Friday Grab Bag - 02/01/2019

Welcome to the first Grab bag of 2019!

Our first newsletter of the year went out yesterday, and you can view it here. Don't forget to sign up to get our newsletter in your inbox as soon as it's released!

As always, thanks everyone for your questions, keep 'em coming! You can send in any game related questions you have for our DAoC Devs through our Grab Bag submission form. Please note this is for game mechanic questions. Feedback/ideas/suggestions should be sent in through our feedback form.

I play a mauler and I am spending my points a little more unorthodox than most. To make a long story short I am putting 18 points in staff and 44 points in aura specialization. That will result in me having a rank of gift of Hibernia that is too high to use with my staff rank.
My concern is whether or not I will be able to cast a lower rank of that ability by default, despite having a higher rank unlocked so that it doesn't penalize me for putting additional points into aura specialization

I know in the past we had access to lower ranking spells, but now they automatically overwrite one another, and with this specific mechanic, there is that possible negative effect. I am wondering if that issue was overlooked or intentional.
Thank you so much!

Currently, no, only the highest ranked version of the spell is available as you specialize into Aura Manipulation. This was done to strongly encourage Aura Manipulation and Mauler Staff specializations to be raised in tandem.

However, this is certainly something we can look at changing going forward and allow the lower versions of the Gift-spells to remain in the spell list as Aura Manipulation is trained up. As always, we welcome additional feedback on the matter!

I’m trying to farm Icy Rock Paralyzer in laby for weeks now, killing all mobs that I’ve found on various sites as mobs that drop it over and over, but none have dropped it. Does it still drop and from which mob?

Yes, the Icy Rock Paralyzer shield still drops on all 3 realms. I

t has a very small chance to drop from almost any ‘Named’ monster in the Labyrinth. However, in Albion and Midgard, Prelate Quietus II is your best bet to obtain it and in Hibernia, Tiller Prime Peche has an equally high chance. Don’t forget that a list of monsters that drop a given item is freely available within our official Item Database!

When running with BGs it seems like there can be a lot of players ditching the “losing team” and joining the “winning team” Is there anything you can tell us about anything in the works to deter realm hopping/jumping on the band wagon and promote more true RvR action? For example the idea of a realm timer has been floating around.

Realm balance is an important topic that our development team has and continues to discuss at length.

As we’ve mentioned in previous updates, we are planning to have an RvR population balancing system that replaces the current Dynamic Population Bonus system with the launch of the Endless Conquest update. Whether that is a new ‘Realm Loyalty’ system that offers account-wide rewards for sticking to a single realm *in RvR* (PvEing on other realms wouldn’t interfere) for certain lengths of time or another, more active population balancing system specific to the Frontier regions remains to be seen!

At this time, we have no plans to bring back realm login timers.

How is the 25% reduction to blocking from dual wield applied?
I.e. if my rate of block is 40%, is my rate reduced to 15% or 30% (25% less than 40%?)

The 25% reduction to blocking bonus from dual-wielded attacks reduces the target’s block rate by 25%, it does not subtract 25% from their block rate %value. In the example given, it is the latter: a block rate of 40% is reduced to a 30% rate when facing a dual-wielded attack.

For testing purposes and context: this dual wield bonus is applied to the mainhand and offhand swings separately. Meaning if a swing test of 1,000 is performed, the 25% dual wield reduction bonus can be seen when looking at the number of blocks on the mainhand OR offhand swings; but tallying up the total number of blocks from both mainhand and offhand swings would not give an accurate account of block rate.

Using the same example above, if there is a 40% block rate before the dual wield bonus, each of the mainhand and offhand swings will get blocked 30% of the time (benefiting from the 25% reduction bonus), but 60% of the time at least one of the mainhand or offhand swing will be blocked.

Hello, I have a question about certain savage's Hand to Hand styles procs, in particular:

Kelgor's Bane: Increases your parry chance by 7.0% for one combat round
Kelgor's Claw: Increases your evade chance by 15.0% for one combat round
Tribal Wrath: Increases your parry chance by 25.0% for one combat round

How does this evade and parry chance bonuses works? Do they stack with Savagery's selfbuffs? Do they last just until the next attack?

