If you’re thinking about reactivating don’t bother

Comments

• edited January 2021 PM
    I think something like 99.7% of people who once played the game don’t anymore. The reality is that the overall number of people who play is getting closer and closer to the final number. There are probably all sorts of creative things they could do in the meanwhile to give a little bit of life to the game for a time but I suspect that ship has sailed. It also doesn’t help that a significant amount of the player base that’s left feels the need to act in the weird role of “broadsword apologist” despite the fact that their track record is just bad. At any other company with this kind of continued loss you’d be fired.

Their saving grace is probably that they’re a small enough operation under the EA branch which causes them to go unnoticed. If it works like anything else I would guess they report to like one “higher up” guy every few months that oversees a number of projects who themselves don’t really care. It’ll probably take like one guy noticing DAoC on the books and taking a look into it for the project to be shut down from one day to the next.

Also, I could be mistaken on this point, but the mere fact of mentioning a particular freeshard by name being a bannable offense here indicates to me that higher ups that they report to are probably being purposefully kept in the dark about it. In other words, people who would be expected to know for legal reasons. I mean would you want your boss knowing if you were being outperformed 10 to 1 by a guy who is ripping off your already struggling product? Especially if it could mean the plug being pulled? Imagine telling your boss people like buying from the new guy more than you at that rate.

And for those complaining about 20 years of stuff going away with the launching of a new server (something I don’t think will happen), let’s be honest, if you’ve actually been in the game for that long you’ll stick around no matter what happens. And you’ll be apologizing for that server too if it’s a failure.
    Post edited by Ceiweth on
  • Ceiweth wrote: »
    I think something like 99.7% of people who once played the game don’t anymore. The reality is that the overall number of people who play is getting closer and closer to the final number. There are probably all sorts of creative things they could do in the meanwhile to give a little bit of life to the game for a time but I suspect that ship has sailed. It also doesn’t help that a significant amount of the player base that’s left feels the need to act in the weird role of “broadsword apologist” despite the fact that their track record is just bad. At any other company with this kind of continued loss you’d be fired.

Their saving grace is probably that they’re a small enough operation under the EA branch which causes them to go unnoticed. If it works like anything else I would guess they report to like one “higher up” guy every few months that oversees a number of projects who themselves don’t really care. It’ll probably take like one guy noticing DAoC on the books and taking a look into it for the project to be shut down from one day to the next.

Also, I could be mistaken on this point, but the mere fact of mentioning a particular freeshard by name being a bannable offense here indicates to me that higher ups that they report to are probably being purposefully kept in the dark about it. In other words, people who would be expected to know for legal reasons. I mean would you want your boss knowing if you were being outperformed 10 to 1 by a guy who is ripping off your already struggling product? Especially if it could mean the plug being pulled? Imagine telling your boss people like buying from the new guy more than you at that rate.

And for those complaining about 20 years of stuff going away with the launching of a new server (something I don’t think will happen), let’s be honest, if you’ve actually been in the game for that long you’ll stick around no matter what happens. And you’ll be apologizing for that server too if it’s a failure.

ive been hearing that this game was going to die since wow came out--:)
    also think that was about the same time as toa ...
  • I mean yeah it’s alive like blockbuster is alive I guess
  • Game was once ahead of its time tbh but those days are over. I see they’re still spreading falsities about a “new server” that’s supposedly in the works but tbh they’ve been saying that for years. The Manhattan project was completed in 3 years. They’ve been pretending to work on that revival server for twice that time at least. People always fall for it tho
  • The last thing they said, is that their plans on a new server are quite concrete now.
    The question is only, when will it come. In 1 year, 2 years, 3 years,.... no one knows.
  • Imho, the game is in a good place when it comes to class balance. There have been changes that have been really good. Unfortunately, no one but the handful of people left playing know that. And the population is so low, its just boring to log in, unless you want to join a zerg. There isn't any incentive for any other play style anymore.

• Kat wrote: »
    Imho, the game is in a good place when it comes to class balance. There have been changes that have been really good. Unfortunately, no one but the handful of people left playing know that. And the population is so low, its just boring to log in, unless you want to join a zerg. There isn't any incentive for any other play style anymore.

you must be joking, please tell me thats sarcasm.. please please....

