Timelmit on switching Realms

There probably talk of adding a time-limit on switching Realm. Make it like 30-min at less to 3 hour max.

With Endless conquest I think there should be a time limit on switching.

Comments

• Rewards work better than punishments. 10% bonus to rps each day logging into only one realm. Up to 150%
  • Even if Alb has 85% RP bonus no one is going there on EU prime. So rewards are probably not the way to go.

And with the current population a timer to switch realms would do more harm then good though. The problem is that ppl arent willing to lose more than 1 time nowadays, so if their zerg dies they just join the winner team. If you implement a timer on switching they will most likely just log off instead of staying in their realm and die again.
    Daoc Moderator

Join the official Daoc Discord: >> HERE <<
    Subscribe to the Newsletter: >> HERE <<
    Join our Devs/Knights on Twitch: >> HERE <<

Your Thread was closed to early? Feel free to PM me !
  • With healthy population I'm all for these types of incentives. Problem is a lot of us switch to create action. If there are a ton of mid groups out, and my group logs on mid, we will switch to hib/alb to make sure there are fights.

With an unhealthy population, I worry that it will just make the imbalances worse.
  • Why do you want to add a timer? is it so people cannot cross-realm? because they dont log in and switch to another realm and then go back and forth, they log into mid, but in ventrilo with hibs. I keep hearing the timer fixes cross realming but it doesnt. If thats not why you want a timer, please tell us
  • BTW im not saying hibs cross realm, i was just giving an example
  • Then leave if you don't want to join a losing realm. I'm also not saying make the time limit huge.
    Let say Mid saying lets attack a tower or keep. Mid starts doing tthat, then 1/3 to half the bg logs and switch Alb instead of taking the keep. Why, because you want pvp?
    How about you stay loyal to a realm in War. What you do in your free time go for it but in war it about who you are loyal to.
  • Silvers wrote: »
    Then leave if you don't want to join a losing realm. I'm also not saying make the time limit huge.
    Let say Mid saying lets attack a tower or keep. .

hehe doesnt happen anymore :D but realm loyalty is gone, with the days of classic and no artifacts and such...i cannot play anything but mid but thats because i dont like how all the races look or how they run or whatever, i just cant play them like i cant play any of the bull races...BUT maybe some needs a change every now and then? Hopz gave a great example, because of him and his group they keep the action going
  • Penalties don't work as well as inectives IMO.

It's also incredibly easy to just pick up your cell phone nowadays, turn on your wireless hotspot, and blamo - you've got another IP address to cross realm with.
  • Budikah wrote: »
    Penalties don't work as well as inectives IMO.

It's also incredibly easy to just pick up your cell phone nowadays, turn on your wireless hotspot, and blamo - you've got another IP address to cross realm with.

Let them but a good lot of people don't have a everything plan with wifi. I don't unless I want it to cost arm n leg in billing. Also would it be account bound not ip?
    There need no Penalties. It a small time limit to stop people starting stuff then switch to a winning realm with a flick of a click.
  • no its IP bound, back when they did have a realm only or a timer, you actually had to wait
  • I hate the idea of timers on switching realms but could be fine if it was like 10-15 minutes I guess.

I just see so many downsides with it and almost no plus sides. Often there are no groups roaming in enemy realms but so many in your own realm and you have to switch to get action. It will also be a huge problem if you are planing to join a raid at a certain hour or if someone tells you that you that they need you for 8 man on discord.
    Being able to switch realms freely is one of my favourite things about modern DAoC, not sure I would even keep playing if they removed that.
  • I see no problem when people change realms at any time. Anymore, I'm nonplussed when people play 2(or 3) realms at the same time.
  • edited May 2018 PM
    timers have never, and will never work. Example: 2004 I had hibs, mids, and albs on nimue. I switched between realms all I wanted because each realm was on a different account. Now I have 4 accounts, add whatever timer you want I will still switch at will.
    Post edited by Badnagen on
  • While I still like a 10-15 min timer on realm switching. I guess when Endless conquest, it wont matter as you can just make a free account on a whim.
    Who give a f about action. I rather take stuff instead of fighting people. I want to siege, not 8v8 a steather group.
    Badnagen wrote: »
    timers have never, and will never work. Example: 2004 I had hibs, mids, and albs on nimue. I switched between realms all I wanted because each realm was on a different account. Now I have 4 accounts, add whatever timer you want I will still switch at will.

