NPC/Player disappearing bug response from BS

KatKat
edited September 2018 in General Board
The response in the grab bag to this game breaking issue is insufficient.

The lack of information does make this worse. Took over a month to get an official reply, and the best we get is "someday it will be fixed". And, I don't think we would have even received this crappy update if a few of us haven't been pushing for information. This is a pretty big problem. How about telling the PAYING public why the product we are buying is faulty? What happened? What changed and what needs to be fixed? This break didn't happen by itself. Is it something with Amazon? Was some code accidentally broken when working on new patch? What happened??

So many bugs in this game, that we just get used to it...consider it the 'new normal' - and clearly BS wants us to do that with this new one. And, we have done that for years...pet pathing, right click crash, city crash....etc etc etc. As a paying public, we have been somewhat complicit in this horrible situation...we have accepted all these bugs and kept paying. But this one is the worst - and we should never accept it as the 'new normal'. We srsly have the right to know why the product we are paying is not working correctly, with a realistic time frame for the fix.
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• You sure you didn’t just kite too far to see anyone?
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • Sym wrote: »
    You sure you didn’t just kite too far to see anyone?
    That is a good funny there... but tbh, this is an actual bug.
    ~Westies
  • I know but I couldn’t pass up the lolz
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • Seems my work is done - Next on the list...getting the hunter rr5 fixed!

(couldn't pass up the lolz :P)
  • I think you can fix it by playing hybrid...
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • Sym wrote: »
    I think you can fix it by playing hybrid...

I would say that 'fix' is almost as bad as 'zone once in a while to avoid disappear bug' :wink:
  • Folks, regarding the "disappearing character" issue there needs to be some clarification. There are 2 separate issues with this. The first of those issues involves a client-only bug that we identified a fix for last week and implemented yesterday. Unfortunately, this client-only issue is the rarer of the 2 and one that would only affect 1 character becoming invisible on screen.

The other "disappearing characterS" issue where multiple characters/monsters/pets/objects disappear off the screen is a connection issue. As of our investigations thus far - this is most likely NOT a game-related issue as it only started occuring about 2-3 weeks ago and no changes have been made to the game recently that would point to an issue like this starting. Connection issues aren't necessarily an ISP issue, and we don't think this issue is an ISP-related one, but our best theory is that this may be some sort of hardware/firmware/firewall update or common app running in tandem with DAOC that is impacting players who happen to have gotten that update or are running some common application that changed and is now causing issues with DAOC.

What we'd like from those that are experiencing the multiple characters/monsters/pets/objects disappearing at once issue to do is to try logging into the game without any other 3rd party apps running and see if they can still reproduce the issue. If they can't, start opening up other apps you normally use until you see the issue again.

In the meantime, we'll continue gathering information and working towards a fix for this matter. But to be clear, there is no timetable on a fix of this 2nd issue on our end as all of our indications are that it's a connection issue and not a game-related issue.
  • edited September 2018 PM
    [edited]
    Post edited by Driralin on
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • I submitted my info. Hope that helps
  • I am experiencing the "ALL characters disappearing" bug in all locations that I have been in ( granted not many, Jordhiem, Camelot, the tutorial on a new character.. however, I'm on a EC account. Granted a returning player with level 50s but my suspicion has little to do with levels.

Is the bug only happening with EC players or, Kat, are you experiencing the "All characters disappear" bug and are subscribed?
    NONE of my business (Kat) but..it was suggested that Broadsword is sending a ping to client for identity (EC clients) to ensure they are only running 1 client as it is part of the "Free to Play" restrictions. Ball parking here but when you introduce a system and the bug becomes apparent it may actually be more systemic than one might think..
    I don't know all the dates so if this happened before EC then?? - then again I remember when I was multi-boxing and got the word that "Trial Accounts" were no longer allowed to Multi-box and all the cry babies poured their tears over the RVR, so there was that restriction as well..

If all of this has nothing to do with said idea then just let it be known that the BUG is still happening and I run at 200Mbps Down and 11Mbps Up with all green lights on the performance meters in game... (Ding!!) Unless of course it is purely a video graphics issue... R9 380 with only 2 gigs of ram..
    Let us know something pls..
  • I think @Ciddire ran this down somewhat from my understanding it's an issue with Routers, maybe he can clarify here.
  • edited November 2019 PM
    I am experiencing the "ALL characters disappearing" bug in all locations that I have been in ( granted not many, Jordhiem, Camelot, the tutorial on a new character.. however, I'm on a EC account. Granted a returning player with level 50s but my suspicion has little to do with levels.