There is NOT ANY balance in that game.
    And that IS IN FACT the reason why nobody plays anymore.

Mahv
  • edited January 2021 PM
    Mahvash wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    Imho, the game is in a good place when it comes to class balance. There have been changes that have been really good. Unfortunately, no one but the handful of people left playing know that. And the population is so low, its just boring to log in, unless you want to join a zerg. There isn't any incentive for any other play style anymore.

you must be joking, please tell me thats sarcasm.. please please....

There is NOT ANY balance in that game.
    And that IS IN FACT the reason why nobody plays anymore.

Mahv

He ain't jokin he a delusional daoc'er lol. Part of the problem. People will NEVER get it. LIke OP said, 99% of people or whatever it is are now gone. These people think 99% of people who don't want a product anymore are somehow dumber than the 1%. That's not how it works. The 1% are just a small group of people who have nothing else but daoc and the game will continue to decline as its remade in their image.

And the problem is in no way that people aren’t aware of the game anymore. The freeshards have successfully attracted a player base in the thousands. You mean to tell me the 1500+ players that are always logged in there at prime time everyday for years now simply aren’t aware of all the amazing class balance in live? Please
    Post edited by Grizlie on
  • KatKat
    edited January 2021 PM
    Actually, I am not. I come and go from daoc often. And I have had many complaints over the years about the game. I quit for almost two years due to issues I had with the game (npc/player disappearing bug), but came back this time last year. Not playing much now, but that is due to population. Been playing other games.

But yes, class balance is better then it has been in a while, besides melee necros :P I have no idea who either of you are...but have you played recently? What are your main toons name's? For the last few years, I have mainly played a hunter named kattlyrique.

I mean, if you want to complain about something, try the fact that the game is stale and doac doesnt do much to incentivize people to keep playing. For example, recent patch puts in new week quests. Really? zzzzzzzzzzz
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Coming from EU the server now feels like how it felt when they pulled the plug on those servers.
  • Casual players got raw deal last few years. More and more focused on grouping. Enforced patches to promote a skill over numbers.

Great in theory.

• edited January 2021 PM
    Casual players got raw deal last few years. More and more focused on grouping. Enforced patches to promote a skill over numbers.

Great in theory.

Lol what are you talking about? The life of this game thats left exists in the people stuck to herorius for 3 hours a day and those are "casual" players, not in the group of 20+ year veteran/wannabe twitch streamers. If herorius stopped logging in tomorrow I'd guarantee the game's death this year. BS cant pay its employees if its relying on IRC to keep borrowing 15 dollars every month from their parents SS checks lmao

The raw deal comes not from what they HAVE done but rather from what they haven’t.
  • Grizlie wrote: »
    Casual players got raw deal last few years. More and more focused on grouping. Enforced patches to promote a skill over numbers.

Great in theory.

Lol what are you talking about? The life of this game thats left exists in the people stuck to herorius for 3 hours a day and those are "casual" players, not in the group of 20+ year veteran/wannabe twitch streamers. If herorius stopped logging in tomorrow I'd guarantee the game's death this year. BS cant pay its employees if its relying on IRC to keep borrowing 15 dollars every month from their parents SS checks lmao

The raw deal comes not from what they HAVE done but rather from what they haven’t.

I think you would be surprised to see how many people returned to the game if Herorius stopped playing. But as it stands he won't and that's okay too. Many have learned to work around him and his playstyle/hours. Worst part is the cutting of ports.
  • edited January 2021 PM
    Idk bumbles you may be right. But as the game currently stands I see a semblance of life still present in it when he’s on. But that seems to disappear within an hour of him getting off. Zerging is not really that appealing to me as the fights are kind of stale but the community of people involved in it is pretty cool. I used to rag on the guy a lot for it at one point but I’ve sort of come to appreciate hero. He indirectly or directly offers returning players a home and there are a lot of potential returning players out there waiting for the right experience to get hooked again for a while.
  • I have never got this servers fascination with cutting ports. You need ports for action, and without action whats the point...player base has to get wise to creating action, not cutting it.