So you are paying about 100$ a month. 15$ plus tax - 1 month per account "4".?
    Also, it did work. It call realm loyal which DAoC dont have anymore and we all stuck on 1 server instead of 30.
  • realm loyalty wasnt there cause of the timer, it was there because that was the attitude back then. Like take WoW for example, they have lost all their what used to be faction loyalty because games change, its not anything with just daoc, its just how games are...they get easier over time because people always whine how hard it is, then 15 years later they whine about how easy it is...all games do that
  • Yet another classic discussion dividing the camps into the loyalists and the realm hoppers. Which side, if they quit playing as a result of a short implementation of a RT, would likely result then in the resubbing of other ex-players, to make up the lost subs ?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Founder/GM of Ásatrúar, guild of Miðgarðr
    In defense of the Original Spirit of Daoc
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    True to Miðgarðr c.2001
    daocutils.com/chimp/jlfrthjo
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • As a long time player (almost day 1) with some down times, I'm an advocate of loyalty to your realm and would love to see realm timers established, hell I'd be willing to see a 24hr timer. :)
    Caomhnóir an Nàdair
  • @Silvers The amount of data most games use when played using your phone is incredibly negligable for the most part, unless you have literally no data with your plan and pay for any useage, which is rare nowadays. You'll eat up more data doing just about anything else on your phone.

Point was overall, that IP restrictions are made moot to many people nowadays.

*If* this was going to be changed I think allowing xfers without losing your bonus/being penalized to underpopulated sides would be a good thing to hinge this on.

As in - you get a building loyalty bonus (maybe) and if you switch to a realm that is underpopulated, you don't lose it. That way you can switch and find fights on underpopulated realms, while slightly discouraging people from hopping onto overpopulated sides.

All of this is tricky though. People want to PvE. I've personally considered doing Curse on one realm and trading because my realm only seems to do it on workdays...

It's such a complex web it's honestly probably better left alone unless an idea that knocks it out of the park comes through.
  • Hopz wrote: »
    With healthy population I'm all for these types of incentives. Problem is a lot of us switch to create action. If there are a ton of mid groups out, and my group logs on mid, we will switch to hib/alb to make sure there are fights.

With an unhealthy population, I worry that it will just make the imbalances worse.

In my opinion I see this as creating people to log off because of this. I see it all the time in an 8 man taking a keep and then realizing another 8 man from the same realm logs off and then comes back as 8 man on a different realm to fight the 8 man taking the keep. You say it creates action when I see people getting flamed about it and just logs off and kills the action. Thus creating lower population. There should be a timer on switching because of this, I would even suggest 10 mins. So the the battle or keep take is not affected by this.
  • TiaSkip wrote: »
    Hopz wrote: »
    With healthy population I'm all for these types of incentives. Problem is a lot of us switch to create action. If there are a ton of mid groups out, and my group logs on mid, we will switch to hib/alb to make sure there are fights.

In my opinion I see this as creating people to log off because of this. I see it all the time in an 8 man taking a keep and then realizing another 8 man from the same realm logs off and then comes back as 8 man on a different realm to fight the 8 man taking the keep. You say it creates action when I see people getting flamed about it and just logs off and kills the action. Thus creating lower population. There should be a timer on switching because of this, I would even suggest 10 mins. So the the battle or keep take is not affected by this.

Pretty damn sure he was talking about roaming action. 8 mans generally don´t go for keeps unless the action sucks.
    Yes, being able to switch realms is more or less a must these days in DAoC to keep roaming action going. It´s way too often that I run around as mid and every other group roaming is mids. The only time when realm hopping is not a must to create action is during primetime hours.
  • edited May 2018 PM
    See I still disagree with that. Saying its a "Yes, being able to switch realms is more or less a must these days in DAoC to keep roaming action going" I feel you were given that option in the beginning right on the screen what the realm bonuses are for each realm. So if you are a "roaming group to provide action" why did you come to a realm with zero bonus over one that has 40% plus from the get go? Otherwise you are scoping out what is going on in region, chat and checking out what is in a group composites. Then hop over to another realm and know where, what and who you are fighting.. This is why there should be a timer in place. After you have selected a realm when you first signed on if you were to "jump to another realm" there should be a timer to prevent that 5 min, 10 mins.
    This is seen in NF and well as the Battlegrounds daily, and it is frustrating and causes the casual players "tier 1 or tier 2 " to log. Causing lower population on all three realms.