Is the bug only happening with EC players or, Kat, are you experiencing the "All characters disappear" bug and are subscribed?
    NONE of my business (Kat) but..it was suggested that Broadsword is sending a ping to client for identity (EC clients) to ensure they are only running 1 client as it is part of the "Free to Play" restrictions. Ball parking here but when you introduce a system and the bug becomes apparent it may actually be more systemic than one might think..
    I don't know all the dates so if this happened before EC then?? - then again I remember when I was multi-boxing and got the word that "Trial Accounts" were no longer allowed to Multi-box and all the cry babies poured their tears over the RVR, so there was that restriction as well..

If all of this has nothing to do with said idea then just let it be known that the BUG is still happening and I run at 200Mbps Down and 11Mbps Up with all green lights on the performance meters in game... (Ding!!) Unless of course it is purely a video graphics issue... R9 380 with only 2 gigs of ram..
    Let us know something pls..
    Fateboi wrote: »
    I think @Ciddire ran this down somewhat from my understanding it's an issue with Routers, maybe he can clarify here.

I've been helping people with this issue for over a year now. In 75% of the cases it was due to poor QoS handling by consumer grade networking equipment. The other 25% was mostly related to issues between EU ISPs and AWS(which DAoC uses to host) which was resolved by using a high-performance VPN.

The tl;dr breakdown of this issue has to do with the way consumer ISPs handle speed, the goal is speed NOT reliability. It's only started to get worse recently because most US ISPs have started pushing 'high-speed' internet on lines / equipment under-sized or overused causing the overall packet quality to drop. The primary audience of these 'high-speed' packages are consumers who stream video (where packet collision / loss isn't as noticeable.) To a degree, all online games are affected by this change in quality, but older games like EQ & DAoC are more susceptible to these issues than most.

There are a few things you can do to resolve the issue yourself.

1) Depending on your network equipment, you may be able to set per-device or per application QoS rules.
    Enabling QoS rules will reduce your internet speed depending on how good your router / gateway is. Most consumer ISP provided gateways (Modem + Router combo device) are horrible at QoS and will reduce connection speed dramatically (I've seen 50%.) If you are technical enough, replacing your network with your own equipment is highly advisable.

2) Using a gaming focused VPN like WTFast may help as well. *note: I haven't personally tested this, but have had several people report back that it's helped them.

Post edited by Ciddire on
  • edited November 2019 PM
    I haven't experience issues like this in DAoC but have in other games like TF2, BFV etc..

Just going to add QoS services may exist on your routers or computers. For example Killer Nic cards or other motherboard manufactures QoS prioritization tools may not realize "Daoc" or "camelot.dll" needs to be prioritized and may by default make these processes lower in the network prioritization stack.

Personally I disable QoS on all devices and machines on my network.

On my router I disable QoS service and on my Windows 10 machine where I have Killer Nic network card I disable the "Killer Nic Windows Service".

If you can post the specifications of your machine we may be able to provide better help.

I also know from work, Cogent in europe has a peering issue and packet loss issues.
    Post edited by razor667 on
  • Kat wrote: »
    Seems my work is done - Next on the list...getting the hunter rr5 fixed!

(couldn't pass up the lolz :P)
    I wish I could lolz at how ridiculous it is that they changed our RR5 but instead I was shocked.

Still am.
  • Thank you greatly for the advice and info Ciddire and razor667.. I will be setting my QoS accordingly after I build out my new PC "THAT JUST ARIVED!"...(weeeee)..
  • I came back to play after being gone for over a year. I made zero changes to my set up. I played for a week, and did not have the bug once. I am not sure what BS changed, but it seemed to work. Kind of sad it took so long for them to realize that they could fix it. Technology changes, and it is the responsibility of older games to do what they can to keep the game updated to handle the changes.
  • edited March 2020 PM
    i came back after few years i hadn't this bug and now i have the bug to often 2 bugs in 5mn... its abused... and nothing have change on my computer... i had just uninstalled the game and reinstalled now...
    Post edited by asgorns on