As for Herorius, the worst thing about him is he wants to stomp around the frontiers unopposed and if he isn't going to win he isn't interested.
  • Players are more concerned about earning RPs than having good fights. Hero is more concerned about winning every fight than having a good fight. This is the mentality that dominates the server. Too many players dodge unless it's a steam roll and it becomes stale real fast.
  • I am sure there are some that will come on here and say they are only playing the game as designed but unfortunately the play style of the player base is ultimately self defeating.
    Idk bumbles you may be right. But as the game currently stands I see a semblance of life still present in it when he’s on. But that seems to disappear within an hour of him getting off. Zerging is not really that appealing to me as the fights are kind of stale but the community of people involved in it is pretty cool. I used to rag on the guy a lot for it at one point but I’ve sort of come to appreciate hero. He indirectly or directly offers returning players a home and there are a lot of potential returning players out there waiting for the right experience to get hooked again for a while.

When Hero got banned in the last Caledonia event, it really brought a dose of fresh air to the RvR scene. People logged on alb/mid, had ports, actually could enjoy themselves RvRing.

Then his ban ended and it all went to hell.

Or when Hero says that he won't zerg anymore because there aren't any opposing zergs, tries to run 16, goes right back to zerging the hell our of empty keeps 2 days after.

Same goes with all play styles. When Xuu's group stops playing, you have all these 8 mans magically appearing and running around in the frontier.

People don't enjoy losing over and over.
  • Difference is, Xuu's group ran drafts to get more balanced groups out 8v8ing. They even run terrible setups when they roam (running stealthers and such). Herorius will form a zerg whenever he dies and even then he'll bring from a semi fair keep fight
  • The fact that IRC is this regularly mentioned shows how far gone the game is tho. Population is so bad they make up such a significant portion of the newly concentrated player base. Didn’t used to be mentioned at all other than in 8v8 circles. As far as herorius is concerned tho... I mean... from a simplistic sense at least he gives people a home which is good for the game. You can either be welcomed by that guy and whatever experience comes with it no matter how stale OR get picked up by some 8v8 group and told how bad you are before you’re never grouped again.
  • Don't forget it's a zero sum game. If you're winning, someone else is losing. That's what happens with the Hero zerg during EU prime: straight steam roll. It's great that new players find his Zerg welcoming but does nothing to actually keep players from the other realms playing. Once you have nothing to fight, there's really no point in playing DAoC. So it really is self defeating to jump on the Hero bandwagon.
  • Difference is, Xuu's group ran drafts to get more balanced groups out 8v8ing. They even run terrible setups when they roam (running stealthers and such). Herorius will form a zerg whenever he dies and even then he'll bring from a semi fair keep fight

Oh yeah, I've seen the 2 reaver 2 inf comps, still win all their fights lol
  • Shoke wrote: »
    Difference is, Xuu's group ran drafts to get more balanced groups out 8v8ing. They even run terrible setups when they roam (running stealthers and such). Herorius will form a zerg whenever he dies and even then he'll bring from a semi fair keep fight

Oh yeah, I've seen the 2 reaver 2 inf comps, still win all their fights lol

one way to find stealth groups lol
    with no heals ...
    The fact that IRC is this regularly mentioned shows how far gone the game is tho. Population is so bad they make up such a significant portion of the newly concentrated player base. Didn’t used to be mentioned at all other than in 8v8 circles. As far as herorius is concerned tho... I mean... from a simplistic sense at least he gives people a home which is good for the game. You can either be welcomed by that guy and whatever experience comes with it no matter how stale OR get picked up by some 8v8 group and told how bad you are before you’re never grouped again.

I think you have a very negative view of what's left in terms of playerbase. Some players are douchebags, no doubt. But usually, when a group pugs someone from region, the expectations are low, no point in starting to bash that player into the ground. At the same time, players pugging need to stop being snowflakes and understand what constructive criticism is. You could have done X, Y and Z in this situation often gets interpreted as insults...
  • My wife and I recently returned. We are having fun. So..do not say don’t bother.
  • this game is already dead at his current state no offense.
  • K4NI wrote: »
    this game is already dead at his current state no offense.
    Then no need for you to even commit or try to drive people away

• There is a lot of low effort stuff that that Broadsword could do to make a better impression for new and returning players, but for some reason there is seemingly zero drive to get it done. These discussion tend to focus solely on the state of RvR, but there is far more that goes into a new/returning player's impressions of the game than what happens at 50.

