should BS have polls about major changes to the game before patches

BS has time and time again done unpopular and negative changes to the game with patches.

if they want to change 'something', should they do a poll in front for them to get feedback ?
Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.

Comments

• The question is, would they honestly listen to the feedback from the polls?
  • Something something EA. Something something publicly traded.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • I agree with the original statement. Sometimes changes in patches tend to have major flaws or side impact thats the playerbase would have foreseen. So i'd say yes doing polls is a good thing to do (and sometimes they do even do them)

The thing with polls is, you'll get a plethora of different opinions, all of them more or less biased towards that persons playstyle/realm, whatever. Just look at what suggestions out there for an alternative ruleset. There are hundreds,

Another thing is the use of Pendragon. To some extent, that is what the test server is for. I dont go there often, but when i do, i dont see many folks around. Maybe some mechanisms are there but we (players) dont use them sufficiently. Is it possible to have more incentives to test stuff at pendragon?

I remember being a volunteer testing ToA on the then test server. Man, good times, believe it or not :-)
  • edited December 2019 PM
    Debatable these days unsure of what's the best way ahead. Polls have been typically well hidden inside of an emailed newsletters which is circa 90's / early 2000's technology. The feedback is pretty biased as you can see where that's landed us so far. The current pbaoe changes is a nightmare, but they have only nerfed down the MOC primer for warlock's and "adjusted" the warlock's 50 spell pbaoe.
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • It dosent
    Matter what you say on these forums the only people they listen to is a select few on the internal boards unfortunetly it is a very narrow cross section of a certain type of player and player base that they listen to.
    Anything you post here is not listened too or ridiculed by vested interests so what you get is what the game has become a low population niche game with no hope of improvement in the future just suck it up because it ain’t gonna get any better
    Merry Xmas !
  • No - for a couple of reasons

1. people will be too biased regarding favorite class/realm
    2. BS does what it wants. It would be a waste of time and give us false hope.
  • Kat wrote: »

describes 92% of the one-eyed blind posters in some of these threads. I mean good feedback is priceless, continuous whinging with zero content is just tiring for yourself and the readers.

actually seeing you guys still think its abilties, buffs, changes, nerfs that are making you /release. 90% of the time you would still be /releasing against the same players regardless.
  • @Brut agree with you, but we would have to say zergers won the last patch... Completely destroyed any other kind of playstyle.
  • KatKat
    edited December 2019 PM
    tald wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »

describes 92% of the one-eyed blind posters in some of these threads. I mean good feedback is priceless, continuous whinging with zero content is just tiring for yourself and the readers.

actually seeing you guys still think its abilties, buffs, changes, nerfs that are making you /release. 90% of the time you would still be /releasing against the same players regardless.

That is actually not true at all. For example, the changes to the archer's rr5 completely changed the dynamics. The ranger rr5 is way to OP. And without the old hunter rr5, my deaths to the zergers has doubled. There are valid reasons most of the stuff BS has put in the game has had to be modified.

Post edited by Kat on

That is actually not true at all. For example, the changes to the archer's rr5 completely changed the dynamics. The ranger rr5 is way to OP.

It could be argued the change to the hunter RR5 only had a dynamic impact to a certain spec/play-style but I see where you are trying to go with it.
    It would be nice if they would pick some players that represent not just a certain class but a certain play-style for each of the classes. I.E. Minstrel-get a solo, stealth, 8 man perspective when it comes to changes.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • KatKat
    edited December 2019 PM
    Dreamscape wrote: »

That is actually not true at all. For example, the changes to the archer's rr5 completely changed the dynamics. The ranger rr5 is way to OP.

It could be argued the change to the hunter RR5 only had a dynamic impact to a certain spec/play-style but I see where you are trying to go with it.
    It would be nice if they would pick some players that represent not just a certain class but a certain play-style for each of the classes. I.E. Minstrel-get a solo, stealth, 8 man perspective when it comes to changes.