Yes, these bonuses only last one enemy attack round and are essentially added on to any other parry and evade bonuses that are active but will not exceed the caps to parry or evade chance.

Thanks, all!
Remember the Ghost Keep event ends February 6th, so don't miss the fun and rewards!
Enjoy the weekend :)

Click here to visit the DAoC Herald!
DAoC Community Lead
Broadsword Online Games
Tagged:

Comments

• still no realm timers, but when BS dont listen, we must make him listen, so i will be the NeXT to not renew my accounts, in EU primetime there is nothing to kill (only 20-23) its time to bring back dopplers for EU time Still no fixing of eploiders bucking in to keeps maybe the most used ram bug exploit. some bug was used at gk Friday evening (but why use time to make a report it leads to nothing), but seems BS dont care anymore. Still tons og bugs but all the talk about is f2p but as i read it it will not increase the poppulation on ywain servers but get there own server. My best advise is make it free to play for all eu players the poppulation is a joke
  • Monthly Poll

This month's poll is about our main DAoC website, the Herald https://www.darkageofcamelot.com Please select one option from those below.

Q. How often do you visit darkageofcamelot.com?

- Every Day
    - More than once a week
    - A few times a month
    - Very rarely
    - The what?
  • As we’ve mentioned in previous updates, we are planning to have an RvR population balancing system that replaces the current Dynamic Population Bonus system with the launch of the Endless Conquest update. Whether that is a new ‘Realm Loyalty’ system that offers account-wide rewards for sticking to a single realm *in RvR* (PvEing on other realms wouldn’t interfere) for certain lengths of time or another, more active population balancing system specific to the Frontier regions remains to be seen!

I sure dont hope its going to be a realm loyalty system, why ? Let me explain what i fear.

Example:
    Currently during EU hours, Hero got a huge BG running on hib, Alb pretty much got no BG during EU and Mid got one on and off it seems.

Where would be a smart place for people to build up a loyalty reward / bonus ? I would guess the safe bet would be most would go to Hib.

I personally dont see a system like this fixing anything, to me it seem like in the example above Hib would just grow in pop, and people would have no reason to join the underpopulated side, cause not only will they be fighting against the odds, but they would also lose a loyalty bonus, so whats the point.

Then again maybe im wrong.

• Yea kinda wondering that myself why swap to fight hero when your gaining rps afk healing and also ‘realm loyalty’.

Full disclosure I like to run with Hero at times.
  • No realm timer, instead a system that may possibly hurt even more. Not sure how it will work, but if reward is good, it's not only a lock-out for little time, but makes ppl safebet on the strongest realm overall, even making harder for less popular realms with less consistent leaders around.

Basically saying go stay loyal to the strongest, since you loose benefit's if you want to play other realms too. At the moment people at least only jump if they end up on loosing side, or to make harder to get relics, now we ask them that they shouldn't even risk a death because you loose loyalty. Not a fan of the idea really, saying as someone who plays 1 realm.

Why we so against anything that's not complicated, have less risks etc. Yes I mean Realm Timers.

Hope I be wrong.
  • edited February 2019 PM
    I mean Realm Pride is not something that can be bought, who has it, doesnt have it because of benefits.

Yeah sure, they might get something out of the system, but as I example I see it that way:

Right now:
    Player loggs his Wizard because he likes it, have some Alb friends too, they wipe 3 times because of numbers, he get pissed, loggs to Hib lets say on Hero times.

After:
    Don't even risk, stay in Hib, you don't want to loose that precious Loyalty buff right? Yes it was easier anyway, but now even more RP!

At least I see some risks here, feels like over-complicating something to make it fail-safe. With realm Timers player just rethinks if he should log immediately, since he wouldn't be able to join other side for 30 mins or whatever, but I don't see the pressure there.

Once again, be happy to proven wrong once it's out.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • Welcome to the first Grab bag of 2019!

fail again

• Some questions in game as to why Block isn't reduced in half by dual wield. That mechanic left in like patch 1.87 or so but....

Patch 1.109 added it back in, with a twist:

All players who are wielding two weapons will now reduce their target’s chance to block or evade by 25%.