I'm not currently subscribed so I can't check to be sure, but I'm willing to bet that character creation still describes Necromancers as turning into shades and acting through their minion. The tutorial quest where your trainer describes each specline to the player gives wrong information in multiple cases. The ingame help/tip boxes that periodically pop up are full of outdated, mostly irrelevant information. Some of them even direct players to NPCs who then give quests that send them into Catacombs zones that are no longer accessible. The starter guilds serve essentially no purpose and are largely ghost towns these days, some other system that pairs up new players with willing mentors would be welcome. These are among the first things a new player sees, and in many cases the information is flat out wrong.

I've reported these things years ago, and it all remains untouched. Simple text updates are all it would take in most cases. I'm sure everyone at BS are hard working people, but I don't believe for one moment that everyone's schedule is so tight that no one can spare the time to fix some text boxes. They remain the way they are because they're deemed unimportant.

Are these huge game breaking issues, particularly for veterans? No. But I know from personal experience trying to get people to try the game out that it leaves a huge negative first impression for a new player to see the game give incorrect information and then be told that the problem isn't that they're misreading or misunderstanding anything, it's that the game is giving outdated information that the developers never bothered to update.

Yes the players have some responsibility in welcoming new players to the game, but they can only do so much. It becomes difficult to convince new/returning players (who haven't invested 10+ years of their lives into the game) that they should care about the game when the developers seemingly do not. Because that's the impression this sort of stuff gives.
  • edited February 2021 PM
    Very good points Drane. When I tried playing after a few years there were similar things I noticed. Bugged quests/training windows that don’t properly display things that should be displayed/misspellings in campaign dialogues if you actually read them. Little things like that add up and made me naturally wonder whether or not the “devs” are just waiting for their next job or something.
    Very good points Drane. When I tried playing after a few years there were similar things I noticed. Bugged quests/training windows that don’t properly display things that should be displayed/misspellings in campaign dialogues if you actually read them. Little things like that add up and made me naturally wonder whether or not the “devs” are just waiting for their next job or something.

Even the Withdraw button on the Consignment Merchants still is mis-spelled as WIHTDRAW!
  • I resubscribed this weekend to confirm the consignment merchant typo. I'm LFG in Mag Mell, its good to see everyone.
  • edited March 2021 PM
    Nice at this point the typo is a relic and i think most you just get mad if it was fix XD
    Post edited by Names on
  • I'm really surprised I can't try out the classes before subscribing :| Rather, I have to pay 15 $ to really try out the class I would come back for, which isn't cool. They should allow all classes to be played to level 19. Then require 15 a month if you want to continue with the *premium* ones or something like that.

I'm also surprised that the game fails to support modern monitor resolutions for the UI. Consequently the UI elements are all really really TINY. the map and questing blips are pixel sized. Its flat out just hard to read. To be fair you can tweak the system wide OS Fonts (outside of the game) and the computers main resolution (out side of the game). then start the game but thats not cool :), UI element scaling should be in game.

I'm also concerned, in regards to level 50 RVR that I'd be going against players that WAY out match me due to time and gear investments, just not sure I'd enjoy it once I got there. though if I recall Molvik was awesome and I'd probably turn off my xp gains once I Got there, if there are players to fight.
  • dont come back. game is hero for 4 hours daily and no opposition. then game is mid.. log of hib zerg and go mid. albs have a 2% chance of doing anything . not hero fault . is bs fault for making realmhopping in 15 the norm. .
  • Bowatg wrote: »
    dont come back. game is hero for 4 hours daily and no opposition. then game is mid.. log of hib zerg and go mid. albs have a 2% chance of doing anything . not hero fault . is bs fault for making realmhopping in 15 the norm. .

Alb cant do anything because they follow a Leader that does nothing. If someone else tried, then you would have 2 Bgs like when Billings and Nate ran BGs. If they had a leader to was proactive instead of just sit in Bold, more people would go to Alb. Hero and Leegyn both attack keeps with rescue camps Bold. Granted Hero attacks empty keeps because most EUs are on hib and dont want to fight him. Leegyn will hit a keep full of Albs and we have a 45 min keep fight. While rescue logs off.

