Classic Server and Ywain's Future

12346»

Comments

• I can only imagine how exciting these Zoom meetings are about “Classic”

How they plan to implement classic without hurting and cutting the Ywain population is beyond me.

The only solution I can envision is that it would have to be a limited duration season or Ladder; much like D3 or Path of Exile. Otherwise Ywain will be a ghost town if the population dips even further.

GL
  • Ywain doesn't have the population to run a "classic" server. A battleground, at best, maybe, but not an entire server.
  • edited June 2020 PM
    Seasonal or ladder sever ? That doesn't matter imo^^. What is the benefit and good for users? The main reason users quit this game is not because of the realm rank difference. It is because of running all the time(across rvr zone),zerg all the time(there is no clear way to do 8man fight,always add), time consuming lfg. Current daoc users are fine,they are loyal users. But thinking about other users (potent new comer and retuners) and other alternative fun games...would they chose and play daoc and this game would survive with seasonal daoc leveling('cough'server)? Hm.....yes many will try with nostalgia feeling in the begining but i doubt the new server would survive long with same problems
    Post edited by CreatE on
  • Do people not understand that Ywain CLEARLY isn't drawing in any new players? And what would draw in potentially thousands of customers, is somewhat of a classic ruleset? Hence population boost.
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • Realm rank difference is big point for alot of people.
    You can hear frequently from people not playing ywain bec. "everyone is RR12".
    Next thing is: they all hack and cheat.
  • The only players really at a disadvantage due to RR are EC accounts. Subs can gain RR ridiculously fast with all the bonuses in place. RR11 is the new RR5.
  • For me and many otheres its the rr difference and elite players that make me not want to play i would gladly start everything over if it ment an even playing field besides a new server mean thoses that only 8man or solo can finally have what they want if everyone stops play ywain will be a lot less people adding your fights or bg thats chase you every where.
  • Elite players will kill you either way
  • edited June 2020 PM
    An even playing field will only last a few months. RR disparity should not be the sole reason for making another server. It's very fast, compared to pre-Broadsword days, to gain RR. The major bottleneck is RR11. Considering the cap is RR14, this disparity is very small. With all the bonuses in place for Veteran accounts (EC accounts suffer here), RR disparity really is a non-issue. "Elite" players will always exist regardless of what game you play. The real issue here is low population.

A new server may flood players in for the first couple months but then it will rapidly decline. Where the population steadies will be determined by player interest and, more importantly, what the developers do to maintain that interest. A seasonal server could work but may quickly become dull unless new content is included in each cycle. A separate ruleset server, if classic, needs to be competitive to what's already available to avoid splitting the current population further. Either way, Broadsword needs to bring in new players which is difficult to do for a nearly 20 year old game. Steam could help dramatically in terms of exposure but it could also kill any potential for revival if the current F2P model isn't improved upon. I won't reiterate suggestions for improving the F2P model here as they are posted thoroughly throughout these forums.
    Post edited by puter on
  • make a 4,99 / month sub without price reduction for year sub.
    make a cosmectic no P4C or P2W with alot of things to buy.
    make a marketing campaign about best lore/RVR potatoe pc game to play.

if you succeed to get the same income you need only to multiply your population by about 2,75.
    your game is saved.
  • AlaskaMike wrote: »
    There's a couple main points I'd like to make.

New servers don't last. They never do. Population starts out awesome, but real life happens and pop dwindles. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since the goal is to promote freshness instead of stagnation. Look at blizzard games with seasons (or Lol, or many good games really).

Make a couple changes (add SI, toa, catacombs, mordred, whatever) for a season, reset progression, then let it go for 6mo to a year, and do it again with more changes for the next time. Rinse repeat. Meanwhile, transfer toons to ywain to keep your hard work/investment in time.

Keeps the game fresh. Each season is fundamentally different. There's a reason to play the next season, because it will be a NEW experience.
    Each new season will reset the population counter. We've seen it again and again with other servers. People always come back to something new. Pop dies? Reset, good pop again!

Now, additionally I would like them to also make it somewhat restrictive to promote making each season a completely brand new experience.
    1) Lock down realms. 1 realm per season. If you wanna switch realms, gotta delete toons and start over, sorry. Bring back realm pride and completely get rid of xrealmers. It's not permanent, it's only for a few months.
    If you wanna play with your buddies on a different realm, log into ywain. Or communicate beforehand what realm your going to this season.
    This game was based on consequences. There are major QOL improvements yes. But sometimes making the game too easy is detrimental. (realm timers, zerg pveing keeps, etc.). If one realm becomes a powerhouse, it's up to the other two realms to nonstop hammer the other one for a month or 6. If that's not enough and pop dies? Just reset server lol. Instant more population.
    2) lock it down to paying subs only. This actually does two things, helps keep gold sellers out (short duration servers, why pay money to farm), and gives BS a direct financial boost. Free players have ywain. People will PAY to have an even playing field in rvr.

I would be highly impressed if 30% of the server can make rr10 in just a few months (depending on rules, heck one season could have 50x rps).
    Those that can make rr10 quickly will have legit earned name recognition. They will have accomplishment and pride (and keep paying for next season) and people will have a goal to strive towards (and keep paying for next season).

Season ending could correspond with some holiday periods and bring a big boost of players back to ywain for a couple months while the new season is getting prepared. This also will keep the game fresh for all.

Also, constant new servers will cater to quite a few playstyles.
    Hardcores will get the recognition they want by achieving high rr quickly.
    Filthy casuals will actually get the comraderie that's currently missing from lack of xp groups.
    Raiders and leaders will actually have reasons to raid/lead. People legit need the gear, can't just buy everything.
    Crafters will be able to get business for the work they put into crafting. Everyone and their mom won't have every single craft legendary on an alt.
    Farmers will have something to collect.
    OCD gamers gotta collect em all, and pay to do it, see below...

