EC accounts get 1/4 of the amount of RPs per kill with zero RP bonuses (aka bugganes, guild buff, etc.) I'm pretty sure even the Bonuses your realm got from outpost/keep ownership didn't even apply when I came back as EC... So as a subbed player you automatically get ~4x more RPs per kill BASE, plus bugganes and all other bonuses...

This alone made it worth subbing for me. at the current RPs awarded for EC accounts If it took a subscribed player 1 year to hit RR12 with all the bonuses, it would take the same player 5-10 years to do the same thing as EC account...

That right there is you're $15, if you're wondering...

Also, BPs earned are about 2x or more for subscribed accounts versus EC...

THIS IS WHY i SAY GET RID OF ALL OTHER RESTRICTIONS because anyone likes this game is going to subscribe if they play end-game RvR. It's literally a win-win for all of us. Subscribed accounts get population, EC accounts get everything but have severely reduced RPs/BPs (let them @$%ing play 1-49 for free who the hell cares just get them in the game
  • What about crafting and housing? what if someone is more of a rogue type of player? what if they just want to play a certain race and class?
    It is not too difficult to make DAoC great again, all it takes are a few good steps into the right direction. The big question is: will you find developers who are capable of transforming the game properly?

People always forget that game design is something that requires a lot of skill and experience. Sitting there and being like: "Well of course this ability is too powerful, why didn't they know that?!" is simple. Sitting there having nothing but your mind and having to come up with an ability in the first place that fits the class, fits the game, fits PvP and yet is somehow balanced considering thousands of other abilities from all other classes, including all items, procs, and situationals... well that's not easy.

Even the most experienced DAoC players usually have a very biased view on the game, but you actually need someone who has played all realms and all classes and knows them down to their very core, yet is completely neutral when it comes to change things... That is not how human beings work.

So even with millions of dollars there is no guarantee that the game is going to become better just because you throw money at it.
    Post edited by Menos on
  • The biggest mistake i see if they only go by the words of a few IRC friends about problems and dont talk to the actual community so your seeing changes that they want and not what the game needs