You right, should be no timer to swap. Cant do drafts anymore.
  • Minibard wrote: »
    Bowatg wrote: »
    dont come back. game is hero for 4 hours daily and no opposition. then game is mid.. log of hib zerg and go mid. albs have a 2% chance of doing anything . not hero fault . is bs fault for making realmhopping in 15 the norm. .

Alb cant do anything because they follow a Leader that does nothing. If someone else tried, then you would have 2 Bgs like when Billings and Nate ran BGs. If they had a leader to was proactive instead of just sit in Bold, more people would go to Alb. Hero and Leegyn both attack keeps with rescue camps Bold. Granted Hero attacks empty keeps because most EUs are on hib and dont want to fight him. Leegyn will hit a keep full of Albs and we have a 45 min keep fight. While rescue logs off.

You right, should be no timer to swap. Cant do drafts anymore.

If you try to run a bg there many albs.. like Bowa.. will flame you for it and call you a cross realmer etc etc etc. They will try to show the rest of the albs that you are secretly there to steal the map of camelot. they will spend their time doing that instead of following you and helping the realm.
  • rofl. nice try. keep hopping the realms for fun ghaval. if you PLAY alb and do not hop around like a worthless zerger you can earn respect. At least Rescu is alb and PLAYS alb do or die. at Least rescu is loyal to alb . As for me? I only flame the trash who constantly hop realms looking for easy rps. I may not agree with Rescu on his tactics but he is ALB AND PLAYS ALB.
  • It's ok to roleplay @Bowatg. Just don't forget it's a video game.
  • puter wrote: »
    It's ok to roleplay @Bowatg. Just don't forget it's a video game.

Ok just check your toons for played hours and tell me 'its just a video game'. :)

Ok just check your toons for played hours and tell me 'its just a video game'. :)

It has always just been a video game regardless of the hours put in. The game is approaching 20 years old... what point are you trying to make with /played? I know numerous people who have played other games for thousands of hours as well.
  • I just received a 5 day ban for scripting/macroing while running one account. So no, i wouldn't consider subscribing if i were anyone unless a company that values their customers takes over DAoC.
  • Quinga wrote: »
    I just received a 5 day ban for scripting/macroing while running one account. So no, i wouldn't consider subscribing if i were anyone unless a company that values their customers takes over DAoC.

This sounds suspicious. As far as I know, scripting/macro'ing a single account has been allowed for quite a while. Not saying it didn't happen to you but I'm suspicious there is more to it than what was presented.
  • Doubt he's telling the truth
  • I have no reason to lie. My ban has expired and I can play my account if I choose. You are free to believe it or not, makes no difference. I'm just trying to inform whoever is interested in hearing about what Broadsword did to me.

269 days 11 hrs 17 min Thats just one toon. I guess I like this game.
  • edited April 2021 PM
    Hey there, I´ve just reactivated my account after centuries :D - almost.
    Which server shall I got to? I play a Midgard Hunter.

Thanks, Hurul
    Post edited by Hurul on
  • Hurul wrote: »
    Hey there, I´ve just reactivated my account after centuries :D - almost.
    Which server shall I got to? I play a Midgard Hunter.

Thanks, Hurul

Ywain. Pick a house on any Ywain from 1 to 10.
  • I agree with the original poster, after coming back and *trying* to get back into the game it has WAY to many problems for new players or returning players

A few things returning or new players should know. First the game has been gutted. what I mean is that you basically have an express leveling path to around level 35 THEN you are expected to go to Molvik and battle grounds to progress.

The expansions have also been disabled. you heard right. want to go to catacombs. FORGET it, they disabled it. again gutted the game.

The UI is ancient and out of date, no UI scaling, the map is impossible to read, and many basic features other MMOs have are just flat out missing.

Next battle grounds.. Don't bother unless you have a pack of friends to run with. And don't try to Solo as a new or returning player the experience is one of go out, get farmed, repeat. Its not worth it.

AND Soloing as a stealth class is just as bad, your experience will be to sit and wait, and wait and wait... or roam and roam and roam. Any chance to engage is typically an express train to /release.