Side notes, make a leader board for more than just rps. Trophies in a personal/guild house. Crafting skills. Level 50 toons on the account. Make 50 different leader boards for any and all playstyles.
    Total rps healed, deathblows, solo kills in rvr (both by toon, and account based). Legion kills. Dragon kills. If there's a title, make a leaderboard. Heck, make a leaderboard for total titles. Give a free month to every person who won the hard leaderboards at season end. Give a season pass to whoever got the most number 1 spots on the leaderboard. Give a free mansion at the very front of housing for the top guilds next season, etc.
    Make statues for every single leaderboard in a new hall of heroes in housing or something. Reset each season (statues are of who won last season). This keeps game clutter down, super easy to just change names each time. Or instead, give them a statue they can put in their yard in housing. Maybe on ywain also? (but temporary)

Get that competition flowing and make everyone have goals to strive towards each season, and you'll get people hooked.

If you focus on a task for a few months to be the best, it'll keep you playing. If you try to keep the top 5 spot in anything for 10 years, your going to burn out. Next season, switch to a different goal or two.

Personally, I'd love to be the person with the most completed Labby boss encounters, or teleports on alts, who cares. Number 1!!!

Just a few thoughts I guess...
    If anyone thinks any of these ideas are somewhat good, plz tag Carol or John or someone. I won't complain, I just want a Reason to give them my $$

The season's idea is a good one, it's something I've thought about before (I play a lot of PoE and one thing that keeps people coming back is every other league/season is different than the last) - obviously, it's easier to push onto an ARPG than an MMO but they could definitely do some things with DAOC to fit with seasonal stuff.

Just an example of the stuff they could do

Season with increased spec points
    Season with significantly higher ROG imbue values
    Season where you can build your own class, you get to pick 3 of any speclines from any class

You get the idea. Defo love the seasonal idea though.
  • K4NI wrote: »
    make a 4,99 / month sub without price reduction for year sub.
    make a cosmectic no P4C or P2W with alot of things to buy.
    make a marketing campaign about best lore/RVR potatoe pc game to play.

if you succeed to get the same income you need only to multiply your population by about 2,75.
    your game is saved.

A reduction in sub cost will do nothing to help the game. The current cost is not a barrier to entry for this market. Improving the F2P system and cosmetics may be a way to go.
  • Names wrote: »
    For me and many otheres its the rr difference and elite players that make me not want to play i would gladly start everything over if it ment an even playing field besides a new server mean thoses that only 8man or solo can finally have what they want if everyone stops play ywain will be a lot less people adding your fights or bg thats chase you every where.

That doesn't make sense because it won't be an even playing field for long. The elite and 8 man players will pull ahead of the herd sooner rather than later. Once that happens, it will be the same complaints from the lower RR peeps.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • edited February 2021 PM
    That argument has never made sense. You'd be on an "even" (better players will still beat you) playing field for like 2 weeks
    Post edited by Triq02_Dave on
  • Sry thought i had edited that post what i ment is the hardcore 8mans or soloer would have a place with less interruptions on ywain and at rhe moment on ywain all the elites are oready sofar ahead it wont matter but ya even on the new server the elites will pull ahead again but at least theres a chance for more people if they advertise the game more then word of mouth
  • Right nkw the only pug grp i see is the alb trap grp as funny as that seems to be i might just join them randomly to see how fun it is or at least see how they dont get bored XD
  • @Names A fresh start is only good to encourage new players to join the game since everyone will start at the same point creating a pseudo-vibrant leveling community. It also appeases to the nostalgic returning player crowd. It does not solve the difference in skill between casuals and hardcore players (often incorrectly cited as difference in RR) as that is intrinsic to the players. However, the skill gap can be narrowed a bit in a classic setting compared to Ywain due to less abilities to manage which may appeal to a larger player base. That will likely be the key to a classic servers success: less overall abilities (often viewed incorrectly as I win buttons) coupled with some modern day QoL while still maintaining the nostalgic feel of early 2000s DAoC.
  • null

I agree puter. I know a handful of people in my circle that would play up to level 50, if value is put on the leveling process.

If people claim that instant leveling provides them with "quality" opponents in rvr, they haven't realized that is why the population is falling.

RvR will only ever be half of the game. If you want to play games that are strictly pvp based, I can make some recommendations, none of which are DAOC.

Cheers,
    Ermmuss
  • @Ermmuss The leveling process doesn't necessarily make for quality RvR opponents either, but it does give new players the time to learn some game mechanics. Veteran players simply don't benefit from leveling outside of nostalgia. While I agree that PvE is an important aspect of the game, it is still a means to an end. No game to date has the dynamic PvP that DAoC does. That's why we still play, whether it's Ywain or elsewhere.
  • As long as they dont force my chars on ywain again after a set period of time im happy to throw money at them.
    But i wont waste any of my time and money otherwise.
  • Ermmuss wrote: »
    null

I agree puter. I know a handful of people in my circle that would play up to level 50, if value is put on the leveling process.

If people claim that instant leveling provides them with "quality" opponents in rvr, they haven't realized that is why the population is falling.

RvR will only ever be half of the game. If you want to play games that are strictly pvp based, I can make some recommendations, none of which are DAOC.

Cheers,
    Ermmuss

could you name a few :)
  • Roll it out already! I have 20 people I can get on board right now. People willing to play Daoc in a different state from the actual company. Let’s goooooooo