Though I know I have beat this horse into the ground...my intent in this post really is to just give a specific example of how BS's changes can absolutely be game changers. Another example, giving speed to other classes. I used to be able to zephyr the speed class, and get away from groups. Now...too much speed in groups and the ability to get away has dropped dramatically. Currently.....sins were nerfed. I highly doubt they would agree with Tald's assertion that they are only dying to the same people

And.....ranger rr5 is op to all pet classes, not just hunter :)
    Post edited by Kat on

Though I know I have beat this horse into the ground...my intent in this post really is to just give a specific example of how BS's changes can absolutely be game changers. Another example, giving speed to other classes. I used to be able to zephyr the speed class, and get away from groups. Now...too much speed in groups and the ability to get away has dropped dramatically. Currently.....sins were nerfed. I highly doubt they would agree with Tald's assertion that they are only dying to the same people

And.....ranger rr5 is op to all pet classes, not just hunter :)

Not to mention if you actually do get away, it seems everyone has SL and it's only a matter of time before /release.
  • tald wrote: »

I don't disagree with your assessment regarding the remaining player base. But changes during the Broadsword era reduced the population to the point where even the "good" players are gone. That, itself, screams these changes span more than just "git gud".
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Years ago they did the podcasts and a bunch of participated in them hoping that the thoughts shared would be listened to. BS basically did the opposite of what people were saying. Go back and watch them on youtube, it's funny now.
  • Years ago they did the podcasts and a bunch of participated in them hoping that the thoughts shared would be listened to. BS basically did the opposite of what people were saying. Go back and watch them on youtube, it's funny now.

I rather enjoyed the assassin's podcast B)
  • Im just waiting for the classic server with hopefully they left it just the way it was
  • For some things it would be good if there was a vote. For example on the new server you could vote...OF/NF?....ToA yes/no? Just make a vote ingame, where everyone can participate.
    You dont have to justify anything afterwards, because majority of people did decide. Thats pretty fair.

For other things there should be no vote. Like...more rps/less rps....its clear what the result here is, makes no sense to vote. Thats something they should decide (but they still should listen to feedback).
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    Debatable these days unsure of what's the best way ahead. Polls have been typically well hidden inside of an emailed newsletters which is circa 90's / early 2000's technology. The feedback is pretty biased as you can see where that's landed us so far. The current pbaoe changes is a nightmare, but they have only nerfed down the MOC primer for warlock's and "adjusted" the warlock's 50 spell pbaoe.

warlocks were the victim of the pbaoe changes imho.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
    No - for a couple of reasons

2. BS does what it wants. It would be a waste of time and give us false hope.

agree on the part that bs doesn't listen to it's player base to large extent. they do what they want. they think they know better.

about favoritism in class / realm : i play limited classes, i know about those classes, so i tend to be vocal about those classes. warlocks and savages were not popular when i started playing them. but since then, savages and curse warlocks have been in general nerfed.

That is actually not true at all. For example, the changes to the archer's rr5 completely changed the dynamics. The ranger rr5 is way to OP. And without the old hunter rr5, my deaths to the zergers has doubled. There are valid reasons most of the stuff BS has put in the game has had to be modified.

that's my point exactly. BS changes some stuff seemingly at random with huge impacts on the game. some of those changes would have never been done. if they would have announced it beforehand people would have pointed out the flaws in it.

instead we go through massive changes with unforeseen consequences that result in them changing other things to compensate for their changes instead of reverting their initial changes.
  • Dreamscape wrote: »

i think my play style represents all play styles. i join and i lead bg's, i play fg, i play small man, i solo. i do everything the game has to offer. i think all those play styles have a place in the game.

but when i comment on classes, i obliviously have a bias towards the classes i play all the time. i have experience with savages, warlocks, ice wizards, shamans. the other classes i play in all the realms don't allows me to be a expert on commenting on those classes

they think they know better. we have seen the effect on population.
  • Yes :)
    bc0zkd9vovhz.jpg
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • Muylae wrote: »

i think my play style represents all play styles. i join and i lead bg's, i play fg, i play small man, i solo. i do everything the game has to offer. i think all those play styles have a place in the game.

but when i comment on classes, i obliviously have a bias towards the classes i play all the time. i have experience with savages, warlocks, ice wizards, shamans. the other classes i play in all the realms don't allows me to be a expert on commenting on those classes

Nothing about playing stealth, argument is invalid.
    :p
  • Dreamscape wrote: »
    Muylae wrote: »

Nothing about playing stealth, argument is invalid.
    :p

i have a rr 8L3 hunter, ok, it's been a while since i played him ;)