The next problem is that players are cross realming, meaning players from opposing realms meet out on the BG to hang out.

The next problem are BOT and multi-box groups, good luck with that.

the next problem is zerging. no body is really doing keep defense, its all about swarming in predefined paths and sweeping up and farming players. the excitement of long drawn out castle battles is gone.

The next problem is that long playing old school classes with master crafted or special dropped gear, RR, Master levels, its is impossible to play against these players

Next problem. Population. yup its pretty much dead. when people say daoc has become a solo game, they aren't kidding.

So should you give Broadsword 15$ a month? No. Should you come back, Only if you want to just see some of the zones for old time sake. You can do that on a F2P server, also there are other options out there that are F2P, which might be better.

It is too bad this game fell apart, hasn't been maintained or improved, and sad that PVE has been gutted.
  • edited May 2021 PM
    I agree with the original poster, after coming back and *trying* to get back into the game it has WAY to many problems for new players or returning players

A few things returning or new players should know. First the game has been gutted. what I mean is that you basically have an express leveling path to around level 35 THEN you are expected to go to Molvik and battle grounds to progress.

The expansions have also been disabled. you heard right. want to go to catacombs. FORGET it, they disabled it. again gutted the game.

The UI is ancient and out of date, no UI scaling, the map is impossible to read, and many basic features other MMOs have are just flat out missing.

Next battle grounds.. Don't bother unless you have a pack of friends to run with. And don't try to Solo as a new or returning player the experience is one of go out, get farmed, repeat. Its not worth it.

AND Soloing as a stealth class is just as bad, your experience will be to sit and wait, and wait and wait... or roam and roam and roam. Any chance to engage is typically an express train to /release.

The next problem is that players are cross realming, meaning players from opposing realms meet out on the BG to hang out.

The next problem are BOT and multi-box groups, good luck with that.

the next problem is zerging. no body is really doing keep defense, its all about swarming in predefined paths and sweeping up and farming players. the excitement of long drawn out castle battles is gone.

The next problem is that long playing old school classes with master crafted or special dropped gear, RR, Master levels, its is impossible to play against these players

Next problem. Population. yup its pretty much dead. when people say daoc has become a solo game, they aren't kidding.

So should you give Broadsword 15$ a month? No. Should you come back, Only if you want to just see some of the zones for old time sake. You can do that on a F2P server, also there are other options out there that are F2P, which might be better.

It is too bad this game fell apart, hasn't been maintained or improved, and sad that PVE has been gutted.

THe issue with pve is that it requires a certain level of population to be enjoyable. They have been adding significant PvE content in the last 5 years (otherworldly campaign and Cursed campaign). These PvE campaings have recently had their difficulty reduced because there weren't enough players interested in doing them to keep them with a BG requirement. You can do these campaigns with a FG.

The goal of the game is to pvp, so the actions taken over the last few years were aimed at building a quick path to pvp. I don't think anyone enjoys smacking mobs for hours to grind levels. It isn't fun. It was a necessary torture that, a long time ago, was made bearable by making new friends in the process.

UI was a big project they were supposed to launch... roughly 2 years ago. So yeah no excuses on that one. Using custom UIs definitely improves the game. I don't suggest anyone to use the atlantis/standard UI. Custom UIs are super simple to install and get going, and some of them offer interesting customization.

BGs are very clicky. It's been the same 10-15 players hanging in Molvik for the past 10 years. Unless you want to stick around, I'd suggest migrating to NF where it's way more friendly.

How are bots a problem? Because players have buffs, that you have access to through a Supremacy pot? Or you mean people that run around with a bot stuck to them.

Multiboxing is not legal in normal rvr zones and tbh, I haven't come across a macro team in rvr in the last 5 years. Not sure how that's a problem.

You talk about no keep defense, but at the same time you have the mid BG leader in US prime that complains that all he has are keep fights and no open field fights. Could be time zone related.

Population could definitely use a boost. Events attract players, so more events, the more chance players try the game again and stick around.

Daoc isn't an easy game, it takes time. You can't expect to log back in in a 2005 template and not get destroyed. It's the same for any game that has had incremental gear improvements over the years. Templating has never been easier since the launch of the game, so giving that has an excuse is meh.
    Post edited by Shoke on