I am not talking about if you play Hib in the morning and switch to Mid or Alb during prime-time, and then take a break and come back on different realm in a 5 mins or a few hours. Because the time is already transpired.

I am talking about the switching from one realm to other and back and fourth that you see quite often. I get it,, you pay $15.00 plus a month for each account like I do to. And should be able to play entire content of the game and not be locked into 1/3 of it.

I am suggesting a 5 min before switching to prevent what I see as a major problem that is not being addressed. Also realm loyalty is not being rewarded, but constantly being under-minded as not being important and it is important. To say there is nothing to do on a realm when there are to many of the same realm members on when clearly there is so many quest/encounters/areas for gear and When this changed in the game you lost population.
    Post edited by TiaSkip on
  • edited May 2018 PM
    Not saying you directly but there is people who abuse this,
    Post edited by TiaSkip on
  • TiaSkip wrote: »
    TiaSkip wrote: »
    See I still disagree with that. Saying its a "Yes, being able to switch realms is more or less a must these days in DAoC to keep roaming action going" I see a lot people doing this and maybe not you directly but so many others are abusing it.

You were given that option in the beginning right on the screen what the realm bonuses are for each realm. So if you are a "roaming group to provide action" why did you come to a realm with zero bonus over one that has 40% plus from the get go? Otherwise you are scoping out what is going on in region, chat and checking out what is in a group composites. Then hop over to another realm and know where, what and who you are fighting.. This is why there should be a timer in place. After you have selected a realm when you first signed on if you were to "jump to another realm" there should be a timer to prevent that 5 min, at least. If you are "doing it for roam action taking a 5 min break before going to another realm. Why is it so crucial that you need switch realms less then a min? I feel most people take a break of even few mins before doing something else.
    This is seen in NF and well as the Battlegrounds daily, and it is frustrating and causes the casual players "tier 1 or tier 2 " to log. Causing lower population on all three realms.

I am not talking about if you play Hib in the morning and switch to Mid or Alb during prime-time, and then take a break and come back on different realm in a 5 mins or a few hours. Because the time is already transpired.

I am talking about the switching from one realm to other and back and fourth that you see quite often. I get it,, you pay $15.00 plus a month for each account like I do to. And should be able to play entire content of the game and not be locked into 1/3 of it.

I am suggesting a 5 min before switching to prevent what I see as a major problem that is not being addressed. Also realm loyalty is not being rewarded, but constantly being under-minded as not being important and it is important. To say there is nothing to do on a realm when there are to many of the same realm members on when clearly there is so many quest/encounters/areas for gear and When this changed in the game you lost population.

• there should be a realm rp loyalty bonus---

back when the game was truly great it was one realm per account....

hib igraine lol
  • It's sort of hard to reverse the trends that Mythic/Broadsword allowed to happen which put the game into it's current state. I see many people clamoring for realm loyalty and the like but the truth seems to be that Broadsword/Mythic designed that out of the game, likely unintentionally, and made changes/allowed things to happen that diminished the original core of what DAoC was once upon an early 2000's.

The other undeniable truth is that depending on how they implement the tech to do this - it'll be very easy to circumvent. Many people have VPNs nowadays, you can easily jack a laptop into your cell phone and use your mobile data as a whole new IP address to play from - DAoC takes very little data. Probably less than the smut you watch while sitting on the porcelain throne.

It's really hard to think of and brainstorm to solve anything when we really don't know how much Broadsword can/is willing to invest into the game and in which way. They seem wholely preoccupied with getting F2P out the door, but I think they've got quite a bit of housecleaning to do before the new guests arrive.
  • edited May 2018 PM
    I've been playing since 2003. Started out on Hib Borse and if I wanted to play a different realm I had to pick a different server. The Server population on Borse was always very heavy on the Mid side, Hib was the minority. It was a constant flow of RPs for us Hiblets and made us a tight group. We learned to work together as a realm and had tons of fun....until TOA .../shiver. That's not the case anymore. Now we have Alb peak, Mid peak and Hib peak, you can almost set your clock to it. I'm all for realm loyalty bonus, but you have to make it so juicy that people will not want to lose it. Say 200-300%.
    Post edited by Crits on