Pulsing Pet Charm is NOT affected by focal mythirian, based on my testing.

Question: Do focal mythirians affect the resist rate of the pulsing pet charm (pulses only; not initial cast)?

There are two contradictory answers to this question in previous grab bags:
This grab bag says that NO, focal mythirians do NOT affect pulsing pet charm; only the character's level and composite spec.
By contrast, this more recent grab bag says that Focal mythirians help on each pulse of a pulsing charm spell.

I wanted to test this to see whether it would benefit me to template a focal myth into my minstrel's template.

Test constants:
Level 50 minstrel
RR 8Lx
Composite instruments skill of 68 (50+18)
Master of Focus 3 (which brings level of pulsing charm up to 50)
Both the charmed pet and I were unbuffed (but I had speed song up)
Level [57] barguest (red con)
I did NOT measure the initial cast; only the proceeding pulses on the charmed pet.

Test variables:
Test 1: no focal mythirian
Test 2: Dragon Intellect mythirian (+3 mythical focus)
Test 3: Greater Focal mythirian (+6 mythical focus)

Results:

For test 1, with no focal mythirian, the barguest resisted 646 times out of 2,973 pulses. Resist rate: 21.73%

For test 2, with the +3 dragon intellect mythirian, the barguest resisted 622 times out of 2,866 pulses. Resist rate: 21.70%

For test 3, with the +6 greater focal mythirian, the barguest resisted 694 times out of 3,092 pulses. Resist rate: 22.45%

Conclusion: A focal mythirian has NO effect on a pulsing pet charm.

Based on the test results, there is no change in the pet's resist rate when charmed by a pulsing pet charm spell. In fact, the resist rate technically went up as I increased the level of mythical focus--however, all results were within a very small margin of error.

Regardless, if there is any difference at all, it was insufficient to show up in these tests after thousands of pulses. And certainly not significant enough to be a consideration when templating a minstrel or a mentalist.

The first grab bag response, from 2020, is correct.

(Other note: I didn't bother testing with/without MoF3 since I will spec MoF3 in any case to bring up the level of my insta stun and flute mez.)

Comments

• Do the same testing with sub 50 specced instruments. Specifically show me a composite that is ~55, like 45+10 or so, not 50+5

Then do the same testing with an orange con pet, like level 52 or so, but drop the composite down to 40 or so

The reasoning here is that you may be at a hard cap with your spec, in which case focus won't work, so it appears the 2020 answer is correct when in fact the focal myths open up possibilities to lower the instrument skill and still obtain quality charm rates

I do agree with you that the resist rate is statistically constant. As for it going up, I'd drop that completely as it could make people think that that really happens even though it's a statistical artifact.
  • Amurdora wrote: »
    Do the same testing with sub 50 specced instruments. Specifically show me a composite that is ~55, like 45+10 or so, not 50+5

Then do the same testing with an orange con pet, like level 52 or so, but drop the composite down to 40 or so

The reasoning here is that you may be at a hard cap with your spec, in which case focus won't work, so it appears the 2020 answer is correct when in fact the focal myths open up possibilities to lower the instrument skill and still obtain quality charm rates

I do agree with you that the resist rate is statistically constant. As for it going up, I'd drop that completely as it could make people think that that really happens even though it's a statistical artifact.

Good points. However I'm not going to spend any more time on it since realistically I'm always going to be at level 50, 50 music, and +11 instruments. Selfishly I'm only concerned about the factors that will affect my own minstrel XD

The main point was to determine whether I should template in some kind of focal mythirian (I have dragon intellect myth in my temp currently), and the clear answer is that I should template in something with much higher utility.
  • District wrote: »
    Amurdora wrote: »
    Do the same testing with sub 50 specced instruments. Specifically show me a composite that is ~55, like 45+10 or so, not 50+5

Good points. However I'm not going to spend any more time on it since realistically I'm always going to be at level 50, 50 music, and +11 instruments. Selfishly I'm only concerned about the factors that will affect my own minstrel XD

The main point was to determine whether I should template in some kind of focal mythirian (I have dragon intellect myth in my temp currently), and the clear answer is that I should template in something with much higher utility.

Given that, I think you've shown with high confidence that there is no effect. I just don't think that the GB has been shown to be wrong at this point. If someone wants to dig deeper into this I think it'd be useful as it could open up some spec opportunities for minstrels...maybe?
  • Amurdora wrote: »

I don't think thats how focal myth works. Focus only brings you to level 50. Focal myth can go above that. Spec above 50 only decreases variance (and is supposed to decrease resists for minstrel charm, at least that was the theory). I think that's the main takeaway here, that maybe its not working as intended.

• I've heard that the Minstrel pulse charm (and the ability for the Minstrel to hold higher con pets) is determined by Instrument + Realm Rank; years ago I heard that charisma also played a role. What's the determining factor?

For both the Minstrel and Mentalist pulse charms, the resistances to the charm pulses after their initial cast are only affected by the level of the character and their composite Instrument or Light specialization values. Having a maximum composite specialization level allows for fewer resistances and allows Minstrels and Mentalists the ability to charm higher level mobs. Charsima and Intelligence have no effect on the pulse charms’ resistance rates.

As an additional note, the Mastery of Focus realm ability also does not affect the resistance rates on the subsequent pulses of the charms but does affect the initial cast on the mob that starts the charm song.

https://darkageofcamelot.com/article/friday-grab-